VB6 Reference Problem
Author Message
 VB6 Reference Problem

I have a project group created in VB 5 which contains 1 standard exe project
and 5 activex dll projects.  I uninstalled VB 5 and installed VB 6.  In
order for me to start with full compile, I must go to the references on the
standard exe project and uncheck the references to the 5 activex dll
projects, then open the reference dialogbox again and check the references
to the 5 activex dll projects.  Every time I reload the project group, I
have to repeat this process.

I noticed when I open newly created VB 6 files using notepad that the
version number still says 5.0.  Should this still say 5.0 or shouldn't it
reflect the newer version.

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 Reference Problem
David,

I have the same problem.  I have reported it to microsoft but
unless I can come up with a small example that illustrates the
problem they may not look into it...

I did discover that if you use "File/Make Project Group..."
as soon as you open the project group (before you try to
"start with full compile"), VB will right itself and you
won't need to uncheck/check your references.  Here's how
I described the problem to microsoft (see below).  Also,
if you use the ListView control in MultiSelect mode let
me know if you figure a way to work around the problem
given below.

Ross Hilbert

I just installed VB6 (was running VB5)

Note the following 2 problems:

- When I load the progect group for my entire app
(7 ActiveX DLLs, 1 ActiveX OCX, 1 Standard EXE)
I have problems running the app.  What happens
is that I get errors in several of the projects
during the compile that says:
  "Compile error: User-defined type not defined"
The symbols it is complaining about are defined
in one of the other referenced ActiveX DLLs in
the project group.  If I open each of the project
files individually and build each DLL, OCX, and EXE,
everything works OK.  If I open the project group
and run the app, it fails.  After the error I can
go into each project in the group and open the
"References" dialog and uncheck the references
to the other project files in the group.  Then
reopen the "References" dialog and recheck the
necessary project files in the group and the
problem is resolved.  Saddly, if I save everything
at this point and close VB6 and then reopen the
project group and try to run the app, the
compile error is back!  I also discovered that
if I perform a "File/Make Project Group..." just
after opening the group, the problem does not
occur.  Also, if I reference the DLL for each
project rather than the VBP file in the "References"
dialog, I don't have the problem but this mode
of operation has lots of undesirable effects
(e.g., you can't step into the referenced code
since you're hooked to the DLL).  I guess I'll
be doing alot of "File/Make Project Group..."
commands in the morning...

- I converted from COMCTL32.OCX (VB5) to
MSCOMCTL.OCX (VB6) but found a bug in the
MSCOMCTL.ListView control in MultiSelect
mode that I cannot work around.
In the VB5 ListView (and in Windows Explorer)
if you click on an empty area of the ListView
pane, it unselects all items.  This same
operation in the VB6 ListView selects the
focus item; i.e., the item with the
box around it that is used to indicate
which item will be affected by keyboard
operations.  Worse yet, if you sweep-select
several items (i.e., draw a rectangle over them),
the focus item is also selected.  Try the
following example:
  * display a ListView with 6 items
  * note that the 1st item is selected by
    default.  this is different than VB5
    version but easy to work around.
  * click over an empty area of the ListView
    pane.  In VB5 ListView this would have
    unselected 1st item.  In VB6 ListView
    the 1st item remains selected.
  * unselect the 1st item by clicking on
    it with the Ctrl key down.
  * click over an empty area of the ListView
    pane.  In VB5 ListView this would have
    no effect.  In VB6 ListView the 1st item
    gets selected.
  * unselect the 1st item by clicking on
    it with the Ctrl key down.
  * sweep-select last 2 items.  In VB5 ListView
    this would have selected the last 2 items.
    In VB6 ListView the 1st item is selected
    along with the last 2 items.
The ListView events are not rich enough for
me to work around this problem and I am going
back to the VB5 ListView until this problem
is fixed...

Ross Hilbert

> I have a project group created in VB 5 which contains 1 standard exe project
> and 5 activex dll projects.  I uninstalled VB 5 and installed VB 6.  In
> order for me to start with full compile, I must go to the references on the
> standard exe project and uncheck the references to the 5 activex dll
> projects, then open the reference dialogbox again and check the references
> to the 5 activex dll projects.  Every time I reload the project group, I
> have to repeat this process.

> I noticed when I open newly created VB 6 files using notepad that the
> version number still says 5.0.  Should this still say 5.0 or shouldn't it
> reflect the newer version.

Tue, 20 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. vb6 and outlook 98 problem reference

2. Reference to VB6 COM problem

3. VB6 DLL Reference Problem

4. TypeOf reference problems in VB6

5. VB5 to VB6 Project Referencing Problems

6. Referencing object in form in code / Subform reference problem in code

7. VB6 crash when select Project->Reference

8. VB6.EXE keeps crashing (references CCW) - it is caught in VS.NET

9. Good VB6 Newbie references?

10. looking for an excellent VB6 reference guide

11. Good VB6 Newbie references?