Building a Matrix
Author Message
 Building a Matrix

Hi all!, i'm making a Matrix (like a chess table) but i don't know which is
the correct data type to use. Each cell contains many fields. I tried using
a dynamic multi array:

Dim x() as Collection

Redim Preserve x(1 to i ,1 to j)

The problem is that the first column must be static. Another thing is that i
have to create my own filter and sort functions.

Which is the best approach?

thanks in advance,

Geoffrey

Fri, 17 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Building a Matrix
Use the Type keyword to create an UDT (User Defined Type).

Type Checker
    King as Boolean
    Player as String
End Type

Then

Redim x(0 to i, 0 to j) as Checker

Note that you don't have to dim x before you redim it, but it doesn't hurt.
Try to avoid Redim Preserve, it takes a long time to copy all of the data
across.

Jonathan Allen

Quote:

> Hi all!, i'm making a Matrix (like a chess table) but i don't know which
is
> the correct data type to use. Each cell contains many fields. I tried
using
> a dynamic multi array:

> Dim x() as Collection

> Redim Preserve x(1 to i ,1 to j)

> The problem is that the first column must be static. Another thing is that
> have to create my own filter and sort functions.

> Which is the best approach?

> thanks in advance,

> Geoffrey

Fri, 17 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Building a Matrix
Hi,

Each structure has its advantage. A matrix requires a minimum of storage,
but, as you discovered, is limited to a simple scan each time you wish to
find something.... Scanning is not a bad technique, if the number of things
to be scanned is small.  A collection, a single one, not an array of
collection, allow you to retrieve an object on one key, so if everything you
look for can be described by a single key, it may be useful to look for a
collection. If many keys may be used, then a dictionary is probably
preferable. Finally, if computations are required, like finding "those"
appearing more than four time, key are not very immediately useful and a
table plus a database engine may help much. If the dimensions are small, an
array seems the best solution. Get a second array, a Boolean array, telling
if the corresponding element in the first array satisfy the filter or not,
if that can be useful, somehow, etc.  You are not limited to just one data
structure.

Vanderghast, Access MVP

Quote:
> Hi all!, i'm making a Matrix (like a chess table) but i don't know which
is
> the correct data type to use. Each cell contains many fields. I tried
using
> a dynamic multi array:

> Dim x() as Collection

> Redim Preserve x(1 to i ,1 to j)

> The problem is that the first column must be static. Another thing is that
> have to create my own filter and sort functions.

> Which is the best approach?

> thanks in advance,

> Geoffrey

Sat, 18 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Building a Matrix
Hi!, thanks for your response...the problem is that i don't know the exact
dimension of the matrix, and i have to preserve the values. To do it i have
to use the:

Redim Preserve Matrix(1 to k, 1 to j)

but according to VB Help, to preserve the values the first index of the
matrix must be static. I was wondering if using Recordset-connectionless
will be helpfull (an array of recordsets with the same fields, and each
recordset containing a value of the structure or collection). The recordsets
also provide Find, Sort and filter functions. Is it a good approach?

thanks in advance...

Geoffrey

Quote:
> Use the Type keyword to create an UDT (User Defined Type).

> Type Checker
>     King as Boolean
>     Player as String
> End Type

> Then

> Redim x(0 to i, 0 to j) as Checker

> Note that you don't have to dim x before you redim it, but it doesn't
hurt.
> Try to avoid Redim Preserve, it takes a long time to copy all of the data
> across.

> Jonathan Allen

> > Hi all!, i'm making a Matrix (like a chess table) but i don't know which
> is
> > the correct data type to use. Each cell contains many fields. I tried
> using
> > a dynamic multi array:

> > Dim x() as Collection

> > Redim Preserve x(1 to i ,1 to j)

> > The problem is that the first column must be static. Another thing is
that
> > have to create my own filter and sort functions.

> > Which is the best approach?

