Active EXE from NT Service
Author Message
 Active EXE from NT Service

I have created an ActiveX EXE (created with VB6) that has several classes in
it, one of which is called HTService.  This class has 4 methods:  Start,
Stop, Pause, and Continue.   The start method, as you might guess, starts up
the rest of the classes and generally sets the application in motion.

I have written a NT Service application using Delphi.  This is a real NT
Service and in its Service Start method, I create an instance of the ActiveX
EXE and call its Start method.

When I am logged in as an administrator to the machine, the service starts
up correctly and everything works fine.  When I set the service to start
automatically, the ActiveX EXE will not get instantiated.  There is some
type of permissions on the ActiveX EXE that I need to set but I can't figure
out what they are.  What permissions do I need to set to allow an instance
of the ActiveX EXE to get created when the service runs without my being
logged on?

Thanks for any assistance,

Chris

Sun, 31 Aug 2003 04:55:54 GMT
 Active EXE from NT Service
start DCOMCNFG.exe and see whether the local system account has access to
your activex .exe.
for easyness give everyone access to it.

--
Session management for webfarms:

> I have created an ActiveX EXE (created with VB6) that has several classes
in
> it, one of which is called HTService.  This class has 4 methods:  Start,
> Stop, Pause, and Continue.   The start method, as you might guess, starts
up
> the rest of the classes and generally sets the application in motion.

> I have written a NT Service application using Delphi.  This is a real NT
> Service and in its Service Start method, I create an instance of the
ActiveX
> EXE and call its Start method.

> When I am logged in as an administrator to the machine, the service starts
> up correctly and everything works fine.  When I set the service to start
> automatically, the ActiveX EXE will not get instantiated.  There is some
> type of permissions on the ActiveX EXE that I need to set but I can't
figure
> out what they are.  What permissions do I need to set to allow an instance
> of the ActiveX EXE to get created when the service runs without my being
> logged on?

> Thanks for any assistance,

> Chris

Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:13:21 GMT
 Active EXE from NT Service
I gave Everyone launch and access priveleges.  But to no avail.  Does anyone
have any other suggestions?

Quote:
> start DCOMCNFG.exe and see whether the local system account has access to
> your activex .exe.
> for easyness give everyone access to it.

> --
> Session management for webfarms:
> http://www.nieropwebconsult.nl/asp_session_manager.htm

> > I have created an ActiveX EXE (created with VB6) that has several
classes
> in
> > it, one of which is called HTService.  This class has 4 methods:  Start,
> > Stop, Pause, and Continue.   The start method, as you might guess,
starts
> up
> > the rest of the classes and generally sets the application in motion.

> > I have written a NT Service application using Delphi.  This is a real NT
> > Service and in its Service Start method, I create an instance of the
> ActiveX
> > EXE and call its Start method.

> > When I am logged in as an administrator to the machine, the service
starts
> > up correctly and everything works fine.  When I set the service to start
> > automatically, the ActiveX EXE will not get instantiated.  There is some
> > type of permissions on the ActiveX EXE that I need to set but I can't
> figure
> > out what they are.  What permissions do I need to set to allow an
instance
> > of the ActiveX EXE to get created when the service runs without my being
> > logged on?

> > Can anyone point me in the right direction?

> > Thanks for any assistance,

> > Chris

Mon, 01 Sep 2003 02:17:12 GMT
 Active EXE from NT Service
After a little investigation, I found that the ActiveX EXE was indeed being
instantiated and running correctly.  It was just{*filter*} on another class
inside.  Setting permissions in DCOMCNFG did help.

Thanks again.

Chris

Quote:
> It seems that all correct if you have used DCOMCFG setting security.
>  What error message did you get or
> anything else to know the active x exe is not instantiated ?

> If ur active x has an UI and it is not shown, that another thing .

> best regards

> > I gave Everyone launch and access priveleges.  But to no avail.  Does
> anyone
> > have any other suggestions?

> > > start DCOMCNFG.exe and see whether the local system account has access
> > > your activex .exe.
> > > for easyness give everyone access to it.

> > > --
> > > Session management for webfarms:
> > > http://www.*-*-*.com/

> > classes
> > > in
> Start,
> > starts
> > > up
motion.

> NT
> > > ActiveX

> > starts
> start
> some
> > > figure
> > instance
> being

Tue, 02 Sep 2003 23:14:25 GMT
 Active EXE from NT Service
It seems that all correct if you have used DCOMCFG setting security.
 What error message did you get or
anything else to know the active x exe is not instantiated ?

If ur active x has an UI and it is not shown, that another thing .

best regards

Quote:
> I gave Everyone launch and access priveleges.  But to no avail.  Does
anyone
> have any other suggestions?

> > start DCOMCNFG.exe and see whether the local system account has access
> > your activex .exe.
> > for easyness give everyone access to it.

> > --
> > Session management for webfarms:
> > http://www.nieropwebconsult.nl/asp_session_manager.htm

> > > I have created an ActiveX EXE (created with VB6) that has several
> classes
> > in
> > > it, one of which is called HTService.  This class has 4 methods:
Start,
> > > Stop, Pause, and Continue.   The start method, as you might guess,
> starts
> > up
> > > the rest of the classes and generally sets the application in motion.

> > > I have written a NT Service application using Delphi.  This is a real
NT
> > > Service and in its Service Start method, I create an instance of the
> > ActiveX
> > > EXE and call its Start method.

> > > When I am logged in as an administrator to the machine, the service
> starts
> > > up correctly and everything works fine.  When I set the service to
start
> > > automatically, the ActiveX EXE will not get instantiated.  There is
some
> > > type of permissions on the ActiveX EXE that I need to set but I can't
> > figure
> > > out what they are.  What permissions do I need to set to allow an
> instance
> > > of the ActiveX EXE to get created when the service runs without my
being
> > > logged on?

> > > Can anyone point me in the right direction?

> > > Thanks for any assistance,

> > > Chris

Tue, 02 Sep 2003 03:33:05 GMT

1. HELP: active-x exe as an service !

2. NT Service: An OLE Control for Creating Windows NT Services in Visual Basic (MSDN article)

3. NT Service: An OLE Control for Creating Windows NT Services in Visual Basic (MSDN article)

4. NT Service: An OLE Control for Creating Windows NT Services in Visual Basic (MSDN article)

5. NT Services and Active Components

6. NT Services and Multiuse Active X Controls

7. Using a VB Service (Without Desktop Manager active on NT)

8. How to put a exe to NT service?

9. VB6 exe as an NT service

10. Making a VB exe a Service in Windows NT

11. Start an .exe as a NT service?

12. ActiveX Exe as NT service?