CLIREG32 generates "Registry Error"
Author Message
 CLIREG32 generates "Registry Error"

Hello all,

I am trying to register remotely my VBR file on Win2000 advanced server.
The clireg32 utility gives the "Registry Error".

Please help.

Thank you very much.

Mon, 05 Jan 2004 07:16:19 GMT
 CLIREG32 generates "Registry Error"
This is likely caused by insufficient permissions on the server machine for
the user trying to install the app or run clireg32.  To check this you can
run regsvr32 from the same user account that the clireg32 fails and look
through HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.  Look for any greyed out keys and those will be
the ones you don't have permission to.  Check HKCR, HKCR\CLSID, HKCR\IID,
and HKCR\TypeLib and make sure you have full control for those keys.  You
can also try capturing a regmon log using the regmon tool at
http://www.sysinternals.com.  If it is failing in the registry, this will
probably tell you where.

Kevin - Microsoft Visual Basic Support

--------------------

| Subject: CLIREG32 generates "Registry Error"
| Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 18:16:19 -0500

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vb.com
|
| Hello all,
|
| I am trying to register remotely my VBR file on Win2000 advanced server.
| The clireg32 utility gives the "Registry Error".
|
| Please help.
|
| Thank you very much.

Tue, 06 Jan 2004 06:16:14 GMT
 CLIREG32 generates "Registry Error"
Hi Kevin,

Thank you very much for response.

I did monitor and compare registration process via Registry Monitor on both
machines and found that it generates error when it tries to access the
following registry key:

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/RPC/ClientProtocols

On the machine where it works there is a folder CLIENTPROTOCOLS but on the
machine where it fails  there no CLIENTPROTOCOLS.

Looks like some kind of RPC protocols are not registered .

Do you know how do I register or install protocols on Win2000 advanced
server.

Thank you very much for your help.

Quote:
> This is likely caused by insufficient permissions on the server machine
for
> the user trying to install the app or run clireg32.  To check this you can
> run regsvr32 from the same user account that the clireg32 fails and look
> through HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.  Look for any greyed out keys and those will be
> the ones you don't have permission to.  Check HKCR, HKCR\CLSID, HKCR\IID,
> and HKCR\TypeLib and make sure you have full control for those keys.  You
> can also try capturing a regmon log using the regmon tool at
> http://www.sysinternals.com.  If it is failing in the registry, this will
> probably tell you where.

> Kevin - Microsoft Visual Basic Support

> --------------------

> | Subject: CLIREG32 generates "Registry Error"
> | Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 18:16:19 -0500

> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vb.com
> |
> | Hello all,
> |
> | I am trying to register remotely my VBR file on Win2000 advanced server.
> | The clireg32 utility gives the "Registry Error".
> |
> | Please help.
> |
> | Thank you very much.

Tue, 06 Jan 2004 07:46:04 GMT
 CLIREG32 generates "Registry Error"
There are a few things we can do to restore the RPC protocols.

1. First, the RPC Server Service is installed by the File and Print
sharing.  So you can try to uninstall, then reinstall that.
2. Second, the RPC Locator Service is installed by the Client for Microsoft
Networks, so you can try to uninstall and reinstall that as well.
3. Export the ClientProtocols registry key from a working machine and
import it into the machine that is failing.  The values under
ClientProtocols will be the same on 99% of the machines you encounter so in
general this should not be a problem.
4. You may also want to check out Q292527 for information on manually
creating this key and checking permissions on that key.

Igor, please let me know if this resolves the problem or leads to any new
information.

Thanks,
Kevin - Microsoft Visual Basic Support

--------------------

| Subject: Re: CLIREG32 generates "Registry Error"
| Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 18:46:04 -0500

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vb.com
|
| Hi Kevin,
|
| Thank you very much for response.
|
| I did monitor and compare registration process via Registry Monitor on
both
| machines and found that it generates error when it tries to access the
| following registry key:
|
| HKLM/Software/Microsoft/RPC/ClientProtocols
|
| On the machine where it works there is a folder CLIENTPROTOCOLS but on the
| machine where it fails  there no CLIENTPROTOCOLS.
|
| Looks like some kind of RPC protocols are not registered .
|
| Do you know how do I register or install protocols on Win2000 advanced
| server.
|
| Thank you very much for your help.
|

| > This is likely caused by insufficient permissions on the server machine
| for
| > the user trying to install the app or run clireg32.  To check this you
can
| > run regsvr32 from the same user account that the clireg32 fails and look
| > through HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.  Look for any greyed out keys and those will
be
| > the ones you don't have permission to.  Check HKCR, HKCR\CLSID,
HKCR\IID,
| > and HKCR\TypeLib and make sure you have full control for those keys.
You
| > can also try capturing a regmon log using the regmon tool at
| > http://www.sysinternals.com.  If it is failing in the registry, this
will
| > probably tell you where.
| >
| > Kevin - Microsoft Visual Basic Support
| >
| > --------------------

| > | Subject: CLIREG32 generates "Registry Error"
| > | Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 18:16:19 -0500

| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vb.com
| > |
| > | Hello all,
| > |
| > | I am trying to register remotely my VBR file on Win2000 advanced
server.
| > | The clireg32 utility gives the "Registry Error".
| > |
| > | Please help.
| > |
| > | Thank you very much.
| > |
| > |
| > |

Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:50:00 GMT
 CLIREG32 generates "Registry Error"
Hi Kevin,

Thank you again for all your responses.

