Calling a COM call back object's method fails if it is in Windows 98
Author Message
 Calling a COM call back object's method fails if it is in Windows 98

We have a method in a COM+ component that, as a parameter, takes a pointer

to a COM component interface on the client machine. The server then calls

methods in the client-side component.

We have set the security settings in the client, and it works perfectly

under Window 2000. The problem is that one of our developers just tried it

from his Win98 machine and when it tries to call back into the client, we

get the following HRESULT error:

0x800706BB: The RPC server is too busy to complete this operation.

Any ideas on the cause?

What is basically happening on the client side is that it is creating an

instance of yet another COM object on the client machine, and returning the

interface pointer back to the COM+ object.

Thanks for any ideas that you guys may have.

Tue, 09 Dec 2003 21:10:25 GMT
 Calling a COM call back object's method fails if it is in Windows 98
Look for this issue on MSDN, it is known issue with DCOM when using
win98 and it's a problem I had once.  Usually, it's a security issue
on the win98 side.  You have to run DCOMCMFG on the win98 machine and
allow servers to be launched on the 98 side.  Also, it could be the
result of the server being too busy to handle the client request.  If
you get the message randomly this may be the cause rather than the
above.  Hope this helps.  It's been a while since I had this problem
and it was with NT 4.0 and win98 so keep that in mind...
Quote:
> from his Win98 machine and when it tries to call back into the client, we

> get the following HRESULT error:

> 0x800706BB: The RPC server is too busy to complete this operation.

> Any ideas on the cause?

Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:48:58 GMT

1. Windows '98 API Calls

2. COM Method call Fails error # -2146788248

3. API Calls in Windows NT as well as Windows 95/98

4. calling a COM dll from outlook 98

5. Performance of ASP pages calling COM object methods

6. Maybe a newbie question : Howto have a timeout on a COM Object method call

7. Problem calling a method of a COM object with VB

8. Performance of ASP pages calling COM object methods

9. com object will not read registry when com object called from asp (vb works fine)

10. Call VB DLL or COM object from within VB COM object or EXE

11. Access 2 and Windows 98 - Illegal Function Call

12. How to call COM+ in Windows 98 Client?