MSComm Control.
Author Message
 MSComm Control.

I'm presently developing a POS program that will print into a serial port
(utilizing the web as the app's interface). I tried using the MSComm Control
and it works just fine in my VB app.. Can I use the same control on a web
interface? As far as i know, this is possible. However, the MSCOMM control
should be downloaded to the client and must be registered automatically?
Another thing, how will I know that the printer is online and attached to
the serial port? Am not using any printer device driver(Using this is out of
the question). Any bright idea from noted gurus?

Wed, 12 May 2004 09:54:37 GMT
 MSComm Control.

Can I use the same control on a web

No.  You can create an ActiveX server (DLL or EXE) that you call from your
ASP code using CreateObject.  The ActiveX server code can wrap MSComm in a
class module to make its properties available.  The mComm example on my
homepage may be compiled as an ActiveX for this purpose (I have done so, so
I know that it works).

Richard Grier  (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)
Hard & Software
12962 West Louisiana Avenue
Lakewood, CO  80228
303-986-2179 (voice)
303-986-3143 (fax)
Leave voice mail or fax that I can receive as email at 303-593-9315
Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 2nd
Edition ISBN 1-890422-25-8 (355 pages).
For information look on my homepage at
Use the Books link to order.  For faster service contact the publisher at

Thu, 13 May 2004 06:38:26 GMT

1. MSCOMM Control ..Interface To RS-4323 Weighing control......

2. Can mscomm control send /receive extended ASCII?

3. MSCOMM control

5. MSComm Control Question

6. MSComm Control 6.0 and Time Out?

7. MSComm control dropping characters

8. Question about mscomm control

9. I'm having a problem using the MSComm control I hope someone can help

10. MSCOMM control - How do I send a text file attachement to another machine

11. MSComm Control 6.0 and Time Out?

12. Question about mscomm control