Error when creating dll: variable uses an automation type not supported in visual basic
Author Message
 Error when creating dll: variable uses an automation type not supported in visual basic

I receive the following error, but only when I'm creating the DLL (a full
compile creates no errors):

"variable uses an automation type not supported in Visual Basic"

After the error comes up and I click OK, VB would normally point out the
problem.  But for some reason this does not occur in my situation.

Does anyone have any idea where the source of the problem is?

BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

We have a Win2K box deticated only to making the DLL's.  The configuration
of the box has not changed in the last 24 hours (the last time we made a
build), and I'm able to successfully compile and create 6 other dll's.  I
have already checked all of the data types that are supported in VC, but not
in VB and found no references in any of the files (eg. unsigned short).  I
would try to go through and find the error myself, but there are about 50
class files each with 50 methods in this one object (all of which make
references to methods in their own class and to other classes and other
objects.)

PLEASE HELP!  ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!

Greg

Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:13:32 GMT
 Error when creating dll: variable uses an automation type not supported in visual basic
Just in case anyone wants to know, we found the error.

Someone was passing optional parameters to a method and assigning values to
them.

public function xxx (var1, var2, Optional var3 = null, Optional var4 = null)
as blah blah blah

It would have been nice if VB would have pointed out the error, but after we
removed the "= null", it created the
dll without any problems.

ENJOY!

Quote:
> I receive the following error, but only when I'm creating the DLL (a full
> compile creates no errors):

> "variable uses an automation type not supported in visual basic"

> After the error comes up and I click OK, VB would normally point out the
> problem.  But for some reason this does not occur in my situation.

> Does anyone have any idea where the source of the problem is?

> BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

> We have a Win2K box deticated only to making the DLL's.  The configuration
> of the box has not changed in the last 24 hours (the last time we made a
> build), and I'm able to successfully compile and create 6 other dll's.  I
> have already checked all of the data types that are supported in VC, but
not
> in VB and found no references in any of the files (eg. unsigned short).  I
> would try to go through and find the error myself, but there are about 50
> class files each with 50 methods in this one object (all of which make
> references to methods in their own class and to other classes and other
> objects.)

> PLEASE HELP!  ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!

> Greg

Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:19:32 GMT
 Error when creating dll: variable uses an automation type not supported in visual basic
Hi Greg,

I have seen that error occur when using late binding methods, and I suspect
that is happening here. That would explain why you do no see any errors
during compile time. Are you using any late binding methods? If so try
changing them to early binding and see if that does not create a compile
time error. Hope this helps.

--

Brian Brackeen

Brainbench MVP for Visual Basic
http://www.brainbench.com
http://www.vbcoder.com

Quote:
> I receive the following error, but only when I'm creating the DLL (a full
> compile creates no errors):

> "variable uses an automation type not supported in visual basic"

> After the error comes up and I click OK, VB would normally point out the
> problem.  But for some reason this does not occur in my situation.

> Does anyone have any idea where the source of the problem is?

> BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

> We have a Win2K box deticated only to making the DLL's.  The configuration
> of the box has not changed in the last 24 hours (the last time we made a
> build), and I'm able to successfully compile and create 6 other dll's.  I
> have already checked all of the data types that are supported in VC, but
not
> in VB and found no references in any of the files (eg. unsigned short).  I
> would try to go through and find the error myself, but there are about 50
> class files each with 50 methods in this one object (all of which make
> references to methods in their own class and to other classes and other
> objects.)

> PLEASE HELP!  ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!

> Greg

Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:11:30 GMT

1. Error 458: Variable uses an Automation type not supported in Visual Basic

2. ADODB Error: Variable uses an Automation type not supported in Visual Basic

3. Variable uses an Automation type not supported in Visual Basic

4. Variable uses Automation Type not supported in Visual Basic

5. variable uses an automation type not supported in visual basic

6. Variable uses Automation type not supported in Visual Basic

7. variable uses an automation type not supported in visual basic

8. variable uses an automation type not supported in visual basic

9. Variable uses an Automation type not supported in Visual Basic

10. ErrMsg: Variable uses an Automation type not supported in Visual Basic

11. Variable uses an Automation type not supported in Visual Basic

12. Variable uses an Automation type not supported in Visual Basic for ADO recordset