VB 6.0 DLL debugging from ASP/IIS 6.0 in Windows 2003 Server
Author Message
 VB 6.0 DLL debugging from ASP/IIS 6.0 in Windows 2003 Server

Hello,

I am using the following:

- Windows 2003 Server
- IIS 6.0
- VB 6.0
- Visual Studio 6.0

In Windows 2000 server, I used to be able to run a VB COM object (DLL) in
the VB IDE and debug it when I hit an ASP page.  On Windows 2003 Server, I
can't debug if my life depended on it.  When I hit the ASP page, I get:

   Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 8000ffff'
   Server.CreateObject Failed
   /testvbdll.asp, line 17
   8000ffff

If I'm not running the DLL in the VB IDE, then everything works fine (i.e.
the DLL is compiled and registered in COM+).  Here are some of the articles
I've used in the past to setup such a debugging environment in Windows 2000
Server.  I've executed the instructions in these articles on Windows 2003
server, but I keep getting the permissions error from above.

 PRB: Error Occurs When You Debug a COM+ Component Under the Visual Basic
IDE with an ASP Client
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;EN-US;259725

 PRB: Server Object Error 'ASP 0178' Instantiating COM Object
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;EN-US;198432

 BUG: Cannot Debug COM+ Application in Visual Basic IDE Under Windows XP
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;en-us;312280

 BUG: Visual InterDev 6.0 ASP Debugging Does Not Function Properly on a
Windows XP-Based Computer
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;EN-US;312880

 HOWTO: Configure Your Web Server for Visual InterDev 6.0 ASP Debugging
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;EN-US;192011

 HOWTO: Debug ASP Applications Manually Against Windows 2000 Web Server
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;EN-US;258929

I have been working with the standard three tiers (ASP/VB/SQL) for years,
and I thought I knew all tricks - but I've been stuck for the past two days.

In IIS 6.0, under Web Sites Properties / Services I have the option "Run WWW
service in IIS 5.0 isolation mode" turned on (checked).

Does anyone know if there's an extra step needed in Windows 2003 Server?

Thanks,

Emmanuel

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:57:33 GMT
 VB 6.0 DLL debugging from ASP/IIS 6.0 in Windows 2003 Server
I do not know anything about Windows 2003 Server but try this:
--------copy the following lines in notepad and save that as x.reg file----
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{70F214BA-94E2-4bdf-8F30-32CB4A905E4D}\LocalServer3

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\vb6.exe]
"AppId"="{70F214BA-94E2-4bdf-8F30-32CB4A905E4D}"
------------end------
and then run this reg file. May be u know this already, but htis worked on
Win NT/2K/XP.
then run DCOMCNFG (or DCOM configuration) and set the permissions for VB/ASP
Debugging entry.
HTH

--
Ashok Gupta - ashi

> Hello,

> I am using the following:

> - Windows 2003 Server
> - IIS 6.0
> - VB 6.0
> - Visual Studio 6.0

> In Windows 2000 server, I used to be able to run a VB COM object (DLL) in
> the VB IDE and debug it when I hit an ASP page.  On Windows 2003 Server, I
> can't debug if my life depended on it.  When I hit the ASP page, I get:

>    Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 8000ffff'
>    Server.CreateObject Failed
>    /testvbdll.asp, line 17
>    8000ffff

> If I'm not running the DLL in the VB IDE, then everything works fine (i.e.
> the DLL is compiled and registered in COM+).  Here are some of the
articles
> I've used in the past to setup such a debugging environment in Windows
2000
> Server.  I've executed the instructions in these articles on Windows 2003
> server, but I keep getting the permissions error from above.

>  PRB: Error Occurs When You Debug a COM+ Component Under the Visual Basic
> IDE with an ASP Client
>  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;259725

>  PRB: Server Object Error 'ASP 0178' Instantiating COM Object
>  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;198432

>  BUG: Cannot Debug COM+ Application in Visual Basic IDE Under Windows XP
>  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312280

>  BUG: Visual InterDev 6.0 ASP Debugging Does Not Function Properly on a
> Windows XP-Based Computer
>  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;312880

>  HOWTO: Configure Your Web Server for Visual InterDev 6.0 ASP Debugging
>  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;192011

>  HOWTO: Debug ASP Applications Manually Against Windows 2000 Web Server
>  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;258929

> I have been working with the standard three tiers (ASP/VB/SQL) for years,
> and I thought I knew all tricks - but I've been stuck for the past two
days.

> In IIS 6.0, under Web Sites Properties / Services I have the option "Run
WWW
> service in IIS 5.0 isolation mode" turned on (checked).

> Does anyone know if there's an extra step needed in Windows 2003 Server?

> Thanks,

> Emmanuel

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 17:15:04 GMT

1. VB 6.0 DLL debugging from ASP in Windows 2003 Server

2. FYI - CR 6.0, IIS, ASP, Automation Server, Sub-reports

3. Converting existing vb 6.0 application to web server like (IIS server)

4. VB 6.0 windows form not displaying properly in windows server 2008

5. Convert existing app in VB 6.0 to IIS server

6. Problem: DLL VB6 / ASP / Database / Windows 2003

7. VB 6.0 DLL wont work in IIS 5.0?

8. VB 6.0 and IE 6.0 system OCXs and DLLs incompatibilities

9. Debug VB DLL (Design Mode) with ASP/IIS 5.0

10. Debug VB DLL (Design Mode) with ASP/IIS 5.0

11. asp.dll - VB 5.0 vs. VB 6.0

12. VB 5.0 vs. VB 6.0 - ASP.DLL