help files not working
Author Message
 help files not working

Ever since an attempt to install some commercial utility software that went
awry my VB help files have been unusable. (I won't mention the name, non-MS,
the vendor claims they did hundreds of beta installs and never heard of my
problem.) Whenever I attempt to access a help topic from the IDE I get
"Attempting to use an invalid compiled help (.chm) file." The .chm files
have the correct icon associated with them in Windows Explorer, and when I
attempt to access them directly from there I get "Cannot open the file:

Studio\MSDN\2000JUL\1033\AUTOMAT.CHM" (when attempting automat.chm, for
instance).

I did full reinstalls of VS three times and it still didn't help. I
reapplied the MSDN, etc. I even uninstalled VS and MSDN before reinstalling.
I am running VS6 SP5 on NT 4.0 SP4.

VS help is the only thing on my entire system that does not work. I really
do not want to have to rebuild everything from scratch (i.e. reinstall NT
4.0). I assume something is tweaked in the registry.

***

I have lived without VB help files for a couple of months, but I really need
them now. I can' figure out why

"IF dblOperand1 < dblOperand2 THEN ..."

evaluates as true when dblOperand1 = -1.02E-03 and dblOperand2 = -2.12E-03.

Mon, 24 Nov 2003 01:24:54 GMT
 help files not working
My shot-in-the-dark on the help file thing is that the bozo app you
installed replaced the file hh.exe.

Try going to this url...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/tools/htmlhelp/wkshp/download.htm

and download/run the "Hhupd.exe" file

Which, BTW, contrary to documentation, DOES NOT ship on any VS cd-rom.

As for your compare error...I'm a tad lost...

On my machine, the stament...

? (-1.02E-03) < (-2.12E-03)

returns false...so..."WTF" is all I can say....

Quote:
> Ever since an attempt to install some commercial utility software that
went
> awry my VB help files have been unusable. (I won't mention the name,
non-MS,
> the vendor claims they did hundreds of beta installs and never heard of my
> problem.) Whenever I attempt to access a help topic from the IDE I get
> "Attempting to use an invalid compiled help (.chm) file." The .chm files
> have the correct icon associated with them in Windows Explorer, and when I
> attempt to access them directly from there I get "Cannot open the file:

> Studio\MSDN\2000JUL\1033\AUTOMAT.CHM" (when attempting automat.chm, for
> instance).

> I did full reinstalls of VS three times and it still didn't help. I
> reapplied the MSDN, etc. I even uninstalled VS and MSDN before
reinstalling.
> I am running VS6 SP5 on NT 4.0 SP4.

> VS help is the only thing on my entire system that does not work. I really
> do not want to have to rebuild everything from scratch (i.e. reinstall NT
> 4.0). I assume something is tweaked in the registry.

> ***

> I have lived without VB help files for a couple of months, but I really
need
> them now. I can' figure out why

> "IF dblOperand1 < dblOperand2 THEN ..."

> evaluates as true when dblOperand1 = -1.02E-03 and dblOperand2
= -2.12E-03.

Mon, 24 Nov 2003 02:15:27 GMT
 help files not working
Many thanks. Hhupd.exe did the trick!

I thought maybe something with the compiler option "Allow Unrounded Floating
Point Operations" may be causing my floating-point compare problem. If I
can't figure it out soon I'll post a more specific message to the group.

Quote:
> My shot-in-the-dark on the help file thing is that the bozo app you
> installed replaced the file hh.exe.

> Try going to this url...

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/tools/htmlhelp/wkshp/download.htm

> and download/run the "Hhupd.exe" file

> Which, BTW, contrary to documentation, DOES NOT ship on any VS cd-rom.

> As for your compare error...I'm a tad lost...

> On my machine, the stament...

> ? (-1.02E-03) < (-2.12E-03)

> returns false...so..."WTF" is all I can say....

> > Ever since an attempt to install some commercial utility software that
> went
> > awry my VB help files have been unusable. (I won't mention the name,
> non-MS,
> > the vendor claims they did hundreds of beta installs and never heard of
my
> > problem.) Whenever I attempt to access a help topic from the IDE I get
> > "Attempting to use an invalid compiled help (.chm) file." The .chm files
> > have the correct icon associated with them in Windows Explorer, and when
> > attempt to access them directly from there I get "Cannot open the file:

> > Studio\MSDN\2000JUL\1033\AUTOMAT.CHM" (when attempting automat.chm, for
> > instance).

> > I did full reinstalls of VS three times and it still didn't help. I
> > reapplied the MSDN, etc. I even uninstalled VS and MSDN before
> reinstalling.
> > I am running VS6 SP5 on NT 4.0 SP4.

> > VS help is the only thing on my entire system that does not work. I
really
> > do not want to have to rebuild everything from scratch (i.e. reinstall
NT
> > 4.0). I assume something is tweaked in the registry.

> > ***

> > I have lived without VB help files for a couple of months, but I really
> need
> > them now. I can' figure out why

> > "IF dblOperand1 < dblOperand2 THEN ..."

> > evaluates as true when dblOperand1 = -1.02E-03 and dblOperand2
> = -2.12E-03.

Mon, 24 Nov 2003 07:08:47 GMT

1. VB.NET help files not working

2. Help file not working!!

3. VB help file not working too good.

4. HELP: VB 6 works with Access97 file, not Access 2000 file

5. If the Ftp_Server have no file.......the program will hold and not working ....please help me~

6. Generating an excel file with webclass not working Please Help

7. If the Ftp_Server have no file.......the program will hold and not working ......please help me~

8. File.Get does not work with files created outside of eVB

9. Help with Help - Not working in VB6 Installation

10. vba code for mdb file not working

11. Linking Text File in DAO - does not work.

12. Regsvr32 did not work to re-register .DLL files