COM+ Automation Error/connection to the transaction manager failed Error/ Q331953
Author Message
 COM+ Automation Error/connection to the transaction manager failed Error/ Q331953

We develop Web Application software that is hosted offsite. Our
Architecture involves ASP Pages, VB6 DLL installed in Com+, XML and
SQL2000. We are posting this to try to help others avoid our pain.

Our application which had been running for 2 months, suddenly started
getting a com+ error. The error was "You made a method call on com+
component that has a transaction that has already aborted or is in the
process of aborting". The error was extremely intermittent but once it
occured, NO saves could take place until com+ and IIS were restarted.
Through testing, we beleive that the error occurs after 15 minutes of
inactivity after several saves. After many days desesparte attempts,
we took the component out of com+. At that point it worked for a short
while and then gave us this error; "Connection to the transaction
manager failed."

This error lead us to a newgroup post for the Microsoft Security Patch
Q331953. It turns out that our hosting company has installed the patch
the day the problem started happening. They failed to remember this
when asked if they changed anything on the site. We have tested
extensively after removing this patch, and cannot recreate the
problem.

We have been unable to find any workorders short of removing the
patch.

We would appreciate hearing from anyone who has found a solution or
knows of a microsoft patch that correction this.

I hope this helps someone identify the problem faster than we did.

Thanks,

--Kim

Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:24:52 GMT
 COM+ Automation Error/connection to the transaction manager failed Error/ Q331953
Kim, could you share a bit more about the specifics of the setup ?  Is
SQL server installed on a separate server?  What kind of
authentication is in place? Was this patch installed on all servers or
just the web-servers ?

Thanks,

Slava Gurevich

Quote:

>We develop Web Application software that is hosted offsite. Our
>Architecture involves ASP Pages, VB6 DLL installed in Com+, XML and
>SQL2000. We are posting this to try to help others avoid our pain.

>Our application which had been running for 2 months, suddenly started
>getting a com+ error. The error was "You made a method call on com+
>component that has a transaction that has already aborted or is in the
>process of aborting". The error was extremely intermittent but once it
>occured, NO saves could take place until com+ and IIS were restarted.
>Through testing, we beleive that the error occurs after 15 minutes of
>inactivity after several saves. After many days desesparte attempts,
>we took the component out of com+. At that point it worked for a short
>while and then gave us this error; "Connection to the transaction
>manager failed."

>This error lead us to a newgroup post for the Microsoft Security Patch
>Q331953. It turns out that our hosting company has installed the patch
>the day the problem started happening. They failed to remember this
>when asked if they changed anything on the site. We have tested
>extensively after removing this patch, and cannot recreate the
>problem.

>We have been unable to find any workorders short of removing the
>patch.

>We would appreciate hearing from anyone who has found a solution or
>knows of a microsoft patch that correction this.

>I hope this helps someone identify the problem faster than we did.

>Thanks,

>--Kim

Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:11:09 GMT
 COM+ Automation Error/connection to the transaction manager failed Error/ Q331953
Hi Slava,

The patch was installed on the Web Server. The SQL Server was running on
a separate box. Since it is remote at the hosting company and they only
gave us access to the web server, I do not know if the patch was on the
SQL Server or not. The patch had to be uninstalled from the web server
in order for the code to work again. The WebServer and Component
Services are installed on the same box. The operating system is Windows
2000 and we are using ado 2.6.

We are using NT authentication through the user specified in the com+
application. Our application is installed in COM+ on the WebServer. The
ASP pages call back to the the Dll. The dll then opens a ado connection,
creates a command object for that connection, add parameters and saves.
The error was only affecting the saves. Our application uses a single
compiled dll with approximately 20 classes. We use disconnected
recordsets and are generally in and out of the dll very quickly. We have
been very careful to close all connections and set all objects to
nothing in both the dll and the asp pages.

The problem was very difficult to diagnose because we promoted the code
from a testing ip address to a production ip address at the same time
that the hosting company added the patch. We were unaware that the patch
had been added and the hosting company didn't mention it when we asked
if anything had been changed on the server. (guess he didn't associate
the patch with the problem we were having).

--Kim

Sat, 01 Oct 2005 08:01:08 GMT
 COM+ Automation Error/connection to the transaction manager failed Error/ Q331953
This patch also appears to break Great Plains orderformtoxml pipeline
component.

After the patch was applied, this pipeline component would error out
CBDXConfig::Execute() - A COM Exception was caught.  Error: 'You made
a method call on a COM+ component that has a transaction that has
already aborted or in the process of aborting.'

Rebooting the server or just IIS, thing would operate for anywhere
between 1/2 to 1 hour, after that the errors would reappear.

After reading this post, and then removing the patch - the problem has
disappeared.

The server is running Windows 2000 Server, Commerce Server 2002,
Message Queuing, and Great Plains eCommerce 6.0 SP2.  The SQL server
is on other hardware.

Thank you for helping reduce the pain we were going through.

- Shawn

Quote:
> Hi Slava,

> The patch was installed on the Web Server. The SQL Server was running on
> a separate box. Since it is remote at the hosting company and they only
> gave us access to the web server, I do not know if the patch was on the
> SQL Server or not. The patch had to be uninstalled from the web server
> in order for the code to work again. The WebServer and Component
> Services are installed on the same box. The operating system is Windows
> 2000 and we are using ado 2.6.

> We are using NT authentication through the user specified in the com+
> application. Our application is installed in COM+ on the WebServer. The
> ASP pages call back to the the Dll. The dll then opens a ado connection,
> creates a command object for that connection, add parameters and saves.
> The error was only affecting the saves. Our application uses a single
> compiled dll with approximately 20 classes. We use disconnected
> recordsets and are generally in and out of the dll very quickly. We have
> been very careful to close all connections and set all objects to
> nothing in both the dll and the asp pages.

> The problem was very difficult to diagnose because we promoted the code
> from a testing ip address to a production ip address at the same time
> that the hosting company added the patch. We were unaware that the patch
> had been added and the hosting company didn't mention it when we asked
> if anything had been changed on the server. (guess he didn't associate
> the patch with the problem we were having).

> --Kim

Sun, 02 Oct 2005 21:54:45 GMT

1. Automation Error during Remote Procedure Call (RPC) using DCOM and Automation Manager

2. Automation -214xxxxxx error or Mtheod ~ of ~ object failed error

3. Compile error: Automation error, Error 32811: Unexpected error

4. Automation error referencing .net dll from com (com interop)

5. Compilation error: Automation Error (Error 440)

6. Run-time error '-2147417846 (8001010a)': Automation error (error 440)

7. VB6/COM+ multiple database transaction errors not trapped soon enough

8. Report fails on some Win95 Clients (Automation error)

9. Prob: Error Doing Connection.Execute While In Transaction

10. Run-time error '-2147417846 (8001010a)': Automation error (error 440)

11. VB4 RemAuto Connection Manager Error

12. Error 20639: SQL Expression error - Error in creating SQL Expression COM Parser (cpeaut32)