ActiveX DLL Registration problem... Cannot unregister - Cross Posted
Author Message
 ActiveX DLL Registration problem... Cannot unregister - Cross Posted

I have an ActiveX DLL, built in VB6 (VS6-sp4) which contains only a bunch of calculations in several classes.
I register it with regsvr32, and access its classes and their methods  a client app.
The DLL is built on a development machine (WinNT4) and used on a (different) target machine (Win2K).

The problem:
In debugging the DLL, I made some changes, copied the DLL to the target machine and registered it.
So now I find two entries for the DLL.  One for the current one and one for the extinct one.

"OLEViewer"  shows me two entries for the DLL (in the Type Libraries, while in expert mode)
and two entries for each method under Automation Objects.  The first of each of these is the
non-existant one.   So now I see that VB gives a new UUID to the DLL each time it is built, and I
do not have a copy of the old build to unregister.
I look through the Registry and only find the entries for the current DLL's classes (HKLM\Software\Classes\<dllClassNames>), but not the extinct one.

The real concern:
I am afraid that when this product is delivered, the user may do the same thing when receiving
an revised DLL,  and break the code because the client app still uses(tries) the extinct DLL.

The questions:
What can I do about the entry for the extinct DLL??
How can I prevent this from happening??

Thanks in advance
Dave Karon
Concepts NREC

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:49:56 GMT
 ActiveX DLL Registration problem... Cannot unregister - Cross Posted

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 ActiveX DLL Registration problem... Cannot unregister - Cross Posted
OOPS!!
Somehow made a really stupid error in NG account setup-    Mia culpa
Quote:

> I have an ActiveX DLL, built in VB6 (VS6-sp4) which contains only a bunch of calculations in several classes.
> The questions:
> What can I do about the entry for the extinct DLL??
> How can I prevent this from happening??

> Thanks in advance
> Dave Karon
> Concepts NREC

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:56:25 GMT
 ActiveX DLL Registration problem... Cannot unregister - Cross Posted

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 ActiveX DLL Registration problem... Cannot unregister - Cross Posted
Change the project to "Binary Compatibility".  See MSDN
for how to do this.

Steven

Quote:

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:15:54 GMT
 ActiveX DLL Registration problem... Cannot unregister - Cross Posted
In VB use Binary Compatibility once your interfaces are stable.

--
=====================================
Alexander Nickolov

MVP VC FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
=====================================

Quote:
> I have an ActiveX DLL, built in VB6 (VS6-sp4) which contains only a bunch

of calculations in several classes.
Quote:
> I register it with regsvr32, and access its classes and their methods  a
client app.
> The DLL is built on a development machine (WinNT4) and used on a

(different) target machine (Win2K).
Quote:

> The problem:
> In debugging the DLL, I made some changes, copied the DLL to the target

machine and registered it.
Quote:
> So now I find two entries for the DLL.  One for the current one and one

for the extinct one.
Quote:

> "OLEViewer"  shows me two entries for the DLL (in the Type Libraries,

while in expert mode)
Quote:
> and two entries for each method under Automation Objects.  The first of

each of these is the
Quote:
> non-existant one.   So now I see that VB gives a new UUID to the DLL each

time it is built, and I
Quote:
> do not have a copy of the old build to unregister.
> I look through the Registry and only find the entries for the current

DLL's classes (HKLM\Software\Classes\<dllClassNames>), but not the extinct
one.
Quote:

> The real concern:
> I am afraid that when this product is delivered, the user may do the same

thing when receiving
Quote:
> an revised DLL,  and break the code because the client app still

uses(tries) the extinct DLL.
Quote:

> The questions:
> What can I do about the entry for the extinct DLL??
> How can I prevent this from happening??

> Thanks in advance
> Dave Karon
> Concepts NREC

Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:22:26 GMT
 ActiveX DLL Registration problem... Cannot unregister - Cross Posted
VB changes guids every time you compile, it's one of the anoying helpful
features. In the project properties, go to the component tab. My memory is a
bit rusty, but I think the default is No Compatibility, which is what causes
all those new guids. I think changing it to Binary Compatibility will cause
it to stop generating new guids all the time. But don't break COM contracts
with clients who expecta a guid's interfaces to be unchanged!