> > thanks in advance,

> > Geoffrey

Sat, 18 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Building a Matrix
First, add the X and Y locations to your UDT or Class definition. Thus, you
go from a grid containing pieces to pieces with locations. You no longer
have to worry about changing the board size. Instead, you just check the
pieces for the top-most and bottom-most location.

Then you can store your data in either a collection or a recordset. The
recordset will be harder to use,. but has more built in functionality.

Jonathan Allen

Quote:
> Hi!, thanks for your response...the problem is that i don't know the exact
> dimension of the matrix, and i have to preserve the values. To do it i
have
> to use the:

> Redim Preserve Matrix(1 to k, 1 to j)

> but according to VB Help, to preserve the values the first index of the
> matrix must be static. I was wondering if using Recordset-connectionless
> will be helpfull (an array of recordsets with the same fields, and each
> recordset containing a value of the structure or collection). The
recordsets
> also provide Find, Sort and filter functions. Is it a good approach?

> thanks in advance...

> Geoffrey

> > Use the Type keyword to create an UDT (User Defined Type).

> > Type Checker
> >     King as Boolean
> >     Player as String
> > End Type

> > Then

> > Redim x(0 to i, 0 to j) as Checker

> > Note that you don't have to dim x before you redim it, but it doesn't
> hurt.
> > Try to avoid Redim Preserve, it takes a long time to copy all of the
data
> > across.

> > Jonathan Allen

> > > Hi all!, i'm making a Matrix (like a chess table) but i don't know
which
> > is
> > > the correct data type to use. Each cell contains many fields. I tried
> > using
> > > a dynamic multi array:

> > > Dim x() as Collection

> > > Redim Preserve x(1 to i ,1 to j)

> > > The problem is that the first column must be static. Another thing is
> that
> > > have to create my own filter and sort functions.

> > > Which is the best approach?

> > > thanks in advance,

> > > Geoffrey

Sat, 18 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Building a Matrix

Well, the solution i implemented was using an UDT with recordsets

Private Type Cell
    RS As Recordset
End Type

Private Matrix() As Cell

By now is working fine, thanks folks.

Geoffrey

Quote:
> Hi,

> Each structure has its advantage. A matrix requires a minimum of storage,
> but, as you discovered, is limited to a simple scan each time you wish to
> find something.... Scanning is not a bad technique, if the number of
things
> to be scanned is small.  A collection, a single one, not an array of
> collection, allow you to retrieve an object on one key, so if everything
you
> look for can be described by a single key, it may be useful to look for a
> collection. If many keys may be used, then a dictionary is probably
> preferable. Finally, if computations are required, like finding "those"
> appearing more than four time, key are not very immediately useful and a
> table plus a database engine may help much. If the dimensions are small,
an
> array seems the best solution. Get a second array, a Boolean array,
telling
> if the corresponding element in the first array satisfy the filter or not,
> if that can be useful, somehow, etc.  You are not limited to just one data
> structure.

> Vanderghast, Access MVP

> > Hi all!, i'm making a Matrix (like a chess table) but i don't know which
> is
> > the correct data type to use. Each cell contains many fields. I tried
> using
> > a dynamic multi array:

> > Dim x() as Collection

> > Redim Preserve x(1 to i ,1 to j)

> > The problem is that the first column must be static. Another thing is
that
> > have to create my own filter and sort functions.

> > Which is the best approach?

> > thanks in advance,

> > Geoffrey

Fri, 24 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. ANN: Automate Your Software Builds with Visual Build 2.0

2. What is the difference between build solution and build application

3. building event handlers in a dynamic mainmenu built from an external class

4. How to make build autoincrement version or build number

5. Automate Your Software Builds with Visual Build 2.0

6. Building a variable by building a String??

7. How to Build an Array from check boxes, to build product list

8. ANN: Automate your software builds with Visual Build and VSMake

9. Automate Your Software Builds with Visual Build 2.0

10. ANN: Automate your software builds with Visual Build and VSMake

11. ANNOUNCE: Automate your software builds with Visual Build and VSMake

12. ANN: Automate your software builds with Visual Build and VSMake