Object security (DCOMCFG, Component Services, Security, VB6, Installation)
Author Message
 Object security (DCOMCFG, Component Services, Security, VB6, Installation)

Hi all.

When I create objects and install them, I can go to DCOMCNFG and tweak the
security so the object always runs a particular user, etc.

I sometimes write, or roll my own, administrative tools for NT / 2K
networks.

To make my install easier, I would like to prompt the administrator who is
installing my tool for a username / PW to run the software as.  The object
needs administrative rights that may be different than the launching user
(thus my usual need to send the user to DCOMCNFG).

How does one go about programmatically setting this information?

Can anyone point me to a Q article or some example code?  Maybe there is a
different way to do this?

Anyway, any input or suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks,
Chris

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 05:50:10 GMT
 Object security (DCOMCFG, Component Services, Security, VB6, Installation)
set the reference to COM+ 1.0 Admin Type Library :)
I hope rest you can do :)
HTH

--
Ashok Gupta - ashi

> Hi all.

> When I create objects and install them, I can go to DCOMCNFG and tweak the
> security so the object always runs a particular user, etc.

> I sometimes write, or roll my own, administrative tools for NT / 2K
> networks.

> To make my install easier, I would like to prompt the administrator who is
> installing my tool for a username / PW to run the software as.  The object
> needs administrative rights that may be different than the launching user
> (thus my usual need to send the user to DCOMCNFG).

> How does one go about programmatically setting this information?

> Can anyone point me to a Q article or some example code?  Maybe there is a
> different way to do this?

> Anyway, any input or suggestions would be helpful!

> Thanks,
> Chris

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 20:39:45 GMT
 Object security (DCOMCFG, Component Services, Security, VB6, Installation)
Yes Ashok!

Thanks. Pointed me in the right direction, exactly what I was looking for.

Best regards,
Chris

Quote:
> set the reference to COM+ 1.0 Admin Type Library :)
> I hope rest you can do :)
> HTH

> --
> Ashok Gupta - ashi
rights.

> > Hi all.

> > When I create objects and install them, I can go to DCOMCNFG and tweak
the
> > security so the object always runs a particular user, etc.

> > I sometimes write, or roll my own, administrative tools for NT / 2K
> > networks.

> > To make my install easier, I would like to prompt the administrator who
is
> > installing my tool for a username / PW to run the software as.  The
object
> > needs administrative rights that may be different than the launching
user
> > (thus my usual need to send the user to DCOMCNFG).

> > How does one go about programmatically setting this information?

> > Can anyone point me to a Q article or some example code?  Maybe there is
> > different way to do this?

> > Anyway, any input or suggestions would be helpful!

> > Thanks,
> > Chris

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 05:27:22 GMT

1. Object Model Block on Outlook 2000 Security Patch hamstrings a VB6 application

2. Problems with MTS security or Database Security ?????

3. security prompt where there is no security?

4. Access 2000 Security VS. Access XP Security

5. Use NT Security instead of SQL Security

6. Windows Service - Security Properties - account property

7. Web service security woes....

8. Security accessing an ASP.NET Web Service

9. Security with NT Services and CreateObject

10. Security issues when controlling an NT service

11. Security issues while installing 3rd party Activex (ASP) components on IIS

12. Com Component Security