Where is the remote object running in DCOM?
Author Message
 Where is the remote object running in DCOM?

Wilson,

You are correct.  Anything you run through DCOM will be running on the
server.  So any methods or properties you access will be done on the
server.  Parameters you pass to them will be marshalled across the network
to the remote computer.  And any results returned will be marshalled back
to the client.  A quick way to test this is to create a method on the
server that returns the computer time to the client.  You will see (if the
two times are different of course ;>) that the time returned is that of the
server.

Kevin Williamson - Microsoft Visual Basic Developer Support
reserved.

--------------------

| Subject: Where is the remote object running in DCOM?
| Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 03:07:53 -0700

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vb.com
|
| As we know, in DCOM, we can do
|
| Set lobjRemoteObject = CreateObject(class,servername)
|
| Is it lobjRemoteObject running on the server?
|
| If I do lobjRemoteObject.method1, does it mean method1 is
| running on the server?
|
| If I want to get lobjRemoteObject.property1, does it mean
| property1 go through the network and then pass to the
| local PC?
|
| TIA.

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 06:02:18 GMT

1. DCOM Remote object creation time

2. Setup Wizard Not Registering Remote Objects Using DCOM

3. DCOM Remote object Performance problem

4. Remote DCOM Objects

5. Setup Wizard Not Registering Remote Objects Using DCOM

6. dcom object runs fine in vb app, fails to get created in IIS

7. remote Authentication for running a remote wsh script

8. Am I understanding everything correctly? (DCOM)

9. How to get the login Name of the Remote machine, I am having the host name

10. DCOM settings needed on client and server for remote Outlook application

11. DCOM, Remote Automation Setup (VB Bug: AutPrx32.dll???)

12. Remote Server - DCOM