DCOM + W2000
Author Message
 DCOM + W2000

Background:
I have a DCOM component sitting on an NT4 Server.  I have an app which
creates+uses the component.  When the app is running on an NT4 machine
everything works, however when it runs on a W2000 machine I get the
following error:

-2147022986 - Automation error The object exporter specified was not found.

Has anybody comes across this or similar problems, or know of any changes in
DCOM under 2000 I should look at.

Thanks,

James Brockbank
Software Engineer

Mon, 20 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 DCOM + W2000
Got this from the MSDN

DCOM will not work if TCP/IP is installed but the machine has no assigned IP
address. This situation may show up as error 0x80070776 (The object exporter
specified was not found) returned from a failed CoGetClassObject or
CoCreateInstance call.

The operation of COM uses some entries in the registry to control
distributed COM security. You can use the REGEDIT, DCOMCNFG, or OLEVIEWER
tools to manually view and edit these entries. COM can be configured by
default so that only machine accounts with Administrator privilege can
remotely start and access objects of existing COM component classes. This
restriction is set as a configurable machine-wide default registry entries
on the remote machine. It is located in the registry as follows.

  \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OLE\DefaultLaunchPermission
  \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OLE\DefaultAcces{*filter*}ission

You can

if you have a question you always can check the MSDN yourself at
http://www.*-*-*.com/ (see search section)

Quote:
> Background:
> I have a DCOM component sitting on an NT4 Server.  I have an app which
> creates+uses the component.  When the app is running on an NT4 machine
> everything works, however when it runs on a W2000 machine I get the
> following error:

Thu, 23 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. DCOM, DCOM , DCOM!!!

2. DCOM: Cannot cannot connect multiple users to a DCOM server

3. DCOM: Cannot cannot connect multiple users to a DCOM server

4. DCOM: Cannot cannot connect multiple users to a DCOM server

5. Automation problem A97 with W2000/W97

6. automation problem: A97 with W97 / W2000

7. Using the enter key to tab between controls W2000

8. Mail Merge toolbar in W97 & W2000

9. W2000 - change initial focus of the file insert dialog box

10. PageTray problems W97 and W2000

11. Automation problem A97 with W97/W2000

12. What registry settings to use Word as Com server under W2000