ActiveX exe problem
Author Message
 ActiveX exe problem

Hello

I posted this problem yesterday and got one reply which
wasn't what I was looking for. Can anyone take a look and
a guess please?

Thanks

As part of a project I am working on, I am developing an
ActiveX exe which acts as an alarm logger. if any of the
back office processes (standard exe) fail, they invoke a
method on the activeX exe (ReceiveAlarm) which raises an
alarm event (AlarmOccured). the idea is that one can have
a monitopring program (standard exe) which when running
will immediately receive this alarm event and display
something on the screen to alert someone. Nothing tricky
so far, but as a test, I get one of the processes to call
the activeX exe's Receivealarm method, but the monitoring
application doesn't receive the alarm. I have debugged it
and cansee that when the activex receives the ReceiveAlarm
method, it raises the AlarmOccured event, but no luck with
the monitor app. If I manualy raise AlarmOccured for test
purposes, say by using a timer, the monitor app receives
it. The activex exe's instancing property is set to
multiuse, but it is as if, the active X can only talk to
one client. I am using simple event notification method. I
have tried many things. If you look at the attached file,
I have modified a very simple version of the VB sample's
coffee program (very short code). one is the server, one
is the client (analogous to my monitor app) and the last
is the caller (analogous to my backoffice process)

Any help would be appritiated as i am getting quite
desperate.

Regards

Nima Kamkar

  Coffee sample.txt
2K Download

Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:37:50 GMT
 ActiveX exe problem

Hello,

My name is Jian-Wei Yu. Thank you for using the Microsoft VB Newsgroups.

You actually get different objects from the same "component.". a Singleton
COM Object is difficult to  be created in Visual Basic.

You can receive the event which raised with a timer, but you may notice
that different clients receive the event at different time if the interval
is long enough (like 6 seconds). They are raised from different objects.

Hope it helps. If you have any questions, please reply to this post.

Best Regards,

Jian-Wei Yu
Microsoft Support

Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:28:46 GMT
 ActiveX exe problem
Hello Jian-wei

Many thanks for your reply. In the actual program, I am
not using the timer at all. that was just to show that the
client code works fine. The real thing is that one client
calls the method on the activex exe and the other client
sees the event. In the coffee example I have attached,
what I want to see is that if you click on the button on
the caller, the client (monitor app) sees the event and
displays the time in the list box. Can you please comment
on that?

Regards

Nima

Quote:

confers no rights.

>.

Fri, 23 Jul 2004 19:03:07 GMT
 ActiveX exe problem
Hello again

Better way of explainig the problem is:

1 - run the Coffee server  (activex exe)
2 - run the Coffee client  (monitoring app)
3 - run the coffee caller  (back office process)
4 - make sure the timer is DISABLED

if you click on the buton on the coffee caller, it should
call a method on the server (which it does), then the
server should raise an event (which it does), and then the
client dhould receive the event through its withevent
handler (which it DOESN'T). If you use the timer, it means
that the server can talk to the client. But my scenario
does not work.

Fri, 23 Jul 2004 19:05:29 GMT

1. Client /Server ActiveX EXE Problem

2. asynchronous ActiveX EXE problem

3. ACTIVEX EXE Problem.

4. ActiveX EXE Problem!

5. ActiveX EXE problem -- Please Help !!

6. Client /Server ActiveX EXE Problem

7. VB Doc ActiveX Exe problem

8. ActiveX EXE Problem!

9. ActiveX EXE problem drives me nuts!!!

10. ActiveX.exe or ActiveX DLL or ActiveX Control?????????????

11. ActiveX DLL, ActiveX EXE & ActiveX OCX version

12. ActiveX DLL, ActiveX EXE & ActiveX OCX version