Runtime Error 7
Author Message
 Runtime Error 7

I have a VB6 app that consists of two ActiveX exes. One PC
that is using it is 466 Celeron with 128 RAM/Win NT 4 and
the app works fine on it. The second PC is AMD 466 with
128 RAM/Win 98 and after opening several forms, the error
Number 7 pops (Out of memory). It does not meter which
forms I open, it seems that the amount of opened forms
gives me that error. I thought that my problem was lack of
RAM, so I upgraded the 98 to 256 RAM, but the error stayed
consistent. Can anybody give me an idea why I'm getting
this error on 98 and not on NT? Any help is appreciated.
Alex

Wed, 06 Oct 2004 18:31:30 GMT
 Runtime Error 7

Quote:

> I have a VB6 app that consists of two ActiveX exes. One PC
> that is using it is 466 Celeron with 128 RAM/Win NT 4 and
> the app works fine on it. The second PC is AMD 466 with
> 128 RAM/Win 98 and after opening several forms, the error
> Number 7 pops (Out of memory). It does not meter which
> forms I open, it seems that the amount of opened forms
> gives me that error. I thought that my problem was lack of
> RAM, so I upgraded the 98 to 256 RAM, but the error stayed
> consistent. Can anybody give me an idea why I'm getting
> this error on 98 and not on NT? Any help is appreciated.

NT is far less constricted as to system resources than 9x (which is
itself less constricted than 3.1 used to be).  This is most likely the
problem.  You may be able to confirm it using the resource meter in
Windows 98.  I don't think a similar tool exists for NT, but on the
other hand, I think the limits are so high that you are unlikely to
need one.

The only solution in 9x is to not have as many windows or instances of
your program open at the same time.

Fri, 08 Oct 2004 23:28:15 GMT
 Runtime Error 7

Quote:

> I have a VB6 app that consists of two ActiveX exes. One PC
> that is using it is 466 Celeron with 128 RAM/Win NT 4 and
> the app works fine on it. The second PC is AMD 466 with
> 128 RAM/Win 98 and after opening several forms, the error
> Number 7 pops (Out of memory). It does not meter which
> forms I open, it seems that the amount of opened forms
> gives me that error. I thought that my problem was lack of
> RAM, so I upgraded the 98 to 256 RAM, but the error stayed
> consistent. Can anybody give me an idea why I'm getting
> this error on 98 and not on NT? Any help is appreciated.

Addendum to my previous response - there are system resources (GDI
handles and the like) which are constrained in both NT and 9x
independently of the size of main memory - increasing main memory
will not increase the amount of available resources.  The limits on
these resources are much lower in 9x than NT.  You use up some of
these resources every time you create a Window - and keep in mind that
most of the controls you will use in VB will have at least one Window,
so it's not as simple as just counting the number of dialogs or
windows that are open at the time.

Fri, 08 Oct 2004 23:30:22 GMT

1. Trying to run mdb using A2K Runtime generates runtime error

2. Runtime error '429' at runtime

3. Runtime error '429' at runtime

4. Runtime error '429' at runtime

5. Runtime Error/Automation Error :-(

6. runtime error '3421' datatype convertion error

7. Help with Error on test program - Runtime Error 10048

8. Unexpected error (runtime error 50003)

9. Runtime Error/Automation Error :-(

10. Runtime Error 31037 - Error Loading From File

11. runtime error 48 error loading DLL

12. Runtime error(3012): On error resume next