Quote:
> I have an ActiveX DLL, built in VB6 (VS6-sp4) which contains only a bunch

of calculations in several classes.
Quote:
> I register it with regsvr32, and access its classes and their methods  a
client app.
> The DLL is built on a development machine (WinNT4) and used on a

(different) target machine (Win2K).
Quote:

> The problem:
> In debugging the DLL, I made some changes, copied the DLL to the target

machine and registered it.
Quote:
> So now I find two entries for the DLL.  One for the current one and one

for the extinct one.
Quote:

> "OLEViewer"  shows me two entries for the DLL (in the Type Libraries,

while in expert mode)
Quote:
> and two entries for each method under Automation Objects.  The first of

each of these is the
Quote:
> non-existant one.   So now I see that VB gives a new UUID to the DLL each

time it is built, and I
Quote:
> do not have a copy of the old build to unregister.
> I look through the Registry and only find the entries for the current

DLL's classes (HKLM\Software\Classes\<dllClassNames>), but not the extinct
one.
Quote:

> The real concern:
> I am afraid that when this product is delivered, the user may do the same

thing when receiving
Quote:
> an revised DLL,  and break the code because the client app still

uses(tries) the extinct DLL.
Quote:

> The questions:
> What can I do about the entry for the extinct DLL??
> How can I prevent this from happening??

> Thanks in advance
> Dave Karon
> Concepts NREC

Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:22:37 GMT
 ActiveX DLL Registration problem... Cannot unregister - Cross Posted

after using bin-comp, when you add a new method in ur
class, VB6 is so smart that it doesn't break the contracts
instead vb6 create a forward IID in ur register, then ur
client code keep working, thats also why sometimes you see
two entry in your win register.

thanks!
Jack

Quote:

nospam and mapson)

Wed, 31 Dec 2003 02:03:23 GMT
 ActiveX DLL Registration problem... Cannot unregister - Cross Posted
Welcome to COM interface versioning and build management mess.
Enter .NET!!!

--
Sanin Saracevic, MCP
Lead Software Architect

Quote:
> I have an ActiveX DLL, built in VB6 (VS6-sp4) which contains only a bunch

of calculations in several classes.
Quote:
> I register it with regsvr32, and access its classes and their methods  a
client app.
> The DLL is built on a development machine (WinNT4) and used on a

(different) target machine (Win2K).
Quote:

> The problem:
> In debugging the DLL, I made some changes, copied the DLL to the target

machine and registered it.
Quote:
> So now I find two entries for the DLL.  One for the current one and one

for the extinct one.
Quote:

> "OLEViewer"  shows me two entries for the DLL (in the Type Libraries,

while in expert mode)
Quote:
> and two entries for each method under Automation Objects.  The first of

each of these is the
Quote:
> non-existant one.   So now I see that VB gives a new UUID to the DLL each

time it is built, and I
Quote:
> do not have a copy of the old build to unregister.
> I look through the Registry and only find the entries for the current

DLL's classes (HKLM\Software\Classes\<dllClassNames>), but not the extinct
one.
Quote:

> The real concern:
> I am afraid that when this product is delivered, the user may do the same

thing when receiving
Quote:
> an revised DLL,  and break the code because the client app still

uses(tries) the extinct DLL.
Quote:

> The questions:
> What can I do about the entry for the extinct DLL??
> How can I prevent this from happening??

> Thanks in advance
> Dave Karon
> Concepts NREC

Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:07:06 GMT
 ActiveX DLL Registration problem... Cannot unregister - Cross Posted

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 ActiveX DLL Registration problem... Cannot unregister - Cross Posted
In microsoft.public.office.developer.vba, I posted a thread "COM Add-INs,
cannot restore a built-in Add-in" that is sort of related to this. I give
the text below. Any solutions?
Last week, I had an attack of the fat finger disease and  inadvertently
deleted the Web add-in that was present by default when I added the COM
Add-in button to a toolbar in Word.

I have  been informed that the relevant file is F:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office\WEBPAGE.Dll, I have Win 2000 installed of the F drive, as is
Office 2000 Developer Edition.

Even tho the Add-In is no longer listed in COM Add-ins, Webpage.dll is still
listed  under Tools | References in the VBE, so webpage.dll is still
registered.

Why cannot I not restore the Web add-in with COM Add-ins?

In desperation, I manually deleted webpage.dll, then ran DEtect and REpair
in Word.
Sure 'nuf, it recreated webpage.dll, but did not correct the inability to
add webpage.dll to the COM Add-ins dialog.

I should think that this problem could easily be reproduced.

Note: I have no difficulty adding and removing other add-ins, e.g., the
Image Gallery from the OPG.

