'Permission Denied' when COM exe runs under This User account??
Author Message
 'Permission Denied' when COM exe runs under This User account??

Hello,
I have the following situation:

UI   ==>   COM Server 1  =//=> COM Server 2

The UI is launched by the logged in user. The UI in turn launches the first
COM server which is configured to be launched under Interactive User. And
this COM server launches the second COM server which is configured to run
under a locally defined user (set under "This User").
All three executables run on the same Windows 2000 Server machine.

The problem occurs when COM Server 1 tries to access COM server 2, the
application shows a 'Permission Denied' error. I've tried everything, only
two solutions were found:
1. Setting Default Authentication Level to (None)
2. Log in by using the user name that is also used for setting the This User
account of COM Server 2

Since both solutions are no solutions for us, we want to know what we are
doing wrong. Access and Launch permissions are already set to max for
Everyone.

Please help me!

C.K. Lam

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:25:22 GMT
 'Permission Denied' when COM exe runs under This User account??
It sounds like you are having a problem very similar to the one I had.
I'm assuming that both COM servers are DLL's installed in COM+.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q180384 may be
some help.  What I had to do was edit permissions in DCOMCNFG.  I had to
set the default permissions to allow the System, Interactive User, and
Domain Users to Launch and Access programs.  Setting the security for
the individual component didn't help.  Had to set it on the Default
Security tab.

hope this helps.

Daniel Wilson, BSCS, MCSE
CompuSoft Solutions and The Worthwhile Company
www.worthwhile.com
Your complete e-business solution partners.
Phone: 864-233-9029 Fax: 509-757-5264

[...]

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 02:15:25 GMT
 'Permission Denied' when COM exe runs under This User account??
Hi Daniel,
You saved me a lot of problems. Your tip was our solution. Thank you!
C.K. Lam

Quote:
> It sounds like you are having a problem very similar to the one I had.
> I'm assuming that both COM servers are DLL's installed in COM+.

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q180384 may be
> some help.  What I had to do was edit permissions in DCOMCNFG.  I had to
> set the default permissions to allow the System, Interactive User, and
> Domain Users to Launch and Access programs.  Setting the security for
> the individual component didn't help.  Had to set it on the Default
> Security tab.

> hope this helps.

> Daniel Wilson, BSCS, MCSE
> CompuSoft Solutions and The Worthwhile Company
> www.worthwhile.com
> Your complete e-business solution partners.
> Phone: 864-233-9029 Fax: 509-757-5264

> Hello,
> I have the following situation:

> UI ==> COM Server 1 =//=> COM Server 2

> The UI is launched by the logged in user. The UI in turn launches the
> first
> COM server which is configured to be launched under Interactive User.
> And
> this COM server launches the second COM server which is configured to
> run
> under a locally defined user (set under "This User").
> All three executables run on the same Windows 2000 Server machine.

> The problem occurs when COM Server 1 tries to access COM server 2, the
> application shows a 'Permission Denied' error. I've tried everything,
> only
> two solutions were found:
> 1. Setting Default Authentication Level to (None)
> 2. Log in by using the user name that is also used for setting the This
> User
> account of COM Server 2

> Since both solutions are no solutions for us, we want to know what we
> are
> doing wrong. Access and Launch permissions are already set to max for
> Everyone.

> Please help me!

> C.K. Lam

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:03:57 GMT

1. ActiveX EXE 'Permission Denied'

2. Run-Time Error '70' - Permission Denied

3. Run-Time Error '70' - Permission Denied

4. Run-Time Error '70': Permission Denied

5. Update COM DLL's - Permission Denied

6. Permission Denied On All ActiveX EXE's

7. Runtime error '70' Permission denied

8. Enumerate quota entries 'Permission denied'

9. Permission denied: 'CreateObject'

10. Permission denied: 'msgbox'

11. Permission denied: 'MsgBox'

12. Permission denied: 'MsgBox'