Samples for MTS, multi-interface, COM samples with security
Author Message
 Samples for MTS, multi-interface, COM samples with security

Can anyone direct me to some good sample apps for creating
multiple-interfaced VB COM components running in MTS AND using MTS security
roles over the packages/components?

I've looked over the sample bank app on MSDN, but that only uses the default
class interface.  The Island Hopper sample has multiple interfaces, but only
limited roles are defined and security is not enabled.  Also, Island Hopper
is targeted at Win32 AND web clients.  That really clutters up things.  We
are developing strictly for our intranet...no Win32 clients.

So, we're new to MTS and interface programming.  Our server is running NT4,
IIS4, MTS 2 SP1, SQL Server 7.  We're developing components with VB6 SP3.

We'd like to create 4 different roles to map the levels of functions granted
to users ("managers" that can do everything all the way down to "enduser"
that has read-only access to data).  A workflow layer project would be
called upon by ASP.  This workflow layer would have classes that map to our
4 levels of security and implement the proper interfaces in the business
layer and then the business layer would call upon the data components that
finally runs stored procs in a SQL Server 7 DB.  I know our 4 security
levels have to be created as roles in MTS, have users added to these roles
and then roles assigned to the various component role membership areas.  Of
course knowing what basically has to happen and actually doing it are two
different things.  Perhaps I'm looking at this totally wrong which is why
I'm hoping for a complete sample to run through.  From creating the multiple
interfaces all the way to packaging and setting up roles/security.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Mike

Tue, 01 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Samples for MTS, multi-interface, COM samples with security

The is a function you can call from the MTS context that is called
"IsCalleInRole" ( ors moething like it).

I think what you are looking for is not to have a diffrent interface for
each role, but to have one interface that act differntly depending on whiche
role. By using this function then you can know what role the user has that
is calling your com obj.

--

Regards
Carl-Johan Wik

Quote:
> Can anyone direct me to some good sample apps for creating
> multiple-interfaced VB COM components running in MTS AND using MTS
security
> roles over the packages/components?

> I've looked over the sample bank app on MSDN, but that only uses the
default
> class interface.  The Island Hopper sample has multiple interfaces, but
only
> limited roles are defined and security is not enabled.  Also, Island
Hopper
> is targeted at Win32 AND web clients.  That really clutters up things.  We
> are developing strictly for our intranet...no Win32 clients.

> So, we're new to MTS and interface programming.  Our server is running
NT4,
> IIS4, MTS 2 SP1, SQL Server 7.  We're developing components with VB6 SP3.

> We'd like to create 4 different roles to map the levels of functions
granted
> to users ("managers" that can do everything all the way down to "enduser"
> that has read-only access to data).  A workflow layer project would be
> called upon by ASP.  This workflow layer would have classes that map to
our
> 4 levels of security and implement the proper interfaces in the business
> layer and then the business layer would call upon the data components that
> finally runs stored procs in a SQL Server 7 DB.  I know our 4 security
> levels have to be created as roles in MTS, have users added to these roles
> and then roles assigned to the various component role membership areas.
Of
> course knowing what basically has to happen and actually doing it are two
> different things.  Perhaps I'm looking at this totally wrong which is why
> I'm hoping for a complete sample to run through.  From creating the
multiple
> interfaces all the way to packaging and setting up roles/security.

> Thanks in advance for any help.

> -Mike

Tue, 01 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Samples for MTS, multi-interface, COM samples with security

inline

--

http://sabbadin.tripod.com
MTS VB-COM related FAQ: http://sabbadin.tripod.com/mts_faq

Quote:
> The is a function you can call from the MTS context that is called
> "IsCalleInRole" ( ors moething like it).

> I think what you are looking for is not to have a diffrent interface for
> each role, but to have one interface that act differntly depending on
whiche
> role.

well .. there is a declarative and a programmatic way to use role based
security
programmatic is more fine grained .. it let you change the flow of you
method implementation according to the role of the user that called the
method, BUT in any case that user must be in one of the roles that are
allowed to access the interface (declarative setting on the MTS catalog)

Quote:
> By using this function then you can know what role the user has that
> is calling your com obj.

> --

> Regards
> Carl-Johan Wik
> MCT, MCSE+I, MCSD ....

> > Can anyone direct me to some good sample apps for creating
> > multiple-interfaced VB COM components running in MTS AND using MTS
> security
> > roles over the packages/components?

> > I've looked over the sample bank app on MSDN, but that only uses the
> default
> > class interface.  The Island Hopper sample has multiple interfaces, but
> only
> > limited roles are defined and security is not enabled.  Also, Island
> Hopper
> > is targeted at Win32 AND web clients.  That really clutters up things.
We
> > are developing strictly for our intranet...no Win32 clients.

> > So, we're new to MTS and interface programming.  Our server is running
> NT4,
> > IIS4, MTS 2 SP1, SQL Server 7.  We're developing components with VB6
SP3.

> > We'd like to create 4 different roles to map the levels of functions
> granted
> > to users ("managers" that can do everything all the way down to
"enduser"
> > that has read-only access to data).  A workflow layer project would be
> > called upon by ASP.  This workflow layer would have classes that map to
> our
> > 4 levels of security and implement the proper interfaces in the business
> > layer and then the business layer would call upon the data components
that
> > finally runs stored procs in a SQL Server 7 DB.  I know our 4 security
> > levels have to be created as roles in MTS, have users added to these
roles
> > and then roles assigned to the various component role membership areas.
> Of
> > course knowing what basically has to happen and actually doing it are
two
> > different things.  Perhaps I'm looking at this totally wrong which is
why
> > I'm hoping for a complete sample to run through.  From creating the
> multiple
> > interfaces all the way to packaging and setting up roles/security.

> > Thanks in advance for any help.

> > -Mike

Wed, 02 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. New Client/Server Samples added to the samples collection

2. New Client/Server Samples added to the samples collection

3. New Client/Server Samples added to the samples collection

4. New Client/Server Samples added to the samples collection

5. New Client/Server Samples added to the samples collection

6. Deploying Sample Apps on MTS

7. MTS Samples Please

8. ADO Interface database programming samples needed

9. Multi Processor - Sample VB Code to Utillize

10. Sample - Manage security ACL-DACL with VB5 ?

11. newbie - COM with MTS Vs COM without MTS

12. MTS COM using Interfaces