AddIn runs in IDE but won`t compile and crashes instead
Author Message
 AddIn runs in IDE but won`t compile and crashes instead

Hi,

I have this BIG problem with a AddIn i did. The AddIn runs well in the IDE
and
Winword (the target) finds it. Perfect.

(In fact i had trouble on a XP system ... Winword did not "fire" .. the
AddIn had been in the Application`s view  though .. but after just
reinstalling Office/VS 3 times to problem went away ... well)

Back to the problem. If i try to compile the AddIn into a DLL VB6 (SP5)
crashes on my XP system. Using the command line compiler i first got a
compiler/linker error. After doing a copy/paste game (which works well if i
have
a compile problem for an application -- strange enough) VB6 crashes also in
the command line version.

It happened before with normal applications but this time its hard to solve.
I just can not do my usual copy-paste game of all program lines if i do not
get a hint from the compiler/linker where the problem occurs.

Is there any hint for that kind of a problem? ALT-F5 works fine of cause.

Also: VB6 crashes a lot under XP .. and not at all under Win9x. Is this
the technical progress i was hoping for?

still hoping ...

Juergen

Sun, 03 Oct 2004 01:47:57 GMT
 AddIn runs in IDE but won`t compile and crashes instead
Juergen

I don't know if this helps. I have been writing a PowerPoint add-in for
quite a while now. I am using W98, VB6 with SP5 and also get occassional
crashes on compile. (Nothing to do with the code - works fine in IDE and
without altering anything, the code will compile after a reboot)

I have found that it is gets worse, the fewer system resourses are
available. If I close down as many other apps as possible, especially stuff
fireing interrupts, and all of the VB IDE child windows, it tends to
compile. Even just starting up the resource meter while its compiling can
crash the system.

I don't know if this is an inherent problem with compiling DLL's which is
made worse on XP as the OS is proberbly more resourse hungry than W98. I
have just learned to live with it as I can get a successfull compile 75% of
the time (as long as I don't touch keyboard or mouse while it working away)

Quote:
> Also: VB6 crashes a lot under XP .. and not at all under Win9x. Is this
> the technical progress i was hoping for?

I expect MS just want you to move to .NET. You have my sympathy. I recommend
you get a W98 PC for VB6 work instead

Do report back if you find the cause. I will watch this thread

Good luck

John

Quote:
> Hi,

> I have this BIG problem with a AddIn i did. The AddIn runs well in the IDE
> and
> Winword (the target) finds it. Perfect.

> (In fact i had trouble on a XP system ... Winword did not "fire" .. the
> AddIn had been in the Application`s view  though .. but after just
> reinstalling Office/VS 3 times to problem went away ... well)

> Back to the problem. If i try to compile the AddIn into a DLL VB6 (SP5)
> crashes on my XP system. Using the command line compiler i first got a
> compiler/linker error. After doing a copy/paste game (which works well if
> have
> a compile problem for an application -- strange enough) VB6 crashes also
in
> the command line version.

> It happened before with normal applications but this time its hard to
solve.
> I just can not do my usual copy-paste game of all program lines if i do
not
> get a hint from the compiler/linker where the problem occurs.

> Is there any hint for that kind of a problem? ALT-F5 works fine of cause.

> Also: VB6 crashes a lot under XP .. and not at all under Win9x. Is this
> the technical progress i was hoping for?

> still hoping ...

> Juergen

Sun, 03 Oct 2004 15:53:11 GMT
 AddIn runs in IDE but won`t compile and crashes instead
This may help.....

I found that third party controls (particularily Infragistics - Sheridans)
interact badly with other vendors (such as AR from DataDynamics)

To find my clash I copiesd the application, then slowly removed item by item
until it stopped crashing. Its slow , painfull, but garunteed to find what
is clashing. Then its work around time :-)

Hope this gives a push in a direction....  Good luck..

Quote:
> Hi,

> I have this BIG problem with a AddIn i did. The AddIn runs well in the IDE
> and
> Winword (the target) finds it. Perfect.

> (In fact i had trouble on a XP system ... Winword did not "fire" .. the
> AddIn had been in the Application`s view  though .. but after just
> reinstalling Office/VS 3 times to problem went away ... well)

> Back to the problem. If i try to compile the AddIn into a DLL VB6 (SP5)
> crashes on my XP system. Using the command line compiler i first got a
> compiler/linker error. After doing a copy/paste game (which works well if
> have
> a compile problem for an application -- strange enough) VB6 crashes also
in
> the command line version.

> It happened before with normal applications but this time its hard to
solve.
> I just can not do my usual copy-paste game of all program lines if i do
not
> get a hint from the compiler/linker where the problem occurs.

> Is there any hint for that kind of a problem? ALT-F5 works fine of cause.

> Also: VB6 crashes a lot under XP .. and not at all under Win9x. Is this
> the technical progress i was hoping for?

> still hoping ...

> Juergen

Mon, 04 Oct 2004 19:09:33 GMT

1. VB IDE crashes after Compile

2. Runs in IDE, Crashes After Setup

3. Program runs in IDE well, but EXE crashes

4. Program crashes when compliled, but runs in IDE !

5. IIS app runs compiled, but not from IDE

6. IIS app runs compiled, but not from IDE

7. compiled VB proj exhibits run time error, but not in IDE/debug

8. Crashes in development, runs fine when compiled...

9. IIf(Not Compiled, crash, run)

10. Running vb4-32 IDE with vb5 IDE

11. VB IDE Toolbar messed up after building Addin

12. Multi Tab Addin for VB6 IDE Code Editing