Can't compile EXE or DLL
Author Message
 Can't compile EXE or DLL

A very unusual problem has been plaguing me for a couple
of days.

I have a VB6 project that has not been modified for weeks.
I recompiled it last week to correct a type and it worked
fine. Now I suddenly can't compile it anymore. All my
ActiveX EXEs and DLLs get the error "Error in loading DLL"
during compilation. A file is generated, but won't work on
any PC.

In addition, just for fun, I have created a new VB
projecvt (standard EXE) which contains nothing but a blank
form with an OK button to close it. When I run this
application, a MS-DOS window appears for a few seconds and
then closes again. That's it!  I have tried to create any
kind of VB app and none will work.

To correct this, I've tried:
 - Removing Visual Basic and reinstalling it entirely
 - Reinstall Visual Studio service pack 5
 - Reinstall Windows NT 4.0 SP 6.0a
 - Reinstall IE 6
 - Reinstall MDAC

Nothing works! I just can't create even the simplest VB
app anymore. My next alternative is to reinstall my entire
PC which sucks.

Help anyone????

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 23:44:31 GMT
 Can't compile EXE or DLL
I would start with the following KB article:
Q248697 - HOWTO: Manually Uninstall Visual Studio with MSDN Library

If that doesn't work you can try using filemon and regmon to see what DLL
is trying to get loaded.  You can get these tools from
http://www.sysinternals.com.

To find a KB article you can type "MSKB articlenum" into Internet
Explorer's Address Bar (without the quotes) or you can go to
http://support.microsoft.com.

Kevin Williamson - Microsoft Visual Basic Developer Support
reserved.

--------------------

| Subject: Can't compile EXE or DLL
| Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 07:44:31 -0800

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vb.bugs
|
| A very unusual problem has been plaguing me for a couple
| of days.
|
| I have a VB6 project that has not been modified for weeks.
| I recompiled it last week to correct a type and it worked
| fine. Now I suddenly can't compile it anymore. All my
| ActiveX EXEs and DLLs get the error "Error in loading DLL"
| during compilation. A file is generated, but won't work on
| any PC.
|
| In addition, just for fun, I have created a new VB
| projecvt (standard EXE) which contains nothing but a blank
| form with an OK button to close it. When I run this
| application, a MS-DOS window appears for a few seconds and
| then closes again. That's it!  I have tried to create any
| kind of VB app and none will work.
|
| To correct this, I've tried:
|  - Removing Visual Basic and reinstalling it entirely
|  - Reinstall Visual Studio service pack 5
|  - Reinstall Windows NT 4.0 SP 6.0a
|  - Reinstall IE 6
|  - Reinstall MDAC
|
| Nothing works! I just can't create even the simplest VB
| app anymore. My next alternative is to reinstall my entire
| PC which sucks.
|
| Help anyone????

Sat, 11 Sep 2004 05:10:35 GMT
 Can't compile EXE or DLL
Or reinstall or install a sp5.

Quote:
> I would start with the following KB article:
> Q248697 - HOWTO: Manually Uninstall Visual Studio with MSDN Library

> If that doesn't work you can try using filemon and regmon to see what DLL
> is trying to get loaded.  You can get these tools from
> http://www.sysinternals.com.

> To find a KB article you can type "MSKB articlenum" into Internet
> Explorer's Address Bar (without the quotes) or you can go to
> http://support.microsoft.com.

> Kevin Williamson - Microsoft Visual Basic Developer Support
rights.
> You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
> reserved.

> --------------------

> | Subject: Can't compile EXE or DLL
> | Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 07:44:31 -0800

> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vb.bugs
> |
> | A very unusual problem has been plaguing me for a couple
> | of days.
> |
> | I have a VB6 project that has not been modified for weeks.
> | I recompiled it last week to correct a type and it worked
> | fine. Now I suddenly can't compile it anymore. All my
> | ActiveX EXEs and DLLs get the error "Error in loading DLL"
> | during compilation. A file is generated, but won't work on
> | any PC.
> |
> | In addition, just for fun, I have created a new VB
> | projecvt (standard EXE) which contains nothing but a blank
> | form with an OK button to close it. When I run this
> | application, a MS-DOS window appears for a few seconds and
> | then closes again. That's it!  I have tried to create any
> | kind of VB app and none will work.
> |
> | To correct this, I've tried:
> |  - Removing Visual Basic and reinstalling it entirely
> |  - Reinstall Visual Studio service pack 5
> |  - Reinstall Windows NT 4.0 SP 6.0a
> |  - Reinstall IE 6
> |  - Reinstall MDAC
> |
> | Nothing works! I just can't create even the simplest VB
> | app anymore. My next alternative is to reinstall my entire
> | PC which sucks.
> |
> | Help anyone????

Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:37:14 GMT

1. Compiled Dll's Exe's and references

2. 'Canned' data in VB program

3. Compiled vb exe's won't run

4. Extracting Icons from Exe's Dll's Ico's into a ListImage Control

5. dbebgine.compactdatabase won't compile into an exe in vb5

6. Can't compile DBEngine calls into an exe

7. EXE won't compile with ICON

8. CoolBar isn't created in compiled EXE

9. Changing a compiled .EXE's Icon

10. MSVBVM50.DLL error in compiled EXE

11. Including DLL into the compiled VB EXE

12. GPF Error on compiling and Exe in VB5.0(VBA5.dll)