COM+ and VB
Author Message
 COM+ and VB

I am currently developing an activex .dll that resides on
a web server.  It encapsulates data access and is accessed
by ASPages.  It has approximately 10 methods that take
varying amounts of time to process.

I have moved the .dll to COM+ expecting to see better
performance as we move closer to production and have more
users hitting it.  Testing shows that there is no
performance improvement.  Example:  "reporting" method
call takes 30 seconds.  If two browsers attempt to execute
the page at the same time, they each come back after 1
minute.

Is there a way (short of making this an out-of-process
app, or migrating the component to C++) to improve
performance?  Any specific references to examples would be
greatly appreciated.  The information I have found thus
far on MS and Google seems to be contradictory!

Thanks!

Sat, 08 May 2004 04:18:10 GMT
 COM+ and VB

Quote:
> Is there a way (short of making this an out-of-process
> app, or migrating the component to C++) to improve
> performance?  Any specific references to examples would be
> greatly appreciated.  The information I have found thus
> far on MS and Google seems to be contradictory!

It sounds like your main bottleneck is data access.  In this case, the
language you use to develop the component is not going to matter very much.
Your real investment needs to be in the database, by managing indexes and
such.  Also, make sure your SQL has been optimized.

COM+ will give you the benefits of automatic OLE DB session pooling and JIT
activation.  These help with _scalability_, but will not really affect the
_performance_ on a per-user basis.

-- Matthew Solnit

Sat, 08 May 2004 05:05:46 GMT
 COM+ and VB
I don't think that making this an out-of-process exe will help performance.
Also, COM/ COM+  improves scalability and transactional integrity not
performance.

You should take a look at what the dll is doing with the data.  Is it
passing a lot of data back to the client - maybe more than you need?  You
should look at trying to optimize the data access within the dll.  Only pass
back what is needed.  If your using SQL Server, use stored procedures so SQL
Server can handle some of the data access optimization.

Good luck,

Joe

Quote:
> I am currently developing an activex .dll that resides on
> a web server.  It encapsulates data access and is accessed
> by ASPages.  It has approximately 10 methods that take
> varying amounts of time to process.

> I have moved the .dll to COM+ expecting to see better
> performance as we move closer to production and have more
> users hitting it.  Testing shows that there is no
> performance improvement.  Example:  "reporting" method
> call takes 30 seconds.  If two browsers attempt to execute
> the page at the same time, they each come back after 1
> minute.

> Is there a way (short of making this an out-of-process
> app, or migrating the component to C++) to improve
> performance?  Any specific references to examples would be
> greatly appreciated.  The information I have found thus
> far on MS and Google seems to be contradictory!

> Thanks!

Sat, 08 May 2004 23:44:29 GMT
 COM+ and VB
You also may want to check out IIS's 'Application Settings' for the website.
As you probably already know, if you try to access the 30-sec web page with
IE, the web server will execute the request and not relieve the processor to
access any web pages from the same process (other instances of IE from the
same PC).  This problem can somewhat be patched by (a) defining different
IIS 'applications' for different parts of the website -- then only part of
the website will lock up (b) inserting IsClientConnected checks into the
30-second bit of code.
Note that I do not believe IIS blocks copies of IE in a separate process or
on different PCs when processing requests.

Shane Krueger

Quote:
> I am currently developing an activex .dll that resides on
> a web server.  It encapsulates data access and is accessed
> by ASPages.  It has approximately 10 methods that take
> varying amounts of time to process.

> I have moved the .dll to COM+ expecting to see better
> performance as we move closer to production and have more
> users hitting it.  Testing shows that there is no
> performance improvement.  Example:  "reporting" method
> call takes 30 seconds.  If two browsers attempt to execute
> the page at the same time, they each come back after 1
> minute.

> Is there a way (short of making this an out-of-process
> app, or migrating the component to C++) to improve
> performance?  Any specific references to examples would be
> greatly appreciated.  The information I have found thus
> far on MS and Google seems to be contradictory!

> Thanks!

Mon, 10 May 2004 06:26:47 GMT

1. how to program with com+ and vb.net???

2. Call Time - Com+ With VB

3. COM/COM+ in VB or C++

4. com+ and vb programming

5. Call to Java COM inside VB COM

6. Problem loading VB Com in VB Script

7. Problem in COM with VB Development

8. The ServicedComponent being invoked is not correctly configured : COM+, DOTNET, VB

9. ATL COM and VB.NET

10. COM and VB.net

11. COM+ and VB

12. Error in COM+ in VB.NET