Slow file access with VB 6.0 in XP
Author Message
 Slow file access with VB 6.0 in XP

I am running VB 6.0 SP 5 in XP Pro and I have noticed
that all my disk access is very slow (4-5 seconds for
network, 1-3 for local drive) now that I am on XP.  Open
statements, FileDateTime, FileCopy all are very slow and
this is becomming a problem I need to solve.

Oh, and I am running NTFS, seems like it might be a
permission or indexing issue, but I havent been able to
speed it up any yet.

Thanx for any help!

Mon, 06 Sep 2004 03:50:46 GMT
 Slow file access with VB 6.0 in XP
Do you have any shares connected that no longer exist?

Are you using the encrypting file system capability?

Is(Are) the(any) drive(s) compressed?

Not sure if any of this makes a diference, but why not
rule out the possibility of any of these being the problem?

D?

Quote:
> I am running VB 6.0 SP 5 in XP Pro and I have noticed
> that all my disk access is very slow (4-5 seconds for
> network, 1-3 for local drive) now that I am on XP.  Open
> statements, FileDateTime, FileCopy all are very slow and
> this is becomming a problem I need to solve.

> Oh, and I am running NTFS, seems like it might be a
> permission or indexing issue, but I havent been able to
> speed it up any yet.

> Thanx for any help!

Mon, 06 Sep 2004 04:46:48 GMT
 Slow file access with VB 6.0 in XP
Ok,
 There are approx. 6-7 shared drives, none have been
removed, all are still active.  No encrypted drives, just
standard install out of box, and no compressed drives.

It occurs with all programs that use any 'old' file
accessing.  (we have old DOS apps that are slower on XP
than on 98 when accessing data on drives)  As well as VB
apps.  It also seems to be slowest the first time it
access's a dir, after the first time it seems to go
faster, but still not fast enough, thats why I was
thinking it may be an indexing issue, but that could also
point to encryption settings on the drives, I'll look
through and see what my settings are.

Thanx!
Brian

Quote:

Mon, 06 Sep 2004 05:04:43 GMT
 Slow file access with VB 6.0 in XP
I'm leaning toward indexing as an issue too..

I thik you can (relatively) easily turn it off from the
find files dialog under More Options or something
like that...

D.

Quote:
> Ok,
>  There are approx. 6-7 shared drives, none have been
> removed, all are still active.  No encrypted drives, just
> standard install out of box, and no compressed drives.

> It occurs with all programs that use any 'old' file
> accessing.  (we have old DOS apps that are slower on XP
> than on 98 when accessing data on drives)  As well as VB
> apps.  It also seems to be slowest the first time it
> access's a dir, after the first time it seems to go
> faster, but still not fast enough, thats why I was
> thinking it may be an indexing issue, but that could also
> point to encryption settings on the drives, I'll look
> through and see what my settings are.

> Thanx!
> Brian

Mon, 06 Sep 2004 05:16:25 GMT
 Slow file access with VB 6.0 in XP
I have the same problem, accessing with a win98se copmputer to an win 2000
server. Did you find a solution ?

marc

Quote:
> I'm leaning toward indexing as an issue too..

> I thik you can (relatively) easily turn it off from the
> find files dialog under More Options or something
> like that...

> D.

> > Ok,
> >  There are approx. 6-7 shared drives, none have been
> > removed, all are still active.  No encrypted drives, just
> > standard install out of box, and no compressed drives.

> > It occurs with all programs that use any 'old' file
> > accessing.  (we have old DOS apps that are slower on XP
> > than on 98 when accessing data on drives)  As well as VB
> > apps.  It also seems to be slowest the first time it
> > access's a dir, after the first time it seems to go
> > faster, but still not fast enough, thats why I was
> > thinking it may be an indexing issue, but that could also
> > point to encryption settings on the drives, I'll look
> > through and see what my settings are.

> > Thanx!
> > Brian

Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:15:01 GMT

1. Access database slow on Xp

2. Is VB file access inherently slow?

3. CR 6.0 Designer is Majorly Slow under VB 6

4. Insert is very slow with VB 6.0 and Oracle Backend

5. Accessing Visual Foxpro 6.0 with VB 6.0

6. VB 6.0 with VS 6.0 and Access 2000

7. VB 6.0 with VS 6.0 and Access 2000

8. Accessing a project file from vb 6.0

9. VB 6.0 and drop-down box w/ MS Access database file

10. VB 6.0 + SP4 and XP

11. vb 6.0 and windows xp

12. VB 6.0 error in XP