Can ActiveX DLL component contain ActiveX control?
Author Message
 Can ActiveX DLL component contain ActiveX control?

I have an ActiveX control. This ActiveX is invisible at
run time. Can I make an ActiveX DLL COM based on this
ActiveX control?

Sat, 22 May 2004 14:39:22 GMT
 Can ActiveX DLL component contain ActiveX control?
Yes.
Start new project.
Add reference to OCX file (not Comonent!!!) You will not see it as a
reference, but you will
be able to see object in object browser.
Then just Declare this object and work with it.
I wrapped WinSock control into DLL with all events, properties, etc..

Quote:
> I have an ActiveX control. This ActiveX is invisible at
> run time. Can I make an ActiveX DLL COM based on this
> ActiveX control?

Sat, 22 May 2004 22:52:32 GMT
 Can ActiveX DLL component contain ActiveX control?
Hi,

Yes.

You can either place a form in your ActiveX DLL and use it to host the
ActiveX OCX, then reference it from you class module (I usually do it this
way), or you can set a reference to the ActiveX control, and use
CreateObject or similar syntax in code only, with no form.  Simply because a
form is included in the project does not mean that the form ever needs to be
made visible -- it does not.  Thus, you do not have to have any UI elements
to use forms to host ActiveX controls.

--
Richard Grier  (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)
Hard & Software

Sun, 23 May 2004 00:29:25 GMT
 Can ActiveX DLL component contain ActiveX control?
Hi,

I tried to add a form. But VB doesn't allow me to add form
into my ActiveX DLL application. That button is greyed out.

If I use the no form way to do this, how can I catch the
events of the constitute control. I need to forward some
of the events back to user of my COM.

Thanks a lot.

Bing

Quote:

Sun, 23 May 2004 01:15:36 GMT
 Can ActiveX DLL component contain ActiveX control?
Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your great suggestion. It really helps. But
sorry for bothering you again. I just need to know how I
can capture events of the constitute ActiveX control. I
need to forward some of its events back to my COM users.

Thanks again.

Bing

Quote:

Sun, 23 May 2004 01:22:19 GMT
 Can ActiveX DLL component contain ActiveX control?
Ok.

Start new Project.
Project/References browse for OCX file you need.
Then write code in class module (this is sample for WinSock Control)

Option Explicit

Private WithEvents oWinSock As Winsock

'Declare all object events to bubble them up to
'application
Event oError(ByVal Number As Integer, Description As String, ByVal Scode As
Long, ByVal Source As String, ByVal HelpFile As String, ByVal HelpContext As
Long, CancelDisplay As Boolean)
Event oDataArrival(ByVal bytesTotal As Long)
Event oClose()
Event oConnect()
Event oConnectionRequest(ByVal requestID As Long)
Event oSendComplete()
Event oSendProgress(ByVal bytesSent As Long, ByVal bytesRemaining As Long)

Private Sub Class_Initialize()
    Set oWinSock = New MSWinsockLib.Winsock
End Sub
Private Sub Class_Terminate()
    Set oWinSock = Nothing
End Sub

'bubble up all events
Private Sub oWinSock_Close()
    RaiseEvent oClose
End Sub
Private Sub oWinSock_Connect()
    RaiseEvent oConnect
End Sub
Private Sub oWinSock_ConnectionRequest(ByVal requestID As Long)
    RaiseEvent oConnectionRequest(requestID)
End Sub

> Hi,

> I tried to add a form. But VB doesn't allow me to add form
> into my ActiveX DLL application. That button is greyed out.

> If I use the no form way to do this, how can I catch the
> events of the constitute control. I need to forward some
> of the events back to user of my COM.

> Thanks a lot.

> Bing

Sun, 23 May 2004 01:22:55 GMT
 Can ActiveX DLL component contain ActiveX control?
Hi,

I tried to add a form. But VB doesn't allow me to add form
into my ActiveX DLL application. That button is greyed out
<<

This is strange.  There is no restriction for forms in any ActiveX project,
be it DLL, EXE, or OCX.  I have several example of this in my book.  If you
send me email, I can return you an example that illustrates.

What ActiveX control are you trying to host?

