Basic COM object support across 95/98/NT 4.0/2000
Author Message
 Basic COM object support across 95/98/NT 4.0/2000

I program in a  language called PL/B.
They give us access to COM objects and Windows API's.

I am a newbie with using COM and was wondering if there was one basic COM
control you can use on multiple platforms?
We have to support Windows 95/98/NT 4.0/2000

Some of the basic objects I am looking to use are TextBox, Buttons,
ListView, TreeView, Static Text, etc.

On my system there appears to be:
Microsoft Windows Common Controls 5.0 (SP2)
Microsoft Windows Common Controls 5.0-2 (SP2)
Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0
Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0-2
Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0-3

These have some of the basic objects I am looking for and some duplicate
ones. I am assuming the 5.0 came before the 6.0 and would probably be the
ones to use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gerhard

Mon, 10 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Basic COM object support across 95/98/NT 4.0/2000

I re-read my posting and I think I was not clear enough about my objective.
I was wondering what COM component(s) come installed with Windows
that I can be use across 95/98/NT/2000?
I just want to use the basic objects. (i.e. Text Box, Combo Box,
Listview, Tab Control, etc.) We have clients offsite that all use Windows.
I just do NOT know what version of Windows. It would make it easier
on our support staff and myself if I use COM component that are already
installed instead of having to also worry if they are installing.

Quote:
> I program in a  language called PL/B.
> They give us access to COM objects and Windows API's.

> I am a newbie with using COM and was wondering if there was one basic COM
> control you can use on multiple platforms?
> We have to support Windows 95/98/NT 4.0/2000

> Some of the basic objects I am looking to use are TextBox, Buttons,
> ListView, TreeView, Static Text, etc.

> On my system there appears to be:
> Microsoft Windows Common Controls 5.0 (SP2)
> Microsoft Windows Common Controls 5.0-2 (SP2)
> Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0
> Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0-2
> Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0-3

> These have some of the basic objects I am looking for and some duplicate
> ones. I am assuming the 5.0 came before the 6.0 and would probably be the
> ones to use.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Gerhard

Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Basic COM object support across 95/98/NT 4.0/2000

Unfortunately, the DLLs that host the Windows Common Controls are frequently
updates, either via Service Packs or of course the next O/S update. The only
way you can be sure that a client will have all of the necessary files is to
distribute them with your application. Plus, in order to conform to the
Windows 2000 Application Specification, you need to distribute them anyway
and register them using the Windows Installer.

Josh

Quote:
> I re-read my posting and I think I was not clear enough about my
objective.
> I was wondering what COM component(s) come installed with Windows
> that I can be use across 95/98/NT/2000?
> I just want to use the basic objects. (i.e. Text Box, Combo Box,
> Listview, Tab Control, etc.) We have clients offsite that all use Windows.
> I just do NOT know what version of Windows. It would make it easier
> on our support staff and myself if I use COM component that are already
> installed instead of having to also worry if they are installing.

> > I program in a  language called PL/B.
> > They give us access to COM objects and Windows API's.

> > I am a newbie with using COM and was wondering if there was one basic
COM
> > control you can use on multiple platforms?
> > We have to support Windows 95/98/NT 4.0/2000

> > Some of the basic objects I am looking to use are TextBox, Buttons,
> > ListView, TreeView, Static Text, etc.

> > On my system there appears to be:
> > Microsoft Windows Common Controls 5.0 (SP2)
> > Microsoft Windows Common Controls 5.0-2 (SP2)
> > Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0
> > Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0-2
> > Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0-3

> > These have some of the basic objects I am looking for and some duplicate
> > ones. I am assuming the 5.0 came before the 6.0 and would probably be
the
> > ones to use.

> > Any help would be appreciated.

> > Thanks,
> > Gerhard

Wed, 12 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Determine 95/98/NT across network

2. Rich Text on Window 95,98, 2000 and NT

3. Win 2000 exe runs fine on 98 but crashes on 95 and NT

4. Windows NT/2000 and 95/98 shell32.dll difference

5. 98 / 95 / 2000 NT password verification

6. MAPI DLL cannot loaded unter windows NT 4.0 - but it works with 95/98 - VB 3.0

7. Visual basic Controls load in windows 98 but not nt 4.0

8. Troublesoft - deutsche Software für Windows 95, 98 und NT

9. windows 95/98 ok but NT file error

10. Application runs with Windows 95/NT, but doesn't work with Windows 98

11. Windows 95/98/NT registry editor

12. generating a service in NT or 95/98