Activate COM function and not wait for execution
Author Message
 Activate COM function and not wait for execution

Hello,

I have already written an ActiveX DLL with VB6.0 SP5.

What i want to do now is execute a function that is in this DLL, but I don't
want to wait until this function finishes every task it has to do. Instead I
want to return immediatelly to the program that is calling this DLL
function. In fact it will be an ASP page that will call this function.

I don't think an ActiveX EXE will be a solution because I have to pass
arrays to this function.

Is there anyone who can tell me how i can call this dll in such a way that
it starts executing and keeps turning in the background.

Thanks in advance

Johan

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:56:23 GMT
 Activate COM function and not wait for execution

Hello,

I have already written an ActiveX DLL with VB6.0 SP5.

What i want to do now is execute a function that is in this DLL, but I don't
want to wait until this function finishes every task it has to do. Instead I
want to return immediatelly to the program that is calling this DLL
function. In fact it will be an ASP page that will call this function.

I don't think an ActiveX EXE will be a solution because I have to pass
arrays to this function.

Is there anyone who can tell me how i can call this dll in such a way that
it starts executing and keeps turning in the background.

I think in order to do this you will need to look at using Microsoft Message
Queue.

http://www.microsoft.com/msmq/default.htm

I'm not aware of any method that will allow you to run a process in the
background from an ActiveX DLL that will be called from your ASP page and which
will be running in the process of IIS.

If you turn your Active DLL into a "listener" component for Message Queue you
could just asynchronously queue a message for the component to respond to that
will trigger the execution of your task.

Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 22:09:40 GMT
 Activate COM function and not wait for execution
Also look into Queued Components if you have COM+/Win 2000.

Quote:
> Hello,

> I have already written an ActiveX DLL with VB6.0 SP5.

> What i want to do now is execute a function that is in this DLL, but I
don't
> want to wait until this function finishes every task it has to do. Instead
> want to return immediatelly to the program that is calling this DLL
> function. In fact it will be an ASP page that will call this function.

> I don't think an ActiveX EXE will be a solution because I have to pass
> arrays to this function.

> Is there anyone who can tell me how i can call this dll in such a way that
> it starts executing and keeps turning in the background.

> Thanks in advance

> Johan

Sat, 11 Sep 2004 06:39:05 GMT

1. call com component and not wait for execution

2. Wait function not using any recources

3. Changing Mouse Pointer during execution of a lengthy procedure activated by a CommandButton

4. Waiting for Shelled App to finish before resuming execution of parent app

5. Wait - ie pause execution x number of seconds.

6. Wait for Window to Activate

7. Waiting for execution to finish

8. how to make execution wait for user interaction??

9. how to make execution wait for user interaction

10. hot to make execution wait for user interaction?

11. how to mae sub execution wait for user/control input

12. how to make execution wait for user interaction