COM+ Queued Components without MSMQ Site Controllers?
Author Message
 COM+ Queued Components without MSMQ Site Controllers?

I would very much like to use COM+ queued components during an update to a
legacy application that already uses DCOM components. But that application
runs on a network of Windows 2000 Professional (workstations) and there is
not (won't ever be) any servers. This is an industrial control applications
in which machines need to be agile between different installations (no
domains, no active directory). COM+ uses MSMQ technology according to the
whitepapers. My experience with MSMQ says you can not even install it unless
it can see the site controller and it is all about working in a network with
MSMQ site controllers.  Does this limitation exist with COM+.  Am I toast
for lack of server machines with MSMQ controllers when it comes to COM+
queued components?

Thanks.

Fri, 05 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 COM+ Queued Components without MSMQ Site Controllers?
Hey Rick,
In an effort to reduce licensing costs on small installations of our
software, we researched this same issue.  I only went as far as to call
Microsoft Technical Pre-Sales support, so all they could tell me was what
they thought was "probably" the case.  In short, their answer to your
question is yes, you are toast.  Like you already know, QC is just a wrapper
for MSMQ and MSMQ requires a domain controller at some point.  No MSMQ
server installation is available without a domain controller.  If you find
out different, please post back here to let me know.
HTH,
Ed
P.S.
Part of the ADS design is to facilitate the agility you describe.  What
features are still missing from it that you need in your environment?

Quote:
> I would very much like to use COM+ queued components during an update to a
> legacy application that already uses DCOM components. But that application
> runs on a network of Windows 2000 Professional (workstations) and there is
> not (won't ever be) any servers. This is an industrial control
applications
> in which machines need to be agile between different installations (no
> domains, no active directory). COM+ uses MSMQ technology according to the
> whitepapers. My experience with MSMQ says you can not even install it
unless
> it can see the site controller and it is all about working in a network
with
> MSMQ site controllers.  Does this limitation exist with COM+.  Am I toast
> for lack of server machines with MSMQ controllers when it comes to COM+
> queued components?

> Thanks.

Fri, 05 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 COM+ Queued Components without MSMQ Site Controllers?
Thanks, I was afraid that was true.  I will do some testing and let you know
if I find anything else out.

Quote:
> Hey Rick,
> In an effort to reduce licensing costs on small installations of our
> software, we researched this same issue.  I only went as far as to call
> Microsoft Technical Pre-Sales support, so all they could tell me was what
> they thought was "probably" the case.  In short, their answer to your
> question is yes, you are toast.  Like you already know, QC is just a
wrapper
> for MSMQ and MSMQ requires a domain controller at some point.  No MSMQ
> server installation is available without a domain controller.  If you find
> out different, please post back here to let me know.
> HTH,
> Ed
> P.S.
> Part of the ADS design is to facilitate the agility you describe.  What
> features are still missing from it that you need in your environment?

> > I would very much like to use COM+ queued components during an update to
> > legacy application that already uses DCOM components. But that
application
> > runs on a network of Windows 2000 Professional (workstations) and there
is
> > not (won't ever be) any servers. This is an industrial control
> applications
> > in which machines need to be agile between different installations (no
> > domains, no active directory). COM+ uses MSMQ technology according to
the
> > whitepapers. My experience with MSMQ says you can not even install it
> unless
> > it can see the site controller and it is all about working in a network
> with
> > MSMQ site controllers.  Does this limitation exist with COM+.  Am I
toast
> > for lack of server machines with MSMQ controllers when it comes to COM+
> > queued components?

> > Thanks.

Sat, 06 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 COM+ Queued Components without MSMQ Site Controllers?

Quote:
> I would very much like to use COM+ queued components during an update
to a
> legacy application that already uses DCOM components. But that
application
> runs on a network of Windows 2000 Professional (workstations) and
there is
> not (won't ever be) any servers. This is an industrial control
applications
> in which machines need to be agile between different installations (no
> domains, no active directory). COM+ uses MSMQ technology according to
the
> whitepapers. My experience with MSMQ says you can not even install it
unless
> it can see the site controller and it is all about working in a
network with
> MSMQ site controllers.  Does this limitation exist with COM+.  Am I
toast
> for lack of server machines with MSMQ controllers when it comes to
COM+
> queued components?

MSMQ can be installed in DS-less mode (i.e. workgroup)in Win2000 and QC
supports workgroup mode... so yes.. no, you don't a domain controller
necessarily.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 04 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. COM+ Queued Component callbacks

2. How to unload COM+ Queued Component DLL?

3. VB COM+ Queued Component

4. COM+ Events & Queued Components

5. Queued Components and COM+ Events?

6. Does Exchange Server use MSMQ to queue messages????

7. MSMQ Error setting label on public queue

8. msmq and posting to remote private queue

9. View MSMQ Outgoing Queues in web page

10. MSMQ Queue security change with a script.

11. Where can i find Com+ Services type library or Component services com+ 1.0 for Win98

12. Replacing COM+ component without having to recompile clients