Compiling DLL and getting Permission Denied
Author Message
 Compiling DLL and getting Permission Denied

I'm getting a Permission Denied error message when I compile my DLL.

I built a COM DLL in VB6 on a Win2K platform. I had set the Compatibility
Mode to Binary. I have always been able to compile a new version of the DLL
whenever I needed to in VB6.

I recently had to create a new user account on my computer because I'm now
using a different domain (not sure if this is related).

I reattached to the SourceSafe project, brought down the source code, set
the compatibility to Binary and provided the path to the file. When I go to
compile the DLL, I get a "Permission Denied" error message.

I try to delete the DLL manually, and it says "Cannot delete xx.dll. There
has been a sharing violation".

The weird thing is that I don't have any other apps using the DLL or
referencing it.

How come this is happening, and how can I fix it?

TIA
Scott

Sat, 11 Sep 2004 05:22:07 GMT
 Compiling DLL and getting Permission Denied
I don't know if this is germane to what you're doing, but I had this same
problem once after registering a DLL and adding it into a COM+ application
in Windows 2000. I was able to take care of the problem by going into
Component Services in the administration tools and stopping the COM+ app.
After that I could delete the DLL without any problems.

Good luck! /gary mcdonnell
-----------

[...]

Sat, 11 Sep 2004 06:03:07 GMT
 Compiling DLL and getting Permission Denied
Try this, just in case it works.

Close all the code/form design windows of the project. Close VB. Open
VB. Open the project again. Save it immediately. Try to compile.

Don't delete the compiled DLL unless you have a backup, otherwise the
binary compatibility won't be enforcable (that's probably why you can't
delete it, VB is using it because you have that project open inVB).

CM:

Quote:
> I'm getting a Permission Denied error message when I compile my DLL.

> I built a COM DLL in VB6 on a Win2K platform. I had set the
Compatibility
> Mode to Binary. I have always been able to compile a new version of
the DLL
> whenever I needed to in VB6.

> I recently had to create a new user account on my computer because I'm
now
> using a different domain (not sure if this is related).

> I reattached to the SourceSafe project, brought down the source code,
set
> the compatibility to Binary and provided the path to the file. When I
go to
> compile the DLL, I get a "Permission Denied" error message.

> I try to delete the DLL manually, and it says "Cannot delete xx.dll.
There
> has been a sharing violation".

> The weird thing is that I don't have any other apps using the DLL or
> referencing it.

> How come this is happening, and how can I fix it?

> TIA
> Scott

Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:04:51 GMT
[...]

Any number of processes could have your DLL loaded in memory. In addtion to the
two previously mentioned, if you're using the component from a web page or
Visual Studio you may need to shut down the web server or Visual Studio in order
to unload your component.

A good way to find out what process(es) have your component loaded it to use the
Handle utility (http://www.sysinternals.com).

Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:50:50 GMT

1. Compiling Project Group, getting permission denied

2. Compiling Project Group, getting permission denied

3. Compiling Project Group, getting permission denied

4. Permission Denied and Avoiding DLL Compiling During Development

5. Permission Denied on Compile of DLL using Personal Web Server

6. ActiveX DLL Re-Compile: Permission Denied (AGAIN)

7. Permission Denied(compile error) with opendatabase statement

8. compiling and rdo denied permissions

9. vb5 compile error: permission denied on opendatabase

10. Permission denied with RDO when compiling

11. permission denied when re-compiling

12. Permission Denied while compiling...