Checking COM+ Role membership.
Author Message
 Checking COM+ Role membership.

I am using VB and have a need to obtain the COM+ roles that a user is a
member of under a specified application.  The problem I have is this.  The
person running the component is most likely looking for someone else other
than themselves which means I cannot use the 'IsCallerInRole' function of
the Security context.

The other problem is that individual users are not placed directly in COM+
Roles but are placed in NT groups and those groups are placed in COM+ Roles.
I have done some research and determined there are a number of options.  I
was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the following.

The COM+ Security Context object has a IsUsersInRole function.  It asks for
a puser type and also a role name.  My question here is what datatype is
puser - String, UDT?

I would assume that there are API calls and I could use these to get all the
groups that a user is a member of.  Does any know of specific API calls I
can use to accomplish this?

I appreciate all help that anyone may be able to provide.  If anyone needs
more information please post to the group and I will provide

Thanks

Mon, 25 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Checking COM+ Role membership.
I ended up finding some documention in the online version of the platform
SDK documentation.  The puser that is a parameter is looking for a variant
that contains the user name that you are looking for.  As I found out you
will need to supply the full name including Domain Name if needed.

Andrew

Quote:
> I am using VB and have a need to obtain the COM+ roles that a user is a
> member of under a specified application.  The problem I have is this.  The
> person running the component is most likely looking for someone else other
> than themselves which means I cannot use the 'IsCallerInRole' function of
> the Security context.

> The other problem is that individual users are not placed directly in COM+
> Roles but are placed in NT groups and those groups are placed in COM+
Roles.
> I have done some research and determined there are a number of options.  I
> was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the following.

> The COM+ Security Context object has a IsUsersInRole function.  It asks
for
> a puser type and also a role name.  My question here is what datatype is
> puser - String, UDT?

> I would assume that there are API calls and I could use these to get all
the
> groups that a user is a member of.  Does any know of specific API calls I
> can use to accomplish this?

> I appreciate all help that anyone may be able to provide.  If anyone needs
> more information please post to the group and I will provide

> Thanks

Mon, 25 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Programmatically determine a users membership in COM+ roles.

2. Programmatically determine a users membership in COM+ roles.

3. Create new Roles on W2k3 com+ application

4. ASP COM+ Impersonation and Role based security provlems

5. Using roles in COM+ : design problem

6. ASP COM+ Impersonation and Role based security provlems

7. COM Role: Automation Error

8. Get list of users belonging to COM+ role?

9. Role security settings in COM+

10. ASP COM+ Impersonation and Role based security provlems

11. Role security settings in COM+

12. ASP COM+ Impersonation and Role based security provlems