So Long Interdev 6...
Author Message
 So Long Interdev 6...

Will, my experience with VI 6 is different from yours, but no more
successful.

I, too, had no beta's (VI 6 or any others) installed.  I did have Visual
Studio 97 installed, including VB 5 and VI 1, on my NT 4.0 Workstation.  My
server is NT 4.0 Server, updated with Option packs and hotfixes to IIS 4.
It was all working just fine.

I installed Visual Studio 6, including VB 6 and VI 6, about a week ago.  The
installation program detected my previous installations of VB and VI and
offered to remove them.  I let it.  The installation proceeded without
warning or error to its completion.  I did not install anything on my
server.

Immediately that I tried to run my mature and working ASP project from VI 6,
I got spurious errors from the server - a "Syntax Error" where there is no
syntax error, for example.  Whole blocks of code appear and disappear from
the editor.  The editor changes existing code of its own accord (data object
definitions, for example) without warning, and then its code won't run on
the server.

Within minutes of opening VB 6, I had the first of several crashes I've
experienced when trying to load  or run existing working VB 5 projects into
VB 6.  I've now had at least ten crashes while using the MSDN Library,
usually when doing searches with long criteria strings.

I've posted messages asking about these things several times to several
newsgroups.  I've received no reply to any of them.

Your news that I may have continued trouble even if I give up a day or two
to completely re-format and re-build my systems is very disheartening.  It
looks like I'm going to have to do it, but I'll be re-building with software
I know rather than this unstable {*filter*}that I just paid Microsoft thousands
(MSDN Universal) to get.

I'm losing money as I fight to get real work done with these tools.  I've
always waited in the past for new products to settle down, but decided to
jump this time on the theory that the products are all mature - how badly
could they{*filter*}up an incremental release?  Well the answer is:  very.  For
those who haven't yet made the plunge, don't!

Quote:

>After trying for over 2 weeks to get Interdev 6 working as well as I had
>Interdev 1 working, I've decided to ditch it until I'm confident that
>Microsoft has released a working version.

>I started with a clean machine with Win98 and followed all the installation
>instructions and read-me's to the letter.  Our IIS4 server is in pristine
>shape and has worked perfectly with Interdev 1.  The installation of both
>the client and server components appeared to have gone fine.

>Then I tried to actually use Interdev 6 - of course it all started with the
>mysterious http errors and never actually getting connected to the server -
>despite being able to use an IP address to gain access in the browser -
>Interdev 6 never made it.

>I eventually reformatted my client machine and went back to Win95 - hoping
>that would make a difference.  This time, I was able to connect and open my
>projects created with Interdev 1.  I was really starting to like Interdev
>6's new features and could see great potential - but at the same time I
>received constant error messages, database errors, and countless Script
>Library errors...  In short - hardly anything worked as described in either
>the help files or in the "Mastering Web Development with Interdev 6 CD" for
>which I paid $100.

>I've been very successful at developing with Interdev 1 and generally have
>the people and resources in my office to solve most technical problems -
but
>Interdev 6 demanded much more time and energy to getting it running than to
>ever getting any real work done.

>Having been an active reader of this newsgroup - I'm just curious to know
if
>I'm truly in the minority with my experience or did something go horribly
>wrong?

>In the meantime, I'm happy to have a functional, although less equipped,
>tool for intranet development: Interdev 1.0

>- Will

Sun, 04 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 So Long Interdev 6...
I have a feeling that the Universal Subscription versions may have built in
cripplers or are just plain bogus products.  They work enough to get the
feel of the applications, but when it comes to stressing them the tinyest
bit, they crash and burn.

I had to rebuild my system as well, and I still have weird OLE Automation
errors in VB that crop up as a GP fault under NT in ASYCFILT.DLL.  Lot's of
Off by one errors in Microsoft products these day's.

Quote:
> [...]

either
>>the help files or in the "Mastering Web Development with Interdev 6 CD"
for
>>which I paid $100.

>>I've been very successful at developing with Interdev 1 and generally have
>>the people and resources in my office to solve most technical problems -
>but
>>Interdev 6 demanded much more time and energy to getting it running than
>>ever getting any real work done.

>>Having been an active reader of this newsgroup - I'm just curious to know
>if
>>I'm truly in the minority with my experience or did something go horribly
>>wrong?

>>In the meantime, I'm happy to have a functional, although less equipped,
>>tool for intranet development: Interdev 1.0

Sat, 10 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. So Long Interdev 6...

2. creating nodes in treeview taking a long long long long .....

3. Printing long records to file with long print stmt

4. combine 2 long number into a long number

5. Internet Transfer Control: Retreiving Files via FTP - LONG, LONG Disconnect/Close

6. Unsigned C long to signed VB5 Long query.

7. Creating nodes in treeview taking a long long long ....

8. Interdev ADO SQL Problem

9. Linking Interdev to Outlook

10. Using Interdev as Debugger

11. how to use Interdev to debug the outlook's Agent Script

12. Read Microsoft Project 2000 in Visual Interdev