Runtime error on European, but not USA machines
Author Message
 Runtime error on European, but not USA machines

I am distributing a Visual Basic program to scientists worldwide
( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ). It runs fine on all machines in the USA
but gives a "Runtime error 6" overflow error for a number of European users.
It is hard to track down the problem as it runs without errors on my machine.

Anyone else have this type of problem??

Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:18:42 GMT
 Runtime error on European, but not USA machines
I've downloaded your app and it gives me that error.( spanish W2K).
Do you have any CStr() or Format() call? They rely on regional settings, and
the decimal separator is ",", not ".".
Also, if I change my regional settings to English(USA) it doesn't crack. Try
changing your settings to Spanish(Spain), and you'll probably be able to
debug it.
HTH,
Jess Rodrguez

I am distributing a visual basic program to scientists worldwide
(http://oto.wustl.edu/cochlea/model.htm). It runs fine on all machines in
the USA
but gives a "Runtime error 6" overflow error for a number of European users.
It is hard to track down the problem as it runs without errors on my
machine.

Anyone else have this type of problem??

Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:51:40 GMT
 Runtime error on European, but not USA machines

My best suggestion is to switch your machine to one of the European regional
settings (through control panel) and run the app in the development
environment - I had similar problems when my app was used in France where
the decimal separator was different. The only way to track down the root
cause was to run my PC with French national settings.

It's now become part of my basic testing procedure to switch between a
subset of national settings before distributing an app (US, French, Dutch,
UK seem to cover most tests).

Steve

I am distributing a visual basic program to scientists worldwide
(http://oto.wustl.edu/cochlea/model.htm). It runs fine on all machines in
the USA
but gives a "Runtime error 6" overflow error for a number of European users.
It is hard to track down the problem as it runs without errors on my
machine.

Anyone else have this type of problem??

Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:04:38 GMT
 Runtime error on European, but not USA machines

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Runtime error on European, but not USA machines
Thank you both for your help.
At last I can replicate the error. Now I just need to fix it!

Alec Salt

Sat, 29 Nov 2003 04:26:57 GMT
 Runtime error on European, but not USA machines
So what's the error? Perhaps we can help further
Steve

Quote:
> Thank you both for your help.
> At last I can replicate the error. Now I just need to fix it!

> Alec Salt

Sat, 29 Nov 2003 15:19:26 GMT
 Runtime error on European, but not USA machines

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Runtime error on European, but not USA machines
very simple....
If you have numeric input check the control panels current user settings so
if the decimal notation is . your format and val and all nummeric Basic
function still work. If the decimal notation is , you'll need to swap the
dot and the comma before using format and numeric functions...

some source code....

Type NUMBERFMT
    Grouping as long
    LeadingZero as long
    lpDecimalSep as string
    lpThousandSep as string
    NegativeOrder as long
    NumDigits as Long
End Type

 use the function GetLocaleInfo exported from the Win32Api to get the actual
user values...

Public Function sGetLocaleString(ByVal lLocaleParam As enumLocaleInfos) As
String
    Static sTemp As String
    Dim lLen As Long
    If SysStringLen(sTemp) = 0 Then
        sTemp = SysAllocStringLen(ByVal 0&, 128)
    End If

    kernel.GetLocaleInfo lngLCID, lLocaleParam, sTemp, 256
    'If GetLastError Then RaiseError 0, GetLastError
    lLen = lstrlenW(sTemp)
    If lLen Then sGetLocaleString = SysAllocStringLenBstr(sTemp, lLen)
End Function

--
Egbert Nierop

Session management for webfarms:

Sat, 29 Nov 2003 19:37:10 GMT

1. My macros get a runtime error 5624 on other machines

2. Runtime error on machines without VB installed

3. Runtime error 50003 on some machines

4. Runtime Error on One Machine

5. Runtime errors on one machine, but not another? Same machine!

6. Runtime error -2147220992 (80040200) class not registered error

7. Error 3071...Why on one machine and not on others

8. Error 463 - Remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable

9. WithEvents and Run-time error 462: The remote server machine does not exists or is unavailable

10. Run-time error '462': The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable

11. Getting method not supported error on SOME machines..

12. Class not Registered error on target machine...