Unable to delete dll file
Author Message
 Unable to delete dll file

I have created a dll component using VB6.  I compiled it
and used it in an asp page.  Now I want to make change and
run in debug mode.  Since the dll is already registered
during compilation, I could not go to debug mode and it
always reads the dll file.  I tried to delete the dll file
and get "Cannot delete filename: There has been a sharing
violation.  The source or destination file may be in use"
message.  I had to reboot for every change.  I am sure
there must be a way to get around this issue, but I don't
know how.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 02:45:51 GMT
 Unable to delete dll file
Hi Ramesh
You can unregister the dll you created using Regsvr32 -u "<Full path of dll
including .dll in the name"
Eg:
regsvr32 -u "<C:\mydlishere.dll"
in the Start - Run.
This will unregister the dll in memory and then you can create your new
version there.

--
Endrun Anbudan
M. Yagyaraman

Money is an article which may be used as a universal passport to everywhere
except heaven, and as a universal provider of everything except
ness.      -----     Anonymous

Quote:
> I have created a dll component using VB6.  I compiled it
> and used it in an asp page.  Now I want to make change and
> run in debug mode.  Since the dll is already registered
> during compilation, I could not go to debug mode and it
> always reads the dll file.  I tried to delete the dll file
> and get "Cannot delete filename: There has been a sharing
> violation.  The source or destination file may be in use"
> message.  I had to reboot for every change.  I am sure
> there must be a way to get around this issue, but I don't
> know how.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks.

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:25:17 GMT
 Unable to delete dll file
Stopping the IIS Admin service will probalby also help a lot.

I include some files so you do not have to open the Services Panel again and
again.

Quote:
> I have created a dll component using VB6.  I compiled it
> and used it in an asp page.  Now I want to make change and
> run in debug mode.  Since the dll is already registered
> during compilation, I could not go to debug mode and it
> always reads the dll file.  I tried to delete the dll file
> and get "Cannot delete filename: There has been a sharing
> violation.  The source or destination file may be in use"
> message.  I had to reboot for every change.  I am sure
> there must be a way to get around this issue, but I don't
> know how.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks.

begin 666 startIIS.cmd

`
end

begin 666 StopIIS.cmd

`
end

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:22:40 GMT
 Unable to delete dll file
Thank you for your quick reply.  I have tried that trick and never
worked for me.  I even tried to stop the IIS service and still it didn't
help.

Thank you very much for your time and looking forward to hear more.

Endrum Anbudan.
-Ramesh

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:55:30 GMT
 Unable to delete dll file

Quote:

> I have created a dll component using VB6.  I compiled it
> and used it in an asp page.  Now I want to make change and
> run in debug mode.  Since the dll is already registered
> during compilation, I could not go to debug mode and it
> always reads the dll file.  I tried to delete the dll file
> and get "Cannot delete filename: There has been a sharing
> violation.  The source or destination file may be in use"
> message.  I had to reboot for every change.  I am sure
> there must be a way to get around this issue, but I don't
> know how.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks.

The problem you are having is most likely because once you load a web
page that uses a .dll, it is running in the IIS process (.dll being an
in process server)

The solution is to run "iisreset" from the command line, so that  the
.dll is no longer loaded in the IIS memory space.

-Jon

MCSD
www.commercecomponents.com

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:57:47 GMT
 Unable to delete dll file

Thank you very much guys.  It worked.  Stopping and starting IIS Admin
Service helped.  I could not use iisreset since I am still running NT
4.0

Thank you once again.

Wed, 27 Oct 2004 01:23:50 GMT
 Unable to delete dll file
You're not releasing the /a refernce to it. A reboot normally fixes this or
CRTL-ALT-DEL and see if you app is still in memory, end it.

Otherwise, follow Yagyaraman's advice....

Quote:
> Hi Ramesh
> You can unregister the dll you created using Regsvr32 -u "<Full path of
dll
> including .dll in the name"
> Eg:
> regsvr32 -u "<C:\mydlishere.dll"
> in the Start - Run.
> This will unregister the dll in memory and then you can create your new
> version there.

> --
> Endrun Anbudan
> M. Yagyaraman

> Money is an article which may be used as a universal passport to
everywhere
> except heaven, and as a universal provider of everything except
> ness.      -----     Anonymous

> > I have created a dll component using VB6.  I compiled it
> > and used it in an asp page.  Now I want to make change and
> > run in debug mode.  Since the dll is already registered
> > during compilation, I could not go to debug mode and it
> > always reads the dll file.  I tried to delete the dll file
> > and get "Cannot delete filename: There has been a sharing
> > violation.  The source or destination file may be in use"
> > message.  I had to reboot for every change.  I am sure
> > there must be a way to get around this issue, but I don't
> > know how.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> > Thanks.

Thu, 28 Oct 2004 08:27:38 GMT

1. Unable deleting a .mdb file

2. Problem with dsofile.dll - unable to open file afterwards

3. Unable to load file MSDADC/DLL...

4. Unable to register file msjtor.dll

5. unable to register OCX/DLL file

6. Unable to Locate DLL (MVSCR10.dll)

7. Unable to Locate DLL (MSVCRT40.dll)

8. Unable to Locate DLL (MSVCRT40.dll)

9. Unable to load DLL: VER.DLL

10. Calling external DLL gets error 48, unable to load DLL

11. Unable to delete and Excel Workbook from VBA

12. Unable to delete controls.