.DLL newbie question - detecting external DLL's?
Author Message
 .DLL newbie question - detecting external DLL's?

Hey all!

Building an app and I'd like to know if the following is possible, or if
there is an easier/better way of accomplishing the same task. I'm new to
.DLL creation, so be gentle!  : )

My application is basically a single window containing various user
selectable tools. What I have is a single form, with a tabstrip control. The
tabstrip simply makes a container (picturebox or frame) visible, depending
on which tab is selected. (I may use a coolbar or other tablike control, if
it matters)

Right now, I create the tools that appear within the containers as an
ActiveX control, then add that control to the project (an OCX). I then add
some code to the main module to take that tool into account. This works, but
makes updates a bit of a pain.

What I'd like to do is compile the base application with none of the
controls included. Then I would write the various tools and compile them to
DLLs. I would then copy the DLL to the targe PC and register it. When my
main app starts on the target PC, it would search the system for my DLL
files.

How can I know what DLL's have already been installed?

I hope I've described this clearly. Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

Wed, 23 Mar 2005 00:00:38 GMT
 .DLL newbie question - detecting external DLL's?
Hrm... no comments at all.

Is my question really that stupid or is this just something that can't be
done?

If worse comes to worst, I can use an installer for my tool DLL's that will
add registry entries for my app to scan for. I was just trying to avoid
doing something like this if Windows would let me scan for them.

Quote:
> Hey all!

> Building an app and I'd like to know if the following is possible, or if
> there is an easier/better way of accomplishing the same task. I'm new to
> .DLL creation, so be gentle!  : )

> My application is basically a single window containing various user
> selectable tools. What I have is a single form, with a tabstrip control.
The
> tabstrip simply makes a container (picturebox or frame) visible, depending
> on which tab is selected. (I may use a coolbar or other tablike control,
if
> it matters)

> Right now, I create the tools that appear within the containers as an
> ActiveX control, then add that control to the project (an OCX). I then add
> some code to the main module to take that tool into account. This works,
but
> makes updates a bit of a pain.

> What I'd like to do is compile the base application with none of the
> controls included. Then I would write the various tools and compile them
> DLLs. I would then copy the DLL to the targe PC and register it. When my
> main app starts on the target PC, it would search the system for my DLL
> files.

> How can I know what DLL's have already been installed?

> I hope I've described this clearly. Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:24:50 GMT
 .DLL newbie question - detecting external DLL's?
It's not a stupid question and it can be done.

First of all, you would have to compile your ActiveX controls into
.OCX files (not .DLL's). OCX files can also be registered, so
no difference for installing.

To load an ActiveX control at run-time, use the
Form.Controls.Add method (see MSDN documentation for details).

Now about the problem of finding your controls on a client PC.
I suggest you register the controls with your application somehow,
maybe using the registry, maybe using a separate file (see VBAddIn.ini).
Scanning the client PC for applicable controls is possible
(if your controls implement a certain interface for which you can search),
but it would take long time until you found all of them.

Hope this helps
Alexander Kienzle

Quote:
> Hrm... no comments at all.

> Is my question really that stupid or is this just something that can't be
> done?

> If worse comes to worst, I can use an installer for my tool DLL's that
will
> add registry entries for my app to scan for. I was just trying to avoid
> doing something like this if Windows would let me scan for them.

> > Hey all!

> > Building an app and I'd like to know if the following is possible, or if
> > there is an easier/better way of accomplishing the same task. I'm new to
> > .DLL creation, so be gentle!  : )

> > My application is basically a single window containing various user
> > selectable tools. What I have is a single form, with a tabstrip control.
> The
> > tabstrip simply makes a container (picturebox or frame) visible,
depending
> > on which tab is selected. (I may use a coolbar or other tablike control,
> if
> > it matters)

> > Right now, I create the tools that appear within the containers as an
> > ActiveX control, then add that control to the project (an OCX). I then
add
> > some code to the main module to take that tool into account. This works,
> but
> > makes updates a bit of a pain.

> > What I'd like to do is compile the base application with none of the
> > controls included. Then I would write the various tools and compile them
> > DLLs. I would then copy the DLL to the targe PC and register it. When my
> > main app starts on the target PC, it would search the system for my DLL
> > files.

> > How can I know what DLL's have already been installed?

> > I hope I've described this clearly. Any help/suggestions are
appreciated!

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:04:00 GMT

1. Newbie question: How does VB find dll's

2. Newbie Question: Can't find DLL entry point

3. a newbie question on (other) .DLL's ...

4. DLL DLL DLL DLL DLL DLL

5. COM DLL calling external non-COM DLL problem.

6. Calling external DLL gets error 48, unable to load DLL

7. 'Error detected by database DLL'

8. Using External DLL's

9. exe runable without external DLL's?

10. Calling externals DLL's in VBscript

11. Calling Subs / Functions from External DLL's

12. Calling Procedure in External DLL's