error 372 Failed to load control <ctrlName> From <filename>.OCX
Author Message
 error 372 Failed to load control <ctrlName> From <filename>.OCX

I recently modified a couple of controls packaged in OCX files to fix some
minor bugs.  They were originally written under NT4 and VB6.  I am now
running W2000 Pro SP2 and VB6 SP5.  I rebuilt the OCX's w/o trouble as well
as the ActiveX EXE that uses the controls.  It runs great on my system.

I took it to the client's office.  They are running a brand new system with
W2000 SP2 on it.  After adding a few necessary DLL's, I got this error
message when trying to load the forms that use my controls.

Error 372  Failed to load control UNavlist from PNavlist.OCX.

It says that I have an outdated version of the OCX file.  But it's the
latest version -- the version with which my .EXE was compiled.  Info on this
in KB, MSDN, and Google is very scarce.  Can anybody help?

Thanks!

--
Daniel Wilson
CompuSoft Solutions and The Worthwhile Company http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 03 Jan 2004 02:36:08 GMT
 error 372 Failed to load control <ctrlName> From <filename>.OCX
Hi Daniel,

Did you have binary compatibility option enabled ? If not, did you
unregister old version of OCX before installing a new one ? Can other OCX
controls be used on this system?

If your control worked fine before you've made changes - this would only
mean that some type library garbage may exist in the registry. Go to the
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib key and clean up all your OCX related information.
Re-register your control and if it's still not working, then something else
has been changed besides of your components. For example, system DLLs may be
replaced by 3rd party product installation. Check COMCAT.DLL and
MSVBVM60.DLL.

Regards,
Dmitriy Zakharov.
Brainbench MVP for Visual Basic
http://www.brainbench.com

Quote:
> I recently modified a couple of controls packaged in OCX files to fix some
> minor bugs.  They were originally written under NT4 and VB6.  I am now
> running W2000 Pro SP2 and VB6 SP5.  I rebuilt the OCX's w/o trouble as
well
> as the ActiveX EXE that uses the controls.  It runs great on my system.

> I took it to the client's office.  They are running a brand new system
with
> W2000 SP2 on it.  After adding a few necessary DLL's, I got this error
> message when trying to load the forms that use my controls.

> Error 372  Failed to load control UNavlist from PNavlist.OCX.

> It says that I have an outdated version of the OCX file.  But it's the
> latest version -- the version with which my .EXE was compiled.  Info on
this
> in KB, MSDN, and Google is very scarce.  Can anybody help?

> Thanks!

> --
> Daniel Wilson
> CompuSoft Solutions and The Worthwhile Company http://www.worthwhile.com
> Your complete e-business solution partners.

Sat, 03 Jan 2004 03:47:42 GMT
 error 372 Failed to load control <ctrlName> From <filename>.OCX
Hi Daniel,

Did you have binary compatibility option enabled ? If not, did you
unregister old version of OCX before installing a new one ? Can other OCX
controls be used on this system?

If your control worked fine before you've made changes - this would only
mean that some type library garbage may exist in the registry. Go to the
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib key and clean up all your OCX related information.
Re-register your control and if it's still not working, then something else
has been changed besides of your components. For example, system DLLs may be
replaced by 3rd party product installation. Check COMCAT.DLL and
MSVBVM60.DLL. If your control depends on another control, see if the control
you depend on can be created first.

Regards,
Dmitriy Zakharov.
Brainbench MVP for Visual Basic
http://www.brainbench.com

Quote:
> I recently modified a couple of controls packaged in OCX files to fix some
> minor bugs.  They were originally written under NT4 and VB6.  I am now
> running W2000 Pro SP2 and VB6 SP5.  I rebuilt the OCX's w/o trouble as
well
> as the ActiveX EXE that uses the controls.  It runs great on my system.

> I took it to the client's office.  They are running a brand new system
with
> W2000 SP2 on it.  After adding a few necessary DLL's, I got this error
> message when trying to load the forms that use my controls.

> Error 372  Failed to load control UNavlist from PNavlist.OCX.

> It says that I have an outdated version of the OCX file.  But it's the
> latest version -- the version with which my .EXE was compiled.  Info on
this
> in KB, MSDN, and Google is very scarce.  Can anybody help?

> Thanks!

> --
> Daniel Wilson
> CompuSoft Solutions and The Worthwhile Company http://www.worthwhile.com
> Your complete e-business solution partners.

Sat, 03 Jan 2004 03:52:42 GMT
 error 372 Failed to load control <ctrlName> From <filename>.OCX
Hi Daniel,

Did you have binary compatibility option enabled ? If not, did you
unregister old version of OCX before installing a new one ? Can other OCX
controls be used on this system?

If your control worked fine before you've made changes - this would only
mean that some type library garbage may exist in the registry. Go to the
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib key and clean up all your OCX related information.
Re-register your control and if it's still not working, then something else
has been changed besides of your components. For example, system DLLs may be
replaced by 3rd party product installation. Check COMCAT.DLL and
MSVBVM60.DLL. If your control depends on another control, see if the control
you depend on can be created first.

