ActiveX EXE and Error 70: Permission Denied
Author Message
 ActiveX EXE and Error 70: Permission Denied

I have created an ActiveX EXE that contains an object that I intend to use
to pass data from a client machine to a server.  I successfully tested the
ActiveX EXE on my development machine (Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, sp4) with
a client running on a test machine (Windows 95), and I was able to access
the object with no problems.  I packaged the ActiveX EXE using the Package
and Deployment Wizard and installed the EXE on a Windows NT 4.0 Server (SP5)
which is a Backup Domain Controller.  I also packaged the client and
installed it on an Windows 95 machine.  Seems like everything should be
fine, only it doesn't work.  No matter what I try, when the client tries to
create the object on the server, I get error 70: "Permission Denied."
Actually, the first error I received was "ActiveX component could not create
object" (or something like that, I think the error number was 498).  Anyway,
I went to my original client test machine (Win95), the one that worked when
I tested the component on my development machine, and I tried to create the
component on the Windows NT 4.0 Server.  It worked, so I thought maybe the
problem is permissions.  I used dcomcnfg on the server to set up permissions
for the ActiveX EXE.  Now, both clients fail with Error 70.  I've tried so
many combinations of permissions (including Everyone - Allow Access and
Allow Launch).  IT WILL NOT WORK!!!  I've tried so many things, I've
forgotten what I have tried.  Please, can anyone point me in the right
direction?

P.S. - I've tried MSDN and Microsoft's knowledge base:  If there are
articles on those forums specific to this type of problem then they are very
well hidden.  I can't think of any other combination of search criteria.
Help!!!

Mon, 01 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ActiveX EXE and Error 70: Permission Denied
I've had a similar problem and it came down to permissions on BOTH PCs .. I
don't know if you were like me and am only changing permissions on the
server alone.  The problem was with the ByRef parameters I was passing ..
the client had to have permissions set correctly so that the server
processes could get back.

Eric Rudisill

Quote:
> I have created an ActiveX EXE that contains an object that I intend to use
> to pass data from a client machine to a server.  I successfully tested the
> ActiveX EXE on my development machine (Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, sp4)
with
> a client running on a test machine (Windows 95), and I was able to access
> the object with no problems.  I packaged the ActiveX EXE using the Package
> and Deployment Wizard and installed the EXE on a Windows NT 4.0 Server
(SP5)
> which is a Backup Domain Controller.  I also packaged the client and
> installed it on an Windows 95 machine.  Seems like everything should be
> fine, only it doesn't work.  No matter what I try, when the client tries
> create the object on the server, I get error 70: "Permission Denied."
> Actually, the first error I received was "ActiveX component could not
create
> object" (or something like that, I think the error number was 498).
Anyway,
> I went to my original client test machine (Win95), the one that worked
when
> I tested the component on my development machine, and I tried to create
the
> component on the Windows NT 4.0 Server.  It worked, so I thought maybe the
> problem is permissions.  I used dcomcnfg on the server to set up
permissions
> for the ActiveX EXE.  Now, both clients fail with Error 70.  I've tried so
> many combinations of permissions (including Everyone - Allow Access and
> Allow Launch).  IT WILL NOT WORK!!!  I've tried so many things, I've
> forgotten what I have tried.  Please, can anyone point me in the right
> direction?

> P.S. - I've tried MSDN and Microsoft's knowledge base:  If there are
> articles on those forums specific to this type of problem then they are
very
> well hidden.  I can't think of any other combination of search criteria.
> Help!!!

Mon, 01 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. IIS / MTS / ActiveX EXE - Error 70 : Permission Denied

2. Error Number : 70 and Error Description : Permission Denied

3. Compile Error - Permission Denied (Error 70)

4. Permission Denied (Error 70)

5. error 70: permission denied for MsgBox

6. winNT: run-time error 70, permission denied ?

7. VB4 & Acc 2 - Error 70 Permission Denied

8. Error 70: Permission Denied (over network)

9. Shell error 70 permission denied

10. runtime error 70 Permission denied:

11. Runtime error '70' Permission denied

12. : Error 70 - Permission Denied