Honestly that is the first time that I have got a very fast and usefull
response from Microsoft Support.
That was a really pleasant surprise. :-)

First I found the way around the problem by simply finding out what kind of
registry changes the clireg32 does.
And then I simply edited Registry manually and my client EXE started to work
just fine.

Then I used your #3 way to fix it and impored the
HKLM/Software/Microsoft/RPC key from the Win2000 professional OS to the
Win2000 Advanced Server OS. The clireg32 started to work with no problem.

I also went in Component Services and found the RPC Locator Service and
started it.
But it did not seem to affect anything.

How do you reinstall component service in Win2000? I didn't research that
one yet.

All the best to you.

Igor. (VB programmer)
Chicago.

Quote:
> [...]

> | server.
> |
> | Thank you very much for your help.
> |

> | > This is likely caused by insufficient permissions on the server
machine
> | for
> | > the user trying to install the app or run clireg32.  To check this you
> can
> | > run regsvr32 from the same user account that the clireg32 fails and
look
> | > through HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.  Look for any greyed out keys and those
will
> be
> | > the ones you don't have permission to.  Check HKCR, HKCR\CLSID,
> HKCR\IID,
> | > and HKCR\TypeLib and make sure you have full control for those keys.
> You
> | > can also try capturing a regmon log using the regmon tool at

Wed, 07 Jan 2004 03:01:40 GMT
 CLIREG32 generates "Registry Error"
Igor,

Thanks for the kind words.

As for component services, I am not aware of any way that you could
reinstall that feature, or really any reason why you would want to.
Component services is really just a utility to allow you to manage all of
the services on your machine (or other machines).  What you would want to
do is uninstall and reinstall the RPC services via my first two steps.  Of
course, the other two methods that worked for you are just as well so it is
a matter of preference there.

Kevin - Microsoft Visual Basic Support

--------------------

| Subject: Re: CLIREG32 generates "Registry Error"
| Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:01:40 -0500

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vb.com
|
| Hi Kevin,
|
| Thank you again for all your responses.
|
| Honestly that is the first time that I have got a very fast and usefull
| response from Microsoft Support.
| That was a really pleasant surprise. :-)
|

| First I found the way around the problem by simply finding out what kind
of
| registry changes the clireg32 does.
| And then I simply edited Registry manually and my client EXE started to
work
| just fine.
|
| Then I used your #3 way to fix it and impored the
| HKLM/Software/Microsoft/RPC key from the Win2000 professional OS to the
| Win2000 Advanced Server OS. The clireg32 started to work with no problem.
|
| I also went in Component Services and found the RPC Locator Service and
| started it.
| But it did not seem to affect anything.
|
| How do you reinstall component service in Win2000? I didn't research that
| one yet.
|
| All the best to you.
|
| Igor. (VB programmer)
| Chicago.
|

| > There are a few things we can do to restore the RPC protocols.
| >
| > 1. First, the RPC Server Service is installed by the File and Print
| > sharing.  So you can try to uninstall, then reinstall that.
| > 2. Second, the RPC Locator Service is installed by the Client for
| Microsoft
| > Networks, so you can try to uninstall and reinstall that as well.
| > 3. Export the ClientProtocols registry key from a working machine and
| > import it into the machine that is failing.  The values under
| > ClientProtocols will be the same on 99% of the machines you encounter so
| in
| > general this should not be a problem.
| > 4. You may also want to check out Q292527 for information on manually
| > creating this key and checking permissions on that key.
| >
| > Igor, please let me know if this resolves the problem or leads to any
new
| > information.
| >
| > Thanks,
| > Kevin - Microsoft Visual Basic Support
| >
| > --------------------

| > | Subject: Re: CLIREG32 generates "Registry Error"
| > | Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 18:46:04 -0500

| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vb.com
| > |
| > | Hi Kevin,
| > |
| > | Thank you very much for response.
| > |
| > | I did monitor and compare registration process via Registry Monitor on
| > both
| > | machines and found that it generates error when it tries to access the
| > | following registry key:
| > |
| > | HKLM/Software/Microsoft/RPC/ClientProtocols
| > |
| > | On the machine where it works there is a folder CLIENTPROTOCOLS but on
| the
| > | machine where it fails  there no CLIENTPROTOCOLS.
| > |
| > | Looks like some kind of RPC protocols are not registered .
| > |
| > | Do you know how do I register or install protocols on Win2000 advanced
| > | server.
| > |
| > | Thank you very much for your help.
| > |
| > |

| machine
| > | for
| > can
| look
| will
| > be
| > HKCR\IID,
| > You
| > will

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > server.
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

Sat, 10 Jan 2004 02:48:51 GMT

1. wordbasic statement "AppMaximize" generates error 438

2. "Error accessing system registry" message

3. Generate appointments "Invite" problem

4. Generate Visio drawings "on the fly"?

5. Word generates "Disk Full" message

6. Getting the "Generated Preview"

7. *"*-.,._,.-*"* I"LL TRADE VISUAL C++ FOR VBASIC *"*-.,_,.-*"*

8. Getting the "Generated Preview"

9. Error 3043: "Disk or Network error"

10. Access 2000 Error - "Application Defined Error"

11. Printing Error "Run Time error 486"

12. "DONT USE UNC" Registry key question