Regards,
Dmitriy Zakharov.
Brainbench MVP for Visual Basic
http://www.brainbench.com

Quote:
> I recently modified a couple of controls packaged in OCX files to fix some
> minor bugs.  They were originally written under NT4 and VB6.  I am now
> running W2000 Pro SP2 and VB6 SP5.  I rebuilt the OCX's w/o trouble as
well
> as the ActiveX EXE that uses the controls.  It runs great on my system.

> I took it to the client's office.  They are running a brand new system
with
> W2000 SP2 on it.  After adding a few necessary DLL's, I got this error
> message when trying to load the forms that use my controls.

> Error 372  Failed to load control UNavlist from PNavlist.OCX.

> It says that I have an outdated version of the OCX file.  But it's the
> latest version -- the version with which my .EXE was compiled.  Info on
this
> in KB, MSDN, and Google is very scarce.  Can anybody help?

> Thanks!

> --
> Daniel Wilson
> CompuSoft Solutions and The Worthwhile Company http://www.worthwhile.com
> Your complete e-business solution partners.

Sat, 03 Jan 2004 03:53:01 GMT
 error 372 Failed to load control <ctrlName> From <filename>.OCX
We just got the same error on a client computer.  We tried a bunch of stuff
that didn't seem to work and then ran the same install pack (.msi file) that
caused the problem, but from the add/remove programs applet in control panel
and everything works fine now.  Apparantly something wasn't properly
registered (we verified that all the files where there, and the correct
version). Maybe if you try that you will get the same results.

I have found that Windows 2000 is very persnickety about installs.  You
can't install the application once for all users, you have to install for
each, which is a real pain.  I know, it should be in active directory then
it's automatic, but none of our clients run active directory :(

Philip Meeks
ETV Technologies

Quote:

> I took it to the client's office.  They are running a brand new system
with
> W2000 SP2 on it.  After adding a few necessary DLL's, I got this error
> message when trying to load the forms that use my controls.

> Error 372  Failed to load control UNavlist from PNavlist.OCX.

> It says that I have an outdated version of the OCX file.  But it's the
> latest version -- the version with which my .EXE was compiled.  Info on
this
> in KB, MSDN, and Google is very scarce.  Can anybody help?

> Thanks!

> --
> Daniel Wilson
> CompuSoft Solutions and The Worthwhile Company http://www.worthwhile.com
> Your complete e-business solution partners.

Sat, 03 Jan 2004 04:28:16 GMT
 error 372 Failed to load control <ctrlName> From <filename>.OCX
You say you ran the msi file.  You mean the one you built for your project?
How do you create an MSI file of your project?  I'm copying the files &
running regsvr32!

thanks

--
Daniel Wilson

Quote:
> We just got the same error on a client computer.  We tried a bunch of
stuff
> that didn't seem to work and then ran the same install pack (.msi file)
that
> caused the problem, but from the add/remove programs applet in control
panel
> and everything works fine now.  Apparantly something wasn't properly
> registered (we verified that all the files where there, and the correct
> version). Maybe if you try that you will get the same results.

> I have found that Windows 2000 is very persnickety about installs.  You
> can't install the application once for all users, you have to install for
> each, which is a real pain.  I know, it should be in active directory then
> it's automatic, but none of our clients run active directory :(

> Philip Meeks
> ETV Technologies

> > I took it to the client's office.  They are running a brand new system
> with
> > W2000 SP2 on it.  After adding a few necessary DLL's, I got this error
> > message when trying to load the forms that use my controls.

> > Error 372  Failed to load control UNavlist from PNavlist.OCX.

> > It says that I have an outdated version of the OCX file.  But it's the
> > latest version -- the version with which my .EXE was compiled.  Info on
> this
> > in KB, MSDN, and Google is very scarce.  Can anybody help?

> > Thanks!

> > --
> > Daniel Wilson
> > CompuSoft Solutions and The Worthwhile Company http://www.worthwhile.com
> > Your complete e-business solution partners.

Sat, 03 Jan 2004 05:01:22 GMT
 error 372 Failed to load control <ctrlName> From <filename>.OCX
Yes, I did use binary compatibility.  When I started having trouble, I
double-checked that.  And yes, other OCX's are working on the system.

The version of MSVBVM60.dll & ComCat.dll (as well as most others that seem
to have anything to do with COM) are the same on the client's system as on
mine.

When you say "Go to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib key and clean up all your
OCX related information", what stuff are you saying I should delete?  The
entries for my controls?  Or more stuff than that?

Thanks again.

--
Daniel Wilson

Quote:
> Hi Daniel,

> Did you have binary compatibility option enabled ? If not, did you
> unregister old version of OCX before installing a new one ? Can other OCX
> controls be used on this system?

