ADO Performance Question
Author Message
 ADO Performance Question

Hello Everyone,

I was trying to figure out which would be the best way to return data to a
VB COM+ Object from my stored procedures.

Basically I have a parent Child Relationship  ie Orders OrderDetails.  Lets
say we have an ASP page making calls to this COM+ Object and it produces a
summary page of an accounts orders.  Lets this say summary includes
OrderDate, FillDate and OrderTotal.  It also includes a link to the
orderdetails.asp which will pop up another window with more summary
information and the item details for the order.  On the detail page will be
a combination of info From Orders and OrderDetails.  In addition to the
Columns that appear on the summary page the details page will also include
Salesperson, FOB, ShippedFrom, TrackNo, Invoice etc.

Now using this set up I have these options as I see it:

1. Return all of that info with the first recordset on summary.asp and stick
it in the URL, and the use the Query String to populate the values and
execute another stored proc to get details  (This seems like it might return
much more info than necessary because you would have all of details info
even though the user may never click on a majority of his order summaries)

2. Join the two tables in details proc.  Seems to be way too expensive for
the DB and duplicates a lot of info only used once on the details page.

3. Perform two selects on the database the first populating output
parameters with the info from the orders table, and the second returning a
recordset of all associated details.

4. Perform two selects on the database returning a recordset for each the
orders and the details table and using Set rsDetails =
rsOrders.nextrecordset

5. Return the info in XML Format. Which doesn't seem like a bad option but
if we do this should we A. return our entire XML structure leaving a ton of
blank nodes or should we B. just return the subset that we are concerned
with.  A seems to invlove a FOR EXPLICIT query which isn't a problem as we
have it already, but it is using several UNION ALLs and seems that while
optimized still might be harder on the database than a recordset or two.  B
I think would mean that we might have trouble validating it against our XSLT
since it is starting at the Order Node and not root (I don't know this it is
just what I "ASSUME" to be.

Well those cover all of the ways I thought of. Which would be most efficient
for VB as I don't really care how I return the Info , and I find it doesn't
seem to make much of a difference to the db whether I use 3 or 4.

I appreciate any thoughts, experience you might have on the matter.

Regards,
Bill

Tue, 15 Jul 2003 00:05:37 GMT

1. ADO performance question

2. ADO performance question

3. ADO Performance question

4. ADO's Performance vs DAO's Performance

5. ado performance - ms-access vs odbc

6. ADO Performance

7. Performance problems with shaped record sets and collections - VB6, ADO

8. How to improve ADO performance

9. Performance issue - Access 2000 using VB6 and ADO 2.1 with SQL

10. ADO: Performance Testing vs. DAO

11. Improving ADO performances against SQL Server?

12. ADO "AddNew" Performance Issue