ActiveX DLL calling DLL procedures from ASP app...
Author Message
 ActiveX DLL calling DLL procedures from ASP app...

I've downloaded a third-party DLL with procedures that I need to run; we'll
call that library "3party.dll".  I've also written an ActiveX DLL in VB6
that declares the prototypes for the six procedures I need to run in
3party.dll; we'll call my library "myActiveX.dll" and has a registered name
"myActiveX".  I add references to the Microsoft Scripting Runtime and the
Microsoft Active Server Pages Object Library in the myActiveX.dll project,
so I can access the ASP objects necessary for HTML output.

I then create an ASP page that includes code similar to the following:

set objMyActiveXClass = Server.CreateObject("myActiveX.MyActiveXClass")

Then, I try calling a routine within that object which calls the functions
within 3party.dll.

At this point in the ASP, the server encounters error:
0x800A0030, File Not Found: 3party.dll

I not only have 3party.dll copied into the same folder as myActiveX.dll
(\winnt\system32\inetsrv) , but I also have it in \winnt, \winnt\system32,
and the location of the ASP page (just for grins).

Is there something I'm doing wrong?  Can I not call procedures in a DLL from
an ActiveX DLL that is being called from an ASP page?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Taurus

Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:07:52 GMT
 ActiveX DLL calling DLL procedures from ASP app...
Surely you can use DLLs from ActiveX DLLs called from asp.

Some possible causes for your problem
1. The 3party.dll depends on other dlls, and you don't have its dependency
dlls.
2. You mistype the dll file name in your VB code

The best way I think you'd better to call this dll in a VB standard exe and
debug it before using it in ActiveX dll called from asp.

Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:49:00 GMT
 ActiveX DLL calling DLL procedures from ASP app...
Yes, I have already created a standard VB exe which uses the 3party.dll in
the same way (the function prototypes for 3party.dll are identicle in the
exe as in the ActiveX dll), and they are properly called and return the
expected values.

To respond to your #1 suggestion, would I get a File Not Found on 3party.dll
if it was found but its dependencies were not?  It seems like I'd get a File
Not Found on whatever its dependencies are.

Responding to your #2 suggestion, no, the DLL filename in my function
prototypes is correct.  I even went as far as copying the filename from the
Windows Explorer into my code, in case I was having twisted-fingers syndrome
or something and couldn't type it!

Thanks, though.  Any other suggestions?

-Taurus

Quote:
> Surely you can use DLLs from ActiveX DLLs called from asp.

> Some possible causes for your problem
> 1. The 3party.dll depends on other dlls, and you don't have its dependency
> dlls.
> 2. You mistype the dll file name in your VB code

> The best way I think you'd better to call this dll in a VB standard exe
and
> debug it before using it in ActiveX dll called from asp.

Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:11:45 GMT
 ActiveX DLL calling DLL procedures from ASP app...
You may also try the FileMon tool from www.sysinternals.com to see which
file it is looking for.

Mon, 06 Oct 2003 16:38:55 GMT

1. problem calling ActiveX dll from VBScript in ASP

2. Calling VB ActiveX DLL from ASP...

3. Server side (asp) ActiveX dll calls problem (Form open)

4. problem calling ActiveX dll from VBScript in ASP

5. Help: Display app in taskbar when GUI is called from ActiveX DLL

6. Calling Std C DLL from VB ActiveX DLL

7. call winsock DLL from an ActiveX DLL

8. 2 PRBS: Calling 16 bit DLL from VB5 and Bad DLL Calling Convention

9. DLL DLL DLL DLL DLL DLL

10. VB 5.0 calling C++ 5.0 DLL that calls winsock.dll

11. DLL Procedure Call List

12. How to call external DLL procedures in VBA