Set up a VB service on win 2000 Server
Author Message
 Set up a VB service on win 2000 Server

How can I set up a VB service on a Win 2000 Server?
I have to start a VB job on a scheduled time.

Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:27:31 GMT
 Set up a VB service on win 2000 Server
Hi there,
   Same way as you create a service for NT4. If you will be creating a
Windows Service I suggest that you create this service under Visual C++
for various reasons like this is more flexible and reliable. There are
many disadvantages when creating a service under VB. Refer to
msdn.microsoft.com. After you create a service program under VC++ then
you can set a service on your VB program that will run even if there is
no one logged in to your computer. Refer to this link
http://www.codeproject.com/system/windowsservices.asp

Alrazen Estrella
System Analyst/Programmer
Philippines
(KillerACE)

Sat, 24 Jul 2004 12:58:55 GMT
 Set up a VB service on win 2000 Server
Thank u,
unfortunately i don't know VC++, this is the reason because i'm trying
to create a service with VB. You said that i could find some explanation
on MSDN. Where exactly?

Your link is now in my fovorites.

BYE.

Sat, 24 Jul 2004 16:11:14 GMT
 Set up a VB service on win 2000 Server
Hi there,

   VB6 is not recommended for writing services. If you want to create a
service do it in VC++. One experience that I had before when I did a VB6
approach on this, it always hangs-up. It's so hard for VB6 to get to the
system-level information needed to provide a service's functionality.
But, if you really want to do it in VB use VB.Net. It has an in-built
support for developing Services.

Check this link for creating Services :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvs...

Sorry, I forgot the link for the VB6 limitation and disadvantages for
creating a windows service that can be found in msdn.microsoft.com. I'm
still trying to look for it again.

Alrazen Estrella
System Analyst/Programmer
Philippines
(KillerACE)

Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:25:46 GMT
 Set up a VB service on win 2000 Server
I found the article.
Is number is Q175948 (www.microsoft.com).

Your opinion is correct, now I have to find another way to solve my
problem.

Thank yuo very much! At the next time.

Gianfranco Martino
Programmers
Italy

Sat, 24 Jul 2004 20:45:54 GMT
 Set up a VB service on win 2000 Server
Try Desaware's NT Service Toolkit.  Works fine for me.
www.desaware.com

HTH,

--
Chris Rybitski
Intelligent Data Design Inc.

Quote:
> I found the article.
> Is number is Q175948 (www.microsoft.com).

> Your opinion is correct, now I have to find another way to solve my
> problem.

> Thank yuo very much! At the next time.

> Gianfranco Martino
> Programmers
> Italy

Sat, 24 Jul 2004 21:20:36 GMT
 Set up a VB service on win 2000 Server
Hi,
   That's great.

Alrazen Estrella
System Analyst/Programmer
Philippines
(KillerACE)

Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:05:58 GMT

1. look if a nt service is runnning (window 2000 server), in vb net

2. Nt or Win 2000 service

3. Nt or win 2000 service

4. set permission to a folder in Win 2000

5. VBEE app as service in Windows 2000 server?

6. Setting Computer Name in Win 2000

7. Global Multi-Use Does NOT work on Win 2000 Advanced Server

8. fax server in win 2000

9. fax server in win 2000

10. MTS Reference VB6 sp5 in Win 2000 server HELP

11. can't debug sql server 7.0 in win 2000 pro

12. pocketpc sdk 2002 can't work with win 2000 server