Locks appear on icons when I download
Author Message
 Locks appear on icons when I download

I have developed an access database based system with
Visual Basic.  When I download the system to run on a
clients computer, the icons appear with locks on them and
the files open in "read only" status.

Any suggestions?  Would the version of Windows have
anything to do with this problem?  I am transferring the
files from Windows 98 to a Windows ME network, then
transferring on to a CDRW.

Thanks

Dorcas

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 03:43:15 GMT
 Locks appear on icons when I download

If you're copying on to a CD and then back off the CD, then this is expected
behaviour for older operating systems. Win/XP is intelligent enough to
remove the read only attribute, but Win98/ME isn't. It assumes that, because
you're reading off what it believes to be a read only disk (a CD) then the
files are read only, so it keeps the read only attribute set.

Sorry, but you'll have to change the attributes of the files.

I used to have this a lot, and ended up putting everything in to a ZIP file
(using WinZip) and writing the zip file to the CD. When you unzip the files,
they don't get set to read only. If your client does not have a zip utility,
then create a self extracting archive and run it off the CD.

Steve

Quote:
> I have developed an access database based system with
> visual basic.  When I download the system to run on a
> clients computer, the icons appear with locks on them and
> the files open in "read only" status.

> Any suggestions?  Would the version of Windows have
> anything to do with this problem?  I am transferring the
> files from Windows 98 to a Windows ME network, then
> transferring on to a CDRW.

> Thanks

> Dorcas

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 03:53:40 GMT

1. OLE Object appearing as icon in printed Crystal Report

2. Icons appears in Black and White ...

3. app icon not appear in the windows task bar

4. Project explorer icon clicked, but no project explorer appear

5. using that hand icon that appears over links...

6. VB application icon to appear on the toolbar

7. App, not icon appears on taskbar, tray

8. How do I make an icon appear

9. Linked OLE Object (jpg) appearing as an icon

10. VB6 programs icons appearing on the taskbar

11. WinAPI locks up entire computer when downloading file through FTP

12. WinAPI locks up entire computer when downloading file through FTP