--
Richard Grier  (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)
Hard & Software
12962 West Louisiana Avenue
Lakewood, CO  80228
303-986-2179 (voice)
303-986-3143 (fax)
Leave voice mail or fax that I can receive as email at 303-593-9315
Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 2nd
Edition ISBN 1-890422-25-8 (355 pages).
For information look on my homepage at http://www.hardandsoftware.net.
Use the Books link to order.  For faster service contact the publisher at
http://www.mabry.com.

Sun, 23 May 2004 03:38:26 GMT
 Can ActiveX DLL component contain ActiveX control?

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Can ActiveX DLL component contain ActiveX control?
Now I have my COM. It hosts an ActiveX control inside it.
In my COM, I have event procedure to check events of that
ActiveX control. In that event procedure, I want to use
Err.Raise to report errors back to the user of my COM. But
it looks like Err.Raise doesn't work in that event
procedure, which means it cannot forward err event back to
the client. Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

Thanks very much in advance.

Quote:

Sun, 23 May 2004 10:39:27 GMT
 Can ActiveX DLL component contain ActiveX control?
Can you post some code?

Quote:
> Now I have my COM. It hosts an ActiveX control inside it.
> In my COM, I have event procedure to check events of that
> ActiveX control. In that event procedure, I want to use
> Err.Raise to report errors back to the user of my COM. But
> it looks like Err.Raise doesn't work in that event
> procedure, which means it cannot forward err event back to
> the client. Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

> Thanks very much in advance.

Sun, 23 May 2004 22:44:28 GMT
 Can ActiveX DLL component contain ActiveX control?
Private Sub amTapi1_Connected()
dim i

    On Error GoTo errHandler
    i = 1 / 0

    ' set status
    pStatus = CONN

    ' Hang up any existing call
    amTapi1.HangUp

    Exit Sub

errHandler:
    Err.Raise Err.Number, Err.Source, Err.Description
End Sub

where amTapi1 is a constitute component. Connected is one
of its events.

When "Connected" event launches and triggers the "divide
by zero" error, the program will stop at the errHandler of
this event. It doesn't forward this error back to the
client of my component as what Err.Raise should do.

Err.Raise works fine in methods of my component.

Thanks very much.

Bing

Quote:

Mon, 24 May 2004 03:39:07 GMT
 Can ActiveX DLL component contain ActiveX control?
Without looking more deep I can suggest you to try next:
Instead of trying to raise error, handle it. Than raise your custom error.
Or, perhaps you need create your Error event and fire it when error happens.
Try search on it in MSDN.

Quote:
> Private Sub amTapi1_Connected()
> dim i

>     On Error GoTo errHandler
>     i = 1 / 0

>     ' set status
>     pStatus = CONN

>     ' Hang up any existing call
>     amTapi1.HangUp

>     Exit Sub

> errHandler:
>     Err.Raise Err.Number, Err.Source, Err.Description
> End Sub

> where amTapi1 is a constitute component. Connected is one
> of its events.

> When "Connected" event launches and triggers the "divide
> by zero" error, the program will stop at the errHandler of
> this event. It doesn't forward this error back to the
> client of my component as what Err.Raise should do.

> Err.Raise works fine in methods of my component.

> Thanks very much.

> Bing

Mon, 24 May 2004 05:39:14 GMT

1. ActiveX Documents containing ActiveX Components - Internet download problem

2. Problem in VBA with ActiveX control that contains another ActiveX control

3. ActiveX.exe or ActiveX DLL or ActiveX Control?????????????

4. Help: Using the datarepeater control with an ActiveX control containing an embedded datacombo control

5. ActiveX wich contains an other ActiveX !!

6. ActiveX DLL, ActiveX EXE & ActiveX OCX version

7. ActiveX DLL, ActiveX EXE & ActiveX OCX version

8. Building ActiveX controls that will access activex.dll running on PWS

9. ActiveX dll vs ActiveX control - Whats the difference

10. Passing ActiveX control as a parrameter to ActiveX.dll

11. Displaying a Form thats contained in an ActiveX DLL

12. help ActiveX Error : ActiveX component can't create object