DCOM
Author Message
 DCOM

I am using DCOM client/servicer in an application and have
noticed that if two clients access the servicer at the
same time one client hangs and the other gets and error.
I have also noted that the client hangs (seemingly
forever) if an attempt is  made to access the server when
the server host machine is not running.  Using the sample
client/server in Q266717 "Create a DCOM Client/Server
Application by Using Visual Basic" will yield these
results.
Does anyone know if there a way to set the time-out period
so that the client will return an error in a resonable
amount of time?

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 02:56:49 GMT
 DCOM
Hi,

This is an uncommon behavior of DCOM. It should not work like that. You
probably know how to set timeout using OleRequestPendingTimeout and
OleServerBusyTimeout properties of the App object, but I suppose more
attention should be paid to machines where you run the demo. Did you try it
on different configurations and operating systems with the same result ?
Some critical DCOM system files like oleaut32.dll could be corrupted or
accidently replaced with obsolete versions.

Regards,
Dmitriy Zakharov.
Brainbench MVP for Visual Basic
http://www.brainbench.com

Quote:
> I am using DCOM client/servicer in an application and have
> noticed that if two clients access the servicer at the
> same time one client hangs and the other gets and error.
> I have also noted that the client hangs (seemingly
> forever) if an attempt is  made to access the server when
> the server host machine is not running.  Using the sample
> client/server in Q266717 "Create a DCOM Client/Server
> Application by Using Visual Basic" will yield these
> results.
> Does anyone know if there a way to set the time-out period
> so that the client will return an error in a resonable
> amount of time?

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:42:55 GMT

1. DCOM, DCOM , DCOM!!!

2. DCOM: Cannot cannot connect multiple users to a DCOM server

3. DCOM: Cannot cannot connect multiple users to a DCOM server

4. DCOM: Cannot cannot connect multiple users to a DCOM server

5. I can flag DCOM, but can DCOM flag me?

6. VB or VJ++: Which produces better performing (i.e. scalable) DCOM, DCOM/MTS or COM+ components ?

7. VB or VJ++: Which produces better performing (i.e. scalable) DCOM, DCOM/MTS or COM+ components ?

8. DCOM component working on single computer but not over network Error Number : 429

9. First DCOM small network program Access DB

10. Urgent! DCOM and Access

11. Calling a custom DCOM function from Access

12. Can I use Outlook 2000 as DCOM Server?