Error referencing VB 6.0 ActiveX DLL from Word 97
Author Message
 Error referencing VB 6.0 ActiveX DLL from Word 97

I have created a compiled ActiveX DLL using Visual Basic version 6.0.  The
DLL treats Word as an automation server, performing actions using the Word
object model.  This DLL is referenced by a Word template and everything
works wonderfully in Word 2000. The code that does all the Word automation
was originally contained in a Word template, and ran equally well in both
Word 97 and Word 2000 because it didn't use any Word/VBA objects or methods
that were not available in Office 97.

However, I am having problems getting this program to run from Word 97.
When I attempt to set the reference to the DLL under Tools, References of my
Word 97 template, I receive the following error:

Compile error: "Function or interface marked as
restricted, or the function uses an Automation type not supported in Visual
Basic."

The DLL does use ADO, and therefore I have been careful to install MDAC on
the Word 97 platform to ensure it has ADO available. I'm investigating an
article I saw in the Microsoft KB that may shed some light on this
(Q259379), but I am not sure it really addresses this issue that I'm having.

Does anyone know offhand of problems with compiling a DLL in VB 6.0 and then
trying to reference it from Office 97?  Do I need to create the DLL in VB
5.0 in order to get it to run equally well from both Word 97 and Word 2000??

Thanks in advance,
Karen

Tue, 26 Aug 2003 04:01:44 GMT

1. Word '97 Line Number in VB 6.0

2. Word '97 Line Number from VB 6.0

3. Using Word 6.0 and Word 97 in the same app

4. Word 97 - Closing Word Outside App kills object reference

5. Referencing VB DLLs in Access 97...

6. VB 6.0, Crystal Reports 7.0, Access 97 - error

7. VB ActiveX DLL + Access 97 = MAJOR BUG

8. Automation Error when automating Word 97 from Access 97

9. Mail merge error: Access 97 to Word 97

10. Word XP Template Error on Word 97

11. Error VB in Word 97

12. Visual Basic 6.0 and Word 97