ActiveX Control Property Page Bug
Author Message
 ActiveX Control Property Page Bug

Hello,

I have created a fairly simple ActiveX control using W2K SP2 -- VB6.0 SP5,
and have had no problems with the control during run-time. I am however
having problems with the control during design time.

Here is the scenario:

I have a form with ~95 instances of the control that I created. I can
display the property pages for the controls without a problem, until I have
opened the property pages at least 30 times. After that the property pages
do not display at all, until VB is shutdown and re-started. It appears to be
a memory leak problem, but I have not been able to figure out where the
problem is or what to do about it.

I did a little research on MSDN and found that this problem was supposedly
fixed in a previous service pack, but it appears that it is not.

I even created a new project and put 100 instances of Microsoft's Listview
control on the form, and it did the exact same thing.

Not sure if I can do anything about this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks In Advance,

Todd Dye

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:46:59 GMT
 ActiveX Control Property Page Bug
Just thought I'd chare Microsoft's response,
Pretty lame tech support if you ask me!

Hi Todd,

Thank you for your email.

I have reproduced the problem according to your description. It seems to be
problem of the IDE, and I have reported this issue.

Thank for your feedback. We strive to capture any and all product issues /
product feedback so as to ensure that we are continuously developing
Microsoft products to meet customer needs.

Please let me know if you have any concerns on this issue. If you require
further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me know. I
appreciate you confirmation.

Otherwise, I will go ahead and archive this issue as a "Non-Decrement"
problem at no charge on this issue.

Thanks,

xxxxxx

Microsoft Developer Support
xxxxxx

Satisfied customers are my top priority.  Please let my manager or me know
what you think of the level of service provided. You can send feedback to
Microsoft

Quote:
> Hello,

> I have created a fairly simple ActiveX control using W2K SP2 -- VB6.0 SP5,
> and have had no problems with the control during run-time. I am however
> having problems with the control during design time.

> Here is the scenario:

> I have a form with ~95 instances of the control that I created. I can
> display the property pages for the controls without a problem, until I
have
> opened the property pages at least 30 times. After that the property pages
> do not display at all, until VB is shutdown and re-started. It appears to
be
> a memory leak problem, but I have not been able to figure out where the
> problem is or what to do about it.

> I did a little research on MSDN and found that this problem was supposedly
> fixed in a previous service pack, but it appears that it is not.

> I even created a new project and put 100 instances of Microsoft's Listview
> control on the form, and it did the exact same thing.

> Not sure if I can do anything about this.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

> Thanks In Advance,

> Todd Dye

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 02:51:49 GMT
 ActiveX Control Property Page Bug
Todd,

Quote:
>Just thought I'd chare Microsoft's response,
>Pretty lame tech support if you ask me!

What's so lame about it?

Mattias

===
Mattias Sj?gren (VB MVP)

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 04:05:24 GMT
 ActiveX Control Property Page Bug
If you'll notice there is no indication of a solution, or a possible
timeframe for one.

That's what I meant by lame.

Of course it isn't a major problem, and it's an out-dated product so I
didn't really expect resolution.

Quote:
> Todd,

> >Just thought I'd chare Microsoft's response,
> >Pretty lame tech support if you ask me!

> What's so lame about it?

> Mattias

> ===
> Mattias Sj?gren (VB MVP)

Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:42:38 GMT
 ActiveX Control Property Page Bug
Hi,

Microsoft is continuing support for VB6 (last I heard was rumored to be
through 2008).  When (or if) a new service pack will come out is for them to
know and for the rest of us to guess.

The fact that MS acknowleged a problem does not guarantee that they will do
anything about it.  However, it does get it into the system for possible
fixes.  Just don't hold your breath while waiting.

--
Richard Grier  (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 3rd
Edition ISBN 1-890422-27-4 (391 pages) published February 2002.

Fri, 01 Oct 2004 03:20:50 GMT

1. ActiveX Control Property Page Bug

2. How to Hide the Default Property Page for an ActiveX Control in Front Page

3. BUG? ActiveX Control Interface Wizard - missing properties

4. Help: Property Pages in ActiveX controls

5. ActiveX Control Property Pages

6. Property Pages at Runtime of a ActiveX Control

7. Property Page Usage Cause ActiveX Control Corruption

8. Runtime Property Page display for ActiveX Controls

9. Property Pages in ActiveX Control

10. VB6: Property Sheets Bug?, Custom Controls and properties

11. How to call script in HMTL page, from ActiveX control embedded in same page

12. Host for Property Pages or Public Property Page