VB6 App using RDO on Win2k
Author Message
 VB6 App using RDO on Win2k

My company just recently started updating some PCs to Win2k.  We have an
application which uses VB6, and RDO 2.0 to access an Oracle 7 Database.  It
uses CreateQuery (?) and rdoQuery.Type (?) to access and pre-create calls to
some Oracle stored procedures (sorry, I know I'm probably not using correct
terminology, but I'm not very familiar with RDO).  This has been working
fine, but when we've tried to install the application on a system which uses
Win2k, we get an error number 40041, "Object Collection:  Cannot find item
identified by text".  I feel fairly certain this is caused by Win2k, but
pretty much am stuck as to how to fix it.

The users have the latest version of the msrdo20.dll.  We have tried using
an administrator account (we've seen problems with this before in Win2k).  I
have fairly exhausted the knowledgebase, and am running out of options,
other than suggesting backing out of Win2k (not a very PC thing to do at
this point).   So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wed, 08 Oct 2003 10:21:24 GMT
 VB6 App using RDO on Win2k

Quote:
> My company just recently started updating some PCs to Win2k.  We have an
> application which uses VB6, and RDO 2.0 to access an Oracle 7 Database.
It
> uses CreateQuery (?) and rdoQuery.Type (?) to access and pre-create calls
> some Oracle stored procedures (sorry, I know I'm probably not using
correct
> terminology, but I'm not very familiar with RDO).  This has been working
> fine, but when we've tried to install the application on a system which
uses
> Win2k, we get an error number 40041, "Object Collection:  Cannot find item
> identified by text".  I feel fairly certain this is caused by Win2k, but
> pretty much am stuck as to how to fix it.

> The users have the latest version of the msrdo20.dll.  We have tried using
> an administrator account (we've seen problems with this before in Win2k).
> have fairly exhausted the knowledgebase, and am running out of options,
> other than suggesting backing out of Win2k (not a very PC thing to do at
> this point).   So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q199/1/28.ASP

Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:56:28 GMT
 VB6 App using RDO on Win2k

Quote:
> My company just recently started updating some PCs to Win2k.  We have an
> application which uses VB6, and RDO 2.0 to access an Oracle 7 Database.
It
> uses CreateQuery (?) and rdoQuery.Type (?) to access and pre-create calls
> some Oracle stored procedures (sorry, I know I'm probably not using
correct
> terminology, but I'm not very familiar with RDO).  This has been working
> fine, but when we've tried to install the application on a system which
uses
> Win2k, we get an error number 40041, "Object Collection:  Cannot find item
> identified by text".  I feel fairly certain this is caused by Win2k, but
> pretty much am stuck as to how to fix it.

> The users have the latest version of the msrdo20.dll.  We have tried using
> an administrator account (we've seen problems with this before in Win2k).
> have fairly exhausted the knowledgebase, and am running out of options,
> other than suggesting backing out of Win2k (not a very PC thing to do at
> this point).   So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, meant to add this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/devprods/vs6/vbasic/rdo98/rdmsgcoll...
und.htm

Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:58:11 GMT
 VB6 App using RDO on Win2k
Thanks for the try, but no dice on either.  The offending code looks
something like (not exact, I can't remember the exact syntax, but maybe this
will help anyway):

dim qry1 as rdoQuery
Set qry1 = rdo.createQuery("{Call owner.procedure(?,?,?)}")
qry1(0).type = <type constant>
qry1(1).type = <type constant>
qry1(2).type = <type constant>

Thanks for the help.  Any other ideas?

Quote:

> > My company just recently started updating some PCs to Win2k.  We have an
> > application which uses VB6, and RDO 2.0 to access an Oracle 7 Database.
> It
> > uses CreateQuery (?) and rdoQuery.Type (?) to access and pre-create
calls
> > some Oracle stored procedures (sorry, I know I'm probably not using
> correct
> > terminology, but I'm not very familiar with RDO).  This has been working
> > fine, but when we've tried to install the application on a system which
> uses
> > Win2k, we get an error number 40041, "Object Collection:  Cannot find
item
> > identified by text".  I feel fairly certain this is caused by Win2k, but
> > pretty much am stuck as to how to fix it.

> > The users have the latest version of the msrdo20.dll.  We have tried
using
> > an administrator account (we've seen problems with this before in
Win2k).
> > have fairly exhausted the knowledgebase, and am running out of options,
> > other than suggesting backing out of Win2k (not a very PC thing to do at
> > this point).   So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Sorry, meant to add this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/devprods/vs6/vbasic/rdo98/rdmsgcoll...

> und.htm

Thu, 09 Oct 2003 04:52:51 GMT

1. CryptoAPI inside a VB6 DLL using COM+ on Win2k

2. Certain Queries Taking An Age in VB6, SQL Server using RDO

3. DSNless Connection Using VB6 and RDO

4. Using a .NET DLL in a VB6 app

5. Distributing VB6 app that uses ADO

6. VB6 app using Word97

7. telnet app using vb6 ?

8. App for Win311 using VB6?

9. VB6: Adding Uninstall Shortcut in App Group using P&D Wizard

10. Win2k nuked my webclass Apps

11. Launched App not in foreground in Win2k

12. Weird behaviour in a vb6 app using IE Control