> If your control worked fine before you've made changes - this would only
> mean that some type library garbage may exist in the registry. Go to the
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib key and clean up all your OCX related
information.
> Re-register your control and if it's still not working, then something
else
> has been changed besides of your components. For example, system DLLs may
be
> replaced by 3rd party product installation. Check COMCAT.DLL and
> MSVBVM60.DLL.

> Regards,
> Dmitriy Zakharov.
> Brainbench MVP for Visual Basic
> http://www.brainbench.com

> > I recently modified a couple of controls packaged in OCX files to fix
some
> > minor bugs.  They were originally written under NT4 and VB6.  I am now
> > running W2000 Pro SP2 and VB6 SP5.  I rebuilt the OCX's w/o trouble as
> well
> > as the ActiveX EXE that uses the controls.  It runs great on my system.

> > I took it to the client's office.  They are running a brand new system
> with
> > W2000 SP2 on it.  After adding a few necessary DLL's, I got this error
> > message when trying to load the forms that use my controls.

> > Error 372  Failed to load control UNavlist from PNavlist.OCX.

> > It says that I have an outdated version of the OCX file.  But it's the
> > latest version -- the version with which my .EXE was compiled.  Info on
> this
> > in KB, MSDN, and Google is very scarce.  Can anybody help?

> > Thanks!

> > --
> > Daniel Wilson
> > CompuSoft Solutions and The Worthwhile Company http://www.worthwhile.com
> > Your complete e-business solution partners.

Sat, 03 Jan 2004 04:59:13 GMT
 error 372 Failed to load control <ctrlName> From <filename>.OCX
Goto TypeLib key and click "Find" from the menu. Search for the full type
library name as you see it in the Project Refences dialog. RegEdit will open
a key like ...\TypeLib\{GUID}\{version}. Delete the {GUID} key, then repeat
search to make sure no duplicates exist.

Also make sure all controls your control depend on work fine.

There is a good troubleshooting utility called ClsIDView that I can send you
by eMail if you are interested. I would have directed you to Q176562 [FILE:
Clsidvw.exe OLE/Createable Objects Registry Diagnostic], but I could not
find this article on MSDN, althought it is referenced in documentation.

> [...]

system.

> > > I took it to the client's office.  They are running a brand new system
> > with
> > > W2000 SP2 on it.  After adding a few necessary DLL's, I got this error
> > > message when trying to load the forms that use my controls.

> > > Error 372  Failed to load control UNavlist from PNavlist.OCX.

> > > It says that I have an outdated version of the OCX file.  But it's the
> > > latest version -- the version with which my .EXE was compiled.  Info
on
> > this
> > > in KB, MSDN, and Google is very scarce.  Can anybody help?

> > > Thanks!

> > > --
> > > Daniel Wilson
> > > CompuSoft Solutions and The Worthwhile Company

http://www.worthwhile.com

> > > Your complete e-business solution partners.

Sat, 03 Jan 2004 15:29:56 GMT
 error 372 Failed to load control <ctrlName> From <filename>.OCX
That was it ... needed to build an MSI file for it.  So I used Visual
Installer to do so.  Of course, that didn't get all the DLL's it needed,
like it's supposed to.  But then I could figure out which ones it was still
complaining about & install them too.

Thanks for the help.

--
Daniel Wilson
CompuSoft Solutions and The Worthwhile Company http://www.worthwhile.com
Your complete e-business solution partners.

Quote:
> We just got the same error on a client computer.  We tried a bunch of
stuff
> that didn't seem to work and then ran the same install pack (.msi file)
that
> caused the problem, but from the add/remove programs applet in control
panel
> and everything works fine now.  Apparantly something wasn't properly
> registered (we verified that all the files where there, and the correct
> version). Maybe if you try that you will get the same results.

> I have found that Windows 2000 is very persnickety about installs.  You
> can't install the application once for all users, you have to install for
> each, which is a real pain.  I know, it should be in active directory then
> it's automatic, but none of our clients run active directory :(

> Philip Meeks
> ETV Technologies

> > I took it to the client's office.  They are running a brand new system
> with
> > W2000 SP2 on it.  After adding a few necessary DLL's, I got this error
> > message when trying to load the forms that use my controls.

> > Error 372  Failed to load control UNavlist from PNavlist.OCX.

> > It says that I have an outdated version of the OCX file.  But it's the
> > latest version -- the version with which my .EXE was compiled.  Info on
> this
> > in KB, MSDN, and Google is very scarce.  Can anybody help?

> > Thanks!

> > --
> > Daniel Wilson
> > CompuSoft Solutions and The Worthwhile Company http://www.worthwhile.com
> > Your complete e-business solution partners.

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 02:51:36 GMT

1. error 372 Failed to load control <ctrlName> From <filename>.OCX

3. HELP >>>>>>WIN API <<<<<<<<<<

5. <<<<HELP- OLE container Control>>>>>>>>>

7. VB5<->RDO2<->ODBC<->ORACLE Procedure Problem

8. <<<Cneck Box>>>

9. <<<Gif Files>>>

10. <<<CD ROM>>>

11. <<<Win32Api.TXT>>>