Upload File Client Server
Author Message
 Upload File Client Server

I need to upload a file from client to server in Visual Basic.

Most resources available are for ASP?

Anything for me to take of in a pure client server application?

Can you please point me to some resources?

Pls advise

TIA

Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:19:54 GMT
 Upload File Client Server
The actual question .. no clue from where the mp3 thing came in :)
Quote:

> I need to upload a file from client to server in Visual Basic.

> Most resources available are for ASP?

> Anything for me to take of in a pure client server application?

> Can you please point me to some resources?

> Pls advise

> TIA

Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:23:07 GMT
 Upload File Client Server
On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 13:49:54 +0530, "Santosh"

Quote:

>I need to upload a file from client to server in Visual Basic.

>Most resources available are for ASP?

>Anything for me to take of in a pure client server application?

>Can you please point me to some resources?

WinINet will allow you to connect to an ftp server with minimum fuss
(that's what the ftp logain at the start of your post implies you're
doing).  You'll require an ftp srver on the server, of course.  You
can get some small free ones (nopt necessarily secure though).  Or
install the MS FTP manager that come on the NT Option Pack.

If you want your own, bespoke, client/server, you can write it using
the Winsock control, but you'll have to invent your own protocols.
Easy enough to do, if you know what you want to acheive.

James

Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:16:42 GMT
 Upload File Client Server
A little more help and I should do fine ...

I dont want to use FTP

I just want to upload to a shared folder after authentication

Any suggestion?

Quote:
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 13:49:54 +0530, "Santosh"

> >I need to upload a file from client to server in Visual Basic.

> >Most resources available are for ASP?

> >Anything for me to take of in a pure client server application?

> >Can you please point me to some resources?

> WinINet will allow you to connect to an ftp server with minimum fuss
> (that's what the ftp logain at the start of your post implies you're
> doing).  You'll require an ftp srver on the server, of course.  You
> can get some small free ones (nopt necessarily secure though).  Or
> install the MS FTP manager that come on the NT Option Pack.

> If you want your own, bespoke, client/server, you can write it using
> the Winsock control, but you'll have to invent your own protocols.
> Easy enough to do, if you know what you want to acheive.

> James

Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:17:44 GMT
 Upload File Client Server
On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:47:44 +0530, "Santosh"

Quote:

>A little more help and I should do fine ...

>I dont want to use FTP

>I just want to upload to a shared folder after authentication

>Any suggestion?

Yeah - just share the folder on the server, and access it like this:

\\Server\ShareName\Filename

Windows NT will handle authenitcation for you automatically,
generating Permission Denied if the user doesn't have access rights.

James

Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:45:04 GMT
 Upload File Client Server
Any small example :)? (Free Code!!)

Quote:
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:47:44 +0530, "Santosh"

> >A little more help and I should do fine ...

> >I dont want to use FTP

> >I just want to upload to a shared folder after authentication

> >Any suggestion?

> Yeah - just share the folder on the server, and access it like this:

> \\Server\ShareName\Filename

> Windows NT will handle authenitcation for you automatically,
> generating Permission Denied if the user doesn't have access rights.

> James

Sat, 14 Aug 2004 23:03:45 GMT
 Upload File Client Server
Er... it's nothing to do with code, really.

Instead of accessing a file thus:

"c:\folder\file"

You access it thus:

"\\server\share\folder\file"

So if I have the file "data.dat" at this path:

c:\Public\Data\Data.dat

And the server is called "AppServer"

Then I do the following..

Using Windows Explorer, I share the "Public" folder, and name the
share "Public".  I grant all users write access on the folder "Data",
and read access on "Public".

Then, from the machine I want to upload from, I create a new file
called:

\\AppServer\Public\Data\NewData.dat

And Windows NT handles all security issues for me.  If the user
running the app hasn't been granted write permissions on the folder on
the server, they will get an error.

James

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:33:45 +0530, "Santosh"

Quote:

>Any small example :)? (Free Code!!)

>> On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:47:44 +0530, "Santosh"

>> >A little more help and I should do fine ...

>> >I dont want to use FTP

>> >I just want to upload to a shared folder after authentication

>> >Any suggestion?

>> Yeah - just share the folder on the server, and access it like this:

>> \\Server\ShareName\Filename

>> Windows NT will handle authenitcation for you automatically,
>> generating Permission Denied if the user doesn't have access rights.

>> James

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 01:56:45 GMT

1. Uploading files from the client to the server

2. How do I upload a file from client to server

3. How to upload client files to web server?

4. Upload to a server from a VB client

5. File upload from a vb.net client to a webserver

6. How to upload file from VB client Application ?

7. Fw: uploading files to web server using asp.net

8. Uploading file via windows form to server location

9. Determining when FTP server file Upload complete

10. Uploading specific file types to a web server