Instlling my VB application on other PC's advice
Author Message
 Instlling my VB application on other PC's advice

Hello,

I really need some good advice on setting up a single installation file for
my application. I have previously asked for advice on this and people were
very helpful on helping me with the Package and application wizard. But in
my beta testing many people have complained about my installation process.

At the moment one has to
A: download the self extracting file
B: Run this which will un-zip the VB set-up files to your chosen directory
(3 files as produced by pack and dev)
C: Then they need to run the set-up which was unzipped which further
uncompresses the files to go about installing the program in the normal
manner (which may involve a restart)

Below are my queries relating to this.
Ideally what I would have is one executable that when you run it,
immediately goes into the installation rather then first uncompressing and
then needing to run a set-up program. Does anyone know how I could do this?
Is there any good source of information that provides details of different
installer/uninstaller applications? how limited are my options when using
VB?

Also I need to produce a version which does not have the VB runtime
libraries included. This is for people who already have then and therefore
greatly reducing the download time. How do I go about creating a version
that will install without the runtime libraries.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Dave

To view my product please go to www.passwordmanager.co.uk

Wed, 15 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Instlling my VB application on other PC's advice
Dave,    IF you are using VB6, my recommendation involves both a free tool
and a commercial activex control.   First, I recommend you switch to the
Visual Installer from Microsoft which is a free download.  It is very nice,
pretty straight forward to use, has some excellent features and integrate
great with Visual Studio/Visual Basic.  Second, is our product
AgOnlineUpdate.

Using the VS Installer, you create a single file setup package.   Using our
product, you can then have your application automatically check for and
download the setup package and have it automatically execute the installer
upon completion of the download.  (download can be network, local drive or
web location).

The only other option out there is a product called Fusion ( I think ) that
basically create on big file that is executable and when it runs, it places
all the files in the correct spots for execution.  I have never used it and
do not know enough about it so don't take this as a recommendation.. I just
know it exists.   Again with that, you may still want something that can
automatically download/copy and run the setup package for you.

--
Sincerely,

Todd B - CEO - Agendum Software

Quote:
> Hello,

> I really need some good advice on setting up a single installation file
for
> my application. I have previously asked for advice on this and people were
> very helpful on helping me with the Package and application wizard. But in
> my beta testing many people have complained about my installation process.

> At the moment one has to
> A: download the self extracting file
> B: Run this which will un-zip the VB set-up files to your chosen directory
> (3 files as produced by pack and dev)
> C: Then they need to run the set-up which was unzipped which further
> uncompresses the files to go about installing the program in the normal
> manner (which may involve a restart)

> Below are my queries relating to this.
> Ideally what I would have is one executable that when you run it,
> immediately goes into the installation rather then first uncompressing and
> then needing to run a set-up program. Does anyone know how I could do
this?
> Is there any good source of information that provides details of different
> installer/uninstaller applications? how limited are my options when using
> VB?

> Also I need to produce a version which does not have the VB runtime
> libraries included. This is for people who already have then and therefore
> greatly reducing the download time. How do I go about creating a version
> that will install without the runtime libraries.

> Any information is greatly appreciated.

> Kind Regards

> Dave

> To view my product please go to www.passwordmanager.co.uk

Thu, 16 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Instlling my VB application on other PC's advice
A very simple way to do it is to use WinZip SelfExtractor.  The registered
version has a software installation option which allows you to create a
self-extracting zip file (EXE file) which extracts all of your setup files
to a temporary directory and then runs your setup program (which will put
all of the programs in the right place (you control that via the Package &
Deployment Wizard when you create it).  After your install completes - it
deletes the unzipped files and the temporary directory).  It's very
straightforward.

To produce a version that doesn't need the VB runtime files - use WinZip to
create a self extracting Zip file which includes just the files you want
(your exe file and anything else that's changes between versions).  You can
set it up to unzip to a default directory and to overwrite any older
versions that have the same name.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Quote:
> Hello,

> I really need some good advice on setting up a single installation file
for
> my application. I have previously asked for advice on this and people were
> very helpful on helping me with the Package and application wizard. But in
> my beta testing many people have complained about my installation process.

