VB COM component in Win2k Component Services
Author Message
 VB COM component in Win2k Component Services

Using Win2k SP2 with IIS5, VB6 SP4...

Hi, all!!   I've created a simple test component in VB6 (SP4) and installed
it in Component Services (under IIS In-Process Applications), and I have a
couple questions.  First, when I click on the Interfaces folder, none of the
exposed interfaces are displayed on the right hand pane.  Is this by design,
a bug, or is this only available for objects created under C++?

Second, when I go to the Security tab, it's completely disabled; is this
another option that's available only to non-VB objects, or is there
something special I need to do in VB or elsewhere to make this active?

Third, do I have to create the remote server files with objects if there are
to be installed in Component Services?  The test objects I've created work
beauty when called from VB, ASP, etc...

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated!
SteveB

Tue, 27 Jan 2004 01:26:25 GMT
 VB COM component in Win2k Component Services
Steve,

Quote:
> Using Win2k SP2 with IIS5, VB6 SP4...

> Hi, all!!   I've created a simple test component in VB6 (SP4) and
installed
> it in Component Services (under IIS In-Process Applications),

One thing here: that application is installed by IIS and shouldn't be
modified except by IIS. The fact that you're using the DLL from ASP doesn't
mean that you need to put it there. Just create a new app and put your DLL
in there.

Quote:
> and I have a
> couple questions.  First, when I click on the Interfaces folder, none of
the
> exposed interfaces are displayed on the right hand pane.  Is this by
design,
> a bug, or is this only available for objects created under C++?

Are they public?

Quote:
> Second, when I go to the Security tab, it's completely disabled; is this
> another option that's available only to non-VB objects, or is there
> something special I need to do in VB or elsewhere to make this active?

That's because the application activation mode is set to "Library" instead
of "Server" and there's little security you can set on a library app. Again,
move it to your own application.

Quote:
> Third, do I have to create the remote server files with objects if there
are
> to be installed in Component Services?  The test objects I've created work
> beauty when called from VB, ASP, etc...

Only if you need to execute the objects from another server. If the IIS
server is using COM+ on the same box then there's no need to export or proxy
anything.

--
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Klaus H. Probst, MVP

Please post/reply to the newsgroup(s)

Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:53:17 GMT
 VB COM component in Win2k Component Services
Hi Steve,

The absence of interfaces is not a bug. When you add new component to a COM+
package, always choose "Install New Component". If you choose "Import ...
already registered", the component may appear with no interfaces.

Regards,
Dmitriy Zakharov.
Brainbench MVP for Visual Basic
http://www.brainbench.com

Quote:
> Using Win2k SP2 with IIS5, VB6 SP4...

> Hi, all!!   I've created a simple test component in VB6 (SP4) and
installed
> it in Component Services (under IIS In-Process Applications), and I have a
> couple questions.  First, when I click on the Interfaces folder, none of
the
> exposed interfaces are displayed on the right hand pane.  Is this by
design,
> a bug, or is this only available for objects created under C++?

> Second, when I go to the Security tab, it's completely disabled; is this
> another option that's available only to non-VB objects, or is there
> something special I need to do in VB or elsewhere to make this active?

> Third, do I have to create the remote server files with objects if there
are
> to be installed in Component Services?  The test objects I've created work
> beauty when called from VB, ASP, etc...

> Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated!
> SteveB

Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:33:25 GMT
 VB COM component in Win2k Component Services
Hi, Klaus!  Thanks for responding!

Quote:

> One thing here: that application is installed by IIS and shouldn't be
> modified except by IIS. The fact that you're using the DLL from ASP
doesn't
> mean that you need to put it there. Just create a new app and put your DLL
> in there.

Ahh... good to know... :)

Quote:
> > and I have a
> > couple questions.  First, when I click on the Interfaces folder, none of
> the
> > exposed interfaces are displayed on the right hand pane.  Is this by
> design,
> > a bug, or is this only available for objects created under C++?

> Are they public?

Yes, the interfaces are public...

Quote:
> > Second, when I go to the Security tab, it's completely disabled; is this
> > another option that's available only to non-VB objects, or is there
> > something special I need to do in VB or elsewhere to make this active?

> That's because the application activation mode is set to "Library" instead
> of "Server" and there's little security you can set on a library app.
Again,
> move it to your own application.

OK, more good info... :)

Quote:
> > Third, do I have to create the remote server files with objects if there
> are
> > to be installed in Component Services?  The test objects I've created
work
> > beauty when called from VB, ASP, etc...

> Only if you need to execute the objects from another server. If the IIS
> server is using COM+ on the same box then there's no need to export or
proxy
> anything.

Thanks for the great post!   This is all very useful info...  I'll go in the
direction suggested here, and let y'all know how it goes...

Thanks again!
SteveB

Wed, 28 Jan 2004 01:53:49 GMT
 VB COM component in Win2k Component Services
Have you ensures that the classes you use have been set as mts objects ie
use transactions, require transactions etc

Also are your functions and methods public as these will be the only ones
that show up in MTS

No you dont need to create remote server files for COM+ but you must have
binary compatability set running in debug

hth

Quote:
> Using Win2k SP2 with IIS5, VB6 SP4...

> Hi, all!!   I've created a simple test component in VB6 (SP4) and
installed
> it in Component Services (under IIS In-Process Applications), and I have a
> couple questions.  First, when I click on the Interfaces folder, none of
the
> exposed interfaces are displayed on the right hand pane.  Is this by
design,
> a bug, or is this only available for objects created under C++?

> Second, when I go to the Security tab, it's completely disabled; is this
> another option that's available only to non-VB objects, or is there
> something special I need to do in VB or elsewhere to make this active?

> Third, do I have to create the remote server files with objects if there
are
> to be installed in Component Services?  The test objects I've created work
> beauty when called from VB, ASP, etc...

> Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated!
> SteveB

Mon, 02 Feb 2004 02:54:42 GMT

1. Where can i find Com+ Services type library or Component services com+ 1.0 for Win98

2. Update a COM+ DLL in Component Services on Win2K

3. CryptAcquireContext failed in Component Service on Win2K

4. Problem with call Component in Component Services

5. Help: W2K, IIS, ASP, Component Services, SQL, NT Service and VB

6. COM component as a Visual component??

7. COM component as a Visual component??

8. Error, Component Services, and VB6 COM

9. Recommend a Component or Service for generating maps like Mapquest.com

10. Recommend a Component or Service for generating maps like Mapquest.com

11. Recommend a Component or Service for generating maps like Mapquest.com

12. COM + and COM Services on Win2k