--
Please post your response to the newsgroup.

http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Word macros, including
converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical writing and reviewing; Standards

Wed, 31 Dec 2003 21:34:36 GMT
 ActiveX DLL Registration problem... Cannot unregister - Cross Posted

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 ActiveX DLL Registration problem... Cannot unregister - Cross Posted
Microsoft posted a test.reg file that fiixed the problem.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\WebPage.Connect]
"FriendlyName"="Web Page Wizard"
"LoadBehavior"=dword:00000008

Seems to me that Detect and Repair should have fixed this.

--
Please post your response to the newsgroup.

http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Word macros, including
converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical writing and reviewing; Standards

> Welcome to COM interface versioning and build management mess.
> Enter .NET!!!

> --
> Sanin Saracevic, MCP
> Lead Software Architect
> Interland, Inc.

> > I have an ActiveX DLL, built in VB6 (VS6-sp4) which contains only a
bunch
> of calculations in several classes.
> > I register it with regsvr32, and access its classes and their methods  a
> client app.
> > The DLL is built on a development machine (WinNT4) and used on a
> (different) target machine (Win2K).

> > The problem:
> > In debugging the DLL, I made some changes, copied the DLL to the target
> machine and registered it.
> > So now I find two entries for the DLL.  One for the current one and one
> for the extinct one.

> > "OLEViewer"  shows me two entries for the DLL (in the Type Libraries,
> while in expert mode)
> > and two entries for each method under Automation Objects.  The first of
> each of these is the
> > non-existant one.   So now I see that VB gives a new UUID to the DLL
each
> time it is built, and I
> > do not have a copy of the old build to unregister.
> > I look through the Registry and only find the entries for the current
> DLL's classes (HKLM\Software\Classes\<dllClassNames>), but not the extinct
> one.

> > The real concern:
> > I am afraid that when this product is delivered, the user may do the
same
> thing when receiving
> > an revised DLL,  and break the code because the client app still
> uses(tries) the extinct DLL.

> > The questions:
> > What can I do about the entry for the extinct DLL??
> > How can I prevent this from happening??

> > Thanks in advance
> > Dave Karon
> > Concepts NREC

mapson)

Sat, 03 Jan 2004 02:15:53 GMT
 ActiveX DLL Registration problem... Cannot unregister - Cross Posted

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 ActiveX DLL Registration problem... Cannot unregister - Cross Posted
Howard,
Have you tried registering the dll using regsvr32?

Dave

Quote:

> In microsoft.public.office.developer.vba, I posted a thread "COM Add-INs,
> cannot restore a built-in Add-in" that is sort of related to this. I give
> the text below. Any solutions?
> Last week, I had an attack of the fat finger disease and  inadvertently
> deleted the Web add-in that was present by default when I added the COM
> Add-in button to a toolbar in Word.

> I have  been informed that the relevant file is F:\Program Files\Microsoft
> Office\Office\WEBPAGE.Dll, I have Win 2000 installed of the F drive, as is
> Office 2000 Developer Edition.

> Even tho the Add-In is no longer listed in COM Add-ins, Webpage.dll is still
> listed  under Tools | References in the VBE, so webpage.dll is still
> registered.

> Why cannot I not restore the Web add-in with COM Add-ins?

> In desperation, I manually deleted webpage.dll, then ran DEtect and REpair
> in Word.
> Sure 'nuf, it recreated webpage.dll, but did not correct the inability to
> add webpage.dll to the COM Add-ins dialog.

> I should think that this problem could easily be reproduced.

> Note: I have no difficulty adding and removing other add-ins, e.g., the
> Image Gallery from the OPG.

> --
> Please post your response to the newsgroup.

> http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Word macros, including
> converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical writing and reviewing; Standards

Sat, 03 Jan 2004 02:43:19 GMT

 [ 16 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. beans.ocx cannot be loaded, when you unregister and register the JavaBean as an ActiveX Component

2. (Warning: cross posted) Script problem only works in IE

3. Register/Unregister ActiveX exes and dlls

4. How to Unregister ActiveX DLL that was deleted?

5. how to unregister an activeX dll?

6. Can't change SystemDB A2K or A97 (Cross posted)

7. Windows to UNIX end of line conversion (CRoss Posted)

8. ACTIVEx load problem / registration problem ??????

9. Please don't answer messages that have been cross posted

10. Please don't answer messages that have been cross posted

11. ActiveX DLL Registration Error

12. ActiveX and DLL registration