bug in Combo box?
Author Message
 bug in Combo box?

Hi,
I've posted this message already in microsoft.public.vb.controls but none of
the people were that much interested in it. Hope I'm at the right place now,
I would really appreciate some advice.
I have a ComboBox  withe a Style : Dropdown List. I populate this list in
the DropDown Event and  I don't want to have it populated in Form_Load (it
takes too much  time and it might not be necessary if users don't want to
see it) . Now the problem is that when  you click on the combo, it drops
down but then quickly retracts.It depends on how long the mouse button is
held. So if it is quickly released the list retract, if I hold it  for aprox
2 sec, then it's fine. I've tried refreshing, setting focus etc, but none of
it helps. Has anyone incountered anything similar to this?
Thanks in advance,
Bo

Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:26:11 GMT
 bug in Combo box?

Quote:
> Hi,
> I've posted this message already in microsoft.public.vb.controls but none
of
> the people were that much interested in it. Hope I'm at the right place
now,
> I would really appreciate some advice.
> I have a ComboBox  withe a Style : Dropdown List. I populate this list in
> the DropDown Event and  I don't want to have it populated in Form_Load (it
> takes too much  time and it might not be necessary if users don't want to
> see it) . Now the problem is that when  you click on the combo, it drops
> down but then quickly retracts.It depends on how long the mouse button is
> held. So if it is quickly released the list retract, if I hold it  for
aprox
> 2 sec, then it's fine. I've tried refreshing, setting focus etc, but none
of
> it helps. Has anyone incountered anything similar to this?
> Thanks in advance,

If you're doing something time consuming in the DropDown event, I would not
be surprised by this behavior.  Is it sensitive to the load your attempting
to put on it?  If for instance, you fake out your fill routine to just put
in a few items, does the twitchiness go away?

I don't know what the rules are, but windows may be timing out the pop-up
window that's to display your list.  I don't like the way a data hit jams up
Form_Load either, but you can use Form_Activate as a sort of
Form_AfterUnload event to work this out.  You can let your form load and get
visibly refreshed, before you go to the hourglass...

Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:53:20 GMT
 bug in Combo box?
I can't get it to do what you're describing. I used :
Private Sub Combo1_DropDown()
Dim x As Long
While x < 50000
    Combo1.AddItem Format(x, "00000")
    x = x + 1
Wend
End Sub

When I ran it several times, it took progressively longer each time (which
is what you would expect) but it dropped down and stayed dropped. I'm using
VB6.

Can you post your code ?

Ian

Quote:
> Hi,
> I've posted this message already in microsoft.public.vb.controls but none
of
> the people were that much interested in it. Hope I'm at the right place
now,
> I would really appreciate some advice.
> I have a ComboBox  withe a Style : Dropdown List. I populate this list in
> the DropDown Event and  I don't want to have it populated in Form_Load (it
> takes too much  time and it might not be necessary if users don't want to
> see it) . Now the problem is that when  you click on the combo, it drops
> down but then quickly retracts.It depends on how long the mouse button is
> held. So if it is quickly released the list retract, if I hold it  for
aprox
> 2 sec, then it's fine. I've tried refreshing, setting focus etc, but none
of
> it helps. Has anyone incountered anything similar to this?
> Thanks in advance,
> Bo

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:47:58 GMT

1. Anyone seen bug in subroutine fill of multiple combo boxes

2. Standard Combo box Bug??

3. Combo box - bug in the change event?

4. Combo boxes bug in VB 3?

5. The dreaded combo box bug...

6. combo box bug(?) in Vb4.0

7. Combo Box Bug!

8. HELP with possible VB5 combo box bug

9. Combo box Bug

10. Combo Box Color Bug

11. Locked Combo Box BUG (Dropdown List Style)

12. VB Bug in click event of combo box??