Error 3218 with MDB File on Novell Netware
Author Message
 Error 3218 with MDB File on Novell Netware

I recently installed a VB5 application I wrote on a computer
that is on a Novell Netware network. The program accesses an
.mdb file, which it created on the network. No other users
would have been using that file at the same time.

In a couple of places when the program did an update, it
produced the following error message:

Runtime error 3218 - Couldn't update, currently locked.

One place where the error occurred is in the following code:

--Begin Code--

Do While Not EOF(1)
   Input #1, vSkip1, vTransNumber, vInterest, vPrincipal,
vSDate

   If IsDate(vSDate) Then
      vDate = vSDate

      MBSForm.datTrans.Recordset.Seek "=", vTransNumber,
vDate

      If MBSForm.datTrans.Recordset.NoMatch Then
         MBSForm.datTrans.Recordset.AddNew
       Else
         MBSForm.datTrans.Recordset.Edit
      End If

      MBSForm.datTrans.Recordset("TransNumber") =
vTransNumber
      MBSForm.datTrans.Recordset("InterestDue") = vInterest
      MBSForm.datTrans.Recordset("PrincipalDue") =
vPrincipal
      MBSForm.datTrans.Recordset("DueDate") = vDate
      MBSForm.datTrans.Recordset("LastTrans") = vReadFile
      MBSForm.datTrans.Recordset("LastDate") = Date
      MBSForm.datTrans.Recordset.Update

      MBSForm.datHead.Recordset.Seek "=", vTransNumber

      If Not MBSForm.datHead.Recordset.NoMatch Then
         MBSForm.datHead.Recordset.Edit
         MBSForm.datHead.Recordset("TransPrincipal") =
MBSForm.datHead.Recordset("TransPrincipal") + vPrincipal
         MBSForm.datHead.Recordset("TransInterest") =
MBSForm.datHead.Recordset("TransInterest") + vInterest
         MBSForm.datHead.Recordset.Update
      End If
   End If

   x = x + 1
   ProgressForm.lblNumber = x
   ProgressForm.lblNumber.Refresh
Loop

--End Code--

The code above reads in data from a text file and either
updates records in the transaction database, or creates new
ones.

It read in 20,163 records (of approximately 38,000) before
crashing.

The program ran fine on my stand alone computer when I read
in the same file.

Does anyone know why it crashed and what I need to do to fix
the problem?

I appreciate any and all help that anyone can offer.

Greg
------------------
greg -at- spencersoft -dot- com

Fri, 23 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Error 3218 with MDB File on Novell Netware
What version of Novell? You have to max out some settings about maxrecordlocks
in Novell to make 3.X work with access.

Mike

Sun, 25 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Error 3218 with MDB File on Novell Netware!

2. Error 3218 with MDB File on Novell Netware

3. Access hangs up after error 3218

4. Access hangs after error 3218

5. 3218 Record Lock error

6. Error 3218?

7. Error Code : 3218 while running application

8. runtime error # 3218 with VB 6.0

9. Error 3218 - This One Is Really Weird

10. Help, Error 3218 when replicating a database.

11. Help, Error 3218 when replicating

12. Help: Error 3218 in VB5 data access