> At the moment one has to
> A: download the self extracting file
> B: Run this which will un-zip the VB set-up files to your chosen directory
> (3 files as produced by pack and dev)
> C: Then they need to run the set-up which was unzipped which further
> uncompresses the files to go about installing the program in the normal
> manner (which may involve a restart)

> Below are my queries relating to this.
> Ideally what I would have is one executable that when you run it,
> immediately goes into the installation rather then first uncompressing and
> then needing to run a set-up program. Does anyone know how I could do
this?
> Is there any good source of information that provides details of different
> installer/uninstaller applications? how limited are my options when using
> VB?

> Also I need to produce a version which does not have the VB runtime
> libraries included. This is for people who already have then and therefore
> greatly reducing the download time. How do I go about creating a version
> that will install without the runtime libraries.

> Any information is greatly appreciated.

> Kind Regards

> Dave

> To view my product please go to www.passwordmanager.co.uk

Thu, 16 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Instlling my VB application on other PC's advice
Scott,

Good advice but one of the things he specifically wanted to avoid was the
reboot issue.  Visual Installer dramatically reduces the reboots problem,
thus my recommendation.. plus it is free.

--
Sincerely,

Todd B - CEO - Agendum Software

Quote:
> [...]

> this?
> > Is there any good source of information that provides details of
different
> > installer/uninstaller applications? how limited are my options when
using
> > VB?

> > Also I need to produce a version which does not have the VB runtime
> > libraries included. This is for people who already have then and
therefore
> > greatly reducing the download time. How do I go about creating a version
> > that will install without the runtime libraries.

> > Any information is greatly appreciated.

> > Kind Regards

> > Dave

> > To view my product please go to www.passwordmanager.co.uk

Thu, 16 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Instlling my VB application on other PC's advice
Thanks for the advice guys and I finally got to try Visual Installer 1.1 and
I can say it is an excellent piece of software making the installation
process much better.

It's really good how you can customize all the user interfaces as the
application is installed. But these is one big draw back. The users need to
have already installed the Windows installer program. When you build a
version that will install this first for you, one is left with a larger set
of files and there is about 6 of them making my original problem worse and
the overall download even larger.

Now ideally I could just distribute the single .msi file that is produced
when you do a build. This would be great as it works so well, but my
understanding is that most peoples PC will not recognise the .msi file until
they have installed the Windows installer. I have no idea how widely
installed this software is.

I believe Win2000 comes as standard with this software but then again this
also is not in wide use.

Therefore  for an easy solution it looks like I am back to using a program
like Win Zip self extractor. I will offer the .msi version as an option but
I still will have this Pack & Dev Wizard version that has the re-boot.

Any advice is welcome and please see the new message I am placing back in
the main thread of this newsgroup.

Quote:
> [...]

> > > Ideally what I would have is one executable that when you run it,
> > > immediately goes into the installation rather then first uncompressing
> and
> > > then needing to run a set-up program. Does anyone know how I could do
> > this?
> > > Is there any good source of information that provides details of
> different
> > > installer/uninstaller applications? how limited are my options when
> using
> > > VB?

> > > Also I need to produce a version which does not have the VB runtime
> > > libraries included. This is for people who already have then and
> therefore
> > > greatly reducing the download time. How do I go about creating a
version
> > > that will install without the runtime libraries.

Thu, 23 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. My VB Application willnot run on some PC's

2. (2nd Post) BASIC programming advice needed: PKWARE'S compression utilities front end application - PROGRAMMING PROJECT

3. Works on my PC, but not others????

4. Everything works in DEVELOPMENT PC and not others

5. Everything works in DEVELOPMENT PC and not others

6. VB 5.0 and VB 6.0 applications on the one PC

7. How to execute Application on 1 Pc and results display on another PC

8. Listing PC's on different domains from 1 pc

9. RealTime applications using VB/VBA seeking advice

10. Deploying vb.net windows form application on a pc without the .net framework

11. Help!Advice for novice VB 'er

12. VB Application only works on PC on which it was created