ocx versus dll, Can somebody explain...
Author Message
 ocx versus dll, Can somebody explain...

Hi,

I'm making a ActiveX user-control with InvisibleAtRuntime=True. It won't
have any userinterface. Now I'm wondering, is it perhaps better to make
only a ActiveX Dll. What will be the advantages/disadvantages of both
manners?

Thanks in advance,
Leo

Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:30:40 GMT
 ocx versus dll, Can somebody explain...
The main advantage of using a user control (OCX) is that you can assign the
values of some parameters at design time and that the form containing the
control will automatically instantiate the control and load these
properties. It will also readily allow you to add the methods for its events
using the IDE. If you write the code as an ActiveX DLL, you will have to do
a little more work to set it up, but it will probably use fewer resources
when running. You can also use it in situations where you might not want to
create a form to contain the control.

The choice is yours! :o)

Ade.

Quote:
> Hi,

> I'm making a ActiveX user-control with InvisibleAtRuntime=True. It won't
> have any userinterface. Now I'm wondering, is it perhaps better to make
> only a ActiveX Dll. What will be the advantages/disadvantages of both
> manners?

> Thanks in advance,
> Leo

Sun, 28 Dec 2003 22:54:47 GMT
 ocx versus dll, Can somebody explain...
Small addition: DLL uses a lot fewer resources. Surely.

Quote:
> The main advantage of using a user control (OCX) is that you can assign
the
> values of some parameters at design time and that the form containing the
> control will automatically instantiate the control and load these
> properties. It will also readily allow you to add the methods for its
events
> using the IDE. If you write the code as an ActiveX DLL, you will have to
do
> a little more work to set it up, but it will probably use fewer resources
> when running. You can also use it in situations where you might not want
> create a form to contain the control.

> The choice is yours! :o)

> Ade.

> > Hi,

> > I'm making a ActiveX user-control with InvisibleAtRuntime=True. It won't
> > have any userinterface. Now I'm wondering, is it perhaps better to make
> > only a ActiveX Dll. What will be the advantages/disadvantages of both
> > manners?

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Leo

Sun, 28 Dec 2003 23:00:18 GMT
 ocx versus dll, Can somebody explain...
Yep, that's what I said. :o)

Quote:
> Small addition: DLL uses a lot fewer resources. Surely.

> > using the IDE. If you write the code as an ActiveX DLL, you will have to
> do
> > a little more work to set it up, but it will probably use fewer
resources
> > when running. You can also use it in situations where you might not want

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 02:08:47 GMT
 ocx versus dll, Can somebody explain...
I'd go with a DLL.  As someone mentioned you might want to use it
without a form.  It is also much easier to dynamically create objects
within DLLs rather than controls.

Matt

Quote:

> Small addition: DLL uses a lot fewer resources. Surely.

> > The main advantage of using a user control (OCX) is that you can assign
>  the
> > values of some parameters at design time and that the form containing the
> > control will automatically instantiate the control and load these
> > properties. It will also readily allow you to add the methods for its
>  events
> > using the IDE. If you write the code as an ActiveX DLL, you will have to
>  do
> > a little more work to set it up, but it will probably use fewer resources
> > when running. You can also use it in situations where you might not want
> > create a form to contain the control.

> > The choice is yours! :o)

> > Ade.

> > > Hi,

> > > I'm making a ActiveX user-control with InvisibleAtRuntime=True. It won't
> > > have any userinterface. Now I'm wondering, is it perhaps better to make
> > > only a ActiveX Dll. What will be the advantages/disadvantages of both
> > > manners?

> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Leo

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:56:38 GMT
 ocx versus dll, Can somebody explain...
not to mention the fact tat it will be easy for someone to call from C++.
I'm not sure if that can be done with an ocx.

Quote:
> I'd go with a DLL.  As someone mentioned you might want to use it
> without a form.  It is also much easier to dynamically create objects
> within DLLs rather than controls.

> Matt

Quote:
> > Small addition: DLL uses a lot fewer resources. Surely.

> > > The main advantage of using a user control (OCX) is that you can
assign
> >  the
> > > values of some parameters at design time and that the form containing
the
> > > control will automatically instantiate the control and load these
> > > properties. It will also readily allow you to add the methods for its
> >  events
> > > using the IDE. If you write the code as an ActiveX DLL, you will have
> >  do
> > > a little more work to set it up, but it will probably use fewer
resources
> > > when running. You can also use it in situations where you might not
want
> > > create a form to contain the control.

> > > The choice is yours! :o)

> > > Ade.

Tue, 06 Jan 2004 05:05:09 GMT
 ocx versus dll, Can somebody explain...
Yeah, I'd go with a DLL.  First of all, the C++ language is much more
robust, and secondly you can still call C++ DLLs in VB (once you figure it
out).

Quote:
> not to mention the fact tat it will be easy for someone to call from C++.
> I'm not sure if that can be done with an ocx.

> > I'd go with a DLL.  As someone mentioned you might want to use it
> > without a form.  It is also much easier to dynamically create objects
> > within DLLs rather than controls.

> > Matt

> > > Small addition: DLL uses a lot fewer resources. Surely.

> assign
> > >  the
> the
> > >  events
> > >  do
> resources
> want

> won't
> make
> both

Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:26:27 GMT

1. Please somebody explain how the seek method works!!

2. Can somebody explain what is license for?

3. Can somebody please explain .OCA files ?

4. HELP! COULD SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN THE SCALE COMMANDS

5. Can somebody please explain the following:

6. Please explain registering of ocx/dlls

7. Development Environment Versus EXE: can anyone explain it?

8. Old versus new OCX and DLL problems with VB/Access

9. MMsystem.dll Versus Winmm.dll

10. OLE DLLs versus DLLs

11. Can somebody please explain the following error message I receive when I attempt to compile a UserControl into an .OCX?

12. Somebody knows how to cancel the closing of a form from a ocx