Distribution of an Application
Author Message
 Distribution of an Application

Hello again my friends...
    I need distribute my application with DAO and Microsoft Jet 4.0 DLLs
How can i do without MDAC "(8.0MB)"

Thu, 22 Jul 2004 02:51:45 GMT
 Distribution of an Application
Hi!

You should just set a reference to the various libraries when you compile
your program. If you then use the Setup and Deployment wizard, it
automatically creates a CAB file with the required libraries.

ALso, try and see if you can post your messages to as few groups as
possible. This question probably belongs in one of the database groups
rather than the entire bunch. Thanks.

Regards,
Rafiq R. Ali

Karachi, Pakistan
No DSL, but it's still a happy place to be!

Hello again my friends...
    I need distribute my application with DAO and Microsoft Jet 4.0 DLLs
How can i do without MDAC "(8.0MB)"

Thu, 22 Jul 2004 03:32:16 GMT
 Distribution of an Application

Quote:

> Hello again my friends...

Friends don't let friends post HTML.  Click "Plain Text" in Tools/Options/Send!

Quote:
>     I need distribute my application with DAO and Microsoft Jet 4.0 DLLs
> How can i do without MDAC "(8.0MB)"

The Jet DLLs are available in separate downloads:

 URL:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;;q239114

I'm not absolutely certain the SP5 installer is self-sufficient, so install
this one first:

 URL:http://microsoft.com/data/download_Jet4SP3.htm

Depending on the target system, you might be right back at 8MB!  Perhaps you
can get away with using Jet 3.5 instead:

 URL:http://microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=12643

Watch out for those replication DLLs, though:

 URL:http://trigeminal.com/usenet/usenet030.asp

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  Wanna buy a Bridge? <http://xenu.net/>

Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:38:52 GMT
 Distribution of an Application
**If** you can safely say that your clients are going to have [the
right version of] MDAC already installed, drop it from your
Installation Package.  But *only* if you're certain.  Generally, if
they've had one application installed with this included, you'll only
need to install it again if MDAC itself changes.

But beware of tuning your packages too far.  I went down the
road of separately supplying the VB run-times (and MDAC),
then supplying *much* smaller packages.  But my Users were
installing the applications over and over - they wouldn't believe
that an application could install /that/ fast.

HTH,
    Phill  W.

Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:37:34 GMT

1. Distribution of Finished Application

2. Distribution of an Application

3. Distribution of an Application

4. Distribution of IIS Application...

5. APPLICATION DISTRIBUTION

6. Application distribution

7. Distribution of VB6/ADO applications: General Question.

8. Need Help With Application Distribution Wizard

9. Question about distribution of applications..

10. Application distribution problems.

11. VB 6.0 Application Distribution problem.

12. Distribution of VB6/ADO applications: General Question.