Visual Basic 6.0
Author Message
 Visual Basic 6.0

I have been bugged by trying to set the break point indicator to a
reasonable color, which is always a burnt umber, (dark brown) color.
Everytime I need to add a breakpoint, I must open Tools/Options/Editor
Format and change the break indicator to a more pleasing color. I must do
this everytime I exit Visual Basic and restart the application.

Being very frustrated, I tried to edit the registry key
\HKCU\Software\Microsoft\VBA\Microsoft Visual Basic\CodeIndicatorColors...
This should change the colors perminently, right? Wrong... It seems Visual
Basic never looks at this key... Try this
and see, Open /Tools/Options/Editor Format and Registry
\HKCU\Software\Microsoft\VBA\Microsoft Visual. Change the settings in
/Tools/Options/Editor Format, refresh the registry, and note Keystrings
CodeBackColors and CodeForeColors are affected. Try the same thing with
Breakpoint Indicator, note keystring CodeIndicators is not affected by
changes.

I tried combinations of possible key strings, till I discovered keystring
'IndicatorColors' is read by Visual Basic, but not written to... I have my
custom colors for my indicators now through editing this new keystring. To
see this, add keystring IndicatorColors and set the string value to '5 5 5 5
5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5'. Restart Visual Basic, and set a breakpoint on your
project. The breakpoint indicator will be 'RED' not 'Dark Brown'. I used all
5's since I don't have the need or patience to see what each column pertains
to.

 Has anyone else reported this bug in Visual Basic?

Dan

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 06:24:42 GMT
 Visual Basic 6.0
Correction:
Keystring name 'CodeIndicators' should be 'CodeIndicateColors'.

Dan

Quote:
> I have been bugged by trying to set the break point indicator to a
> reasonable color, which is always a burnt umber, (dark brown) color.
> Everytime I need to add a breakpoint, I must open Tools/Options/Editor
> Format and change the break indicator to a more pleasing color. I must do
> this everytime I exit Visual Basic and restart the application.

> Being very frustrated, I tried to edit the registry key
> \HKCU\Software\Microsoft\VBA\Microsoft Visual Basic\CodeIndicatorColors...
> This should change the colors perminently, right? Wrong... It seems Visual
> Basic never looks at this key... Try this
> and see, Open /Tools/Options/Editor Format and Registry
> \HKCU\Software\Microsoft\VBA\Microsoft Visual. Change the settings in
> /Tools/Options/Editor Format, refresh the registry, and note Keystrings
> CodeBackColors and CodeForeColors are affected. Try the same thing with
> Breakpoint Indicator, note keystring CodeIndicateColors is not affected by
> changes.

> I tried combinations of possible key strings, till I discovered keystring
> 'IndicatorColors' is read by Visual Basic, but not written to... I have my
> custom colors for my indicators now through editing this new keystring. To
> see this, add keystring IndicatorColors and set the string value to '5 5 5
5
> 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5'. Restart Visual Basic, and set a breakpoint on
your
> project. The breakpoint indicator will be 'RED' not 'Dark Brown'. I used
all
> 5's since I don't have the need or patience to see what each column
pertains
> to.

>  Has anyone else reported this bug in Visual Basic?

> Dan

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 06:32:12 GMT
 Visual Basic 6.0

Quote:

>I have been bugged by trying to set the break point indicator to a
>reasonable color, which is always a burnt umber, (dark brown) color.
>Everytime I need to add a breakpoint, I must open Tools/Options/Editor
>Format and change the break indicator to a more pleasing color. I must do
>this everytime I exit Visual Basic and restart the application.

I have never had any problems changing the default colours from the
tools options menus and keeping the changes.  If you lose the changes
when you exit VB I would think about reinstalling VB and its SPs.
Looks like you might have a problem with the registry.

Stuart Sutherland

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 07:31:25 GMT
 Visual Basic 6.0
Stuart,

What version of VBA332.DLL do you have (\Program Files\Common
Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA) ? My version is 3.0.7019, dated 07/10/1997,
size 1,597,440 bytes. This DLL should be the one which declares the option
settings for Visual Basic. Also, I am running Visual Basic 6 with Service
Pack 5.

Dan

Quote:

> >I have been bugged by trying to set the break point indicator to a
> >reasonable color, which is always a burnt umber, (dark brown) color.
> >Everytime I need to add a breakpoint, I must open Tools/Options/Editor
> >Format and change the break indicator to a more pleasing color. I must do
> >this everytime I exit Visual Basic and restart the application.

> I have never had any problems changing the default colours from the
> tools options menus and keeping the changes.  If you lose the changes
> when you exit VB I would think about reinstalling VB and its SPs.
> Looks like you might have a problem with the registry.

> Stuart Sutherland

Sun, 01 Aug 2004 01:29:38 GMT
 Visual Basic 6.0

Quote:

>Stuart,

>What version of VBA332.DLL do you have (\Program Files\Common
>Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA) ? My version is 3.0.7019, dated 07/10/1997,
>size 1,597,440 bytes. This DLL should be the one which declares the option
>settings for Visual Basic. Also, I am running Visual Basic 6 with Service
>Pack 5.

>Dan

Mine is 3.0.0.6908 dated 24 Apr 1998, but this is in the
Windows\System32 folder where it belongs.  I have no VB*.DLL's in the
VBA folder you mention only what was put there by MS Office. Have a
look in your system folder and see if there is one there.  There seems
to be a bit of a conflict between version numbers and dates between
yours and mine.  Its looking more and more like a re-installation.

I am using VB6 SP5 on Win XP Prof and Office XP.

Stuart Sutherland

Sun, 01 Aug 2004 04:44:36 GMT
 Visual Basic 6.0
Thank you,

I will have to re-install VB then... It appears my VB installation was
overwritten with
older DLLs from some other Microsoft Product, which explains the Side
Effects, rather than a bug.

Thank you again, Stuart

Dan

Quote:

> >Stuart,

> >What version of VBA332.DLL do you have (\Program Files\Common
> >Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA) ? My version is 3.0.7019, dated 07/10/1997,
> >size 1,597,440 bytes. This DLL should be the one which declares the
option
> >settings for Visual Basic. Also, I am running Visual Basic 6 with Service
> >Pack 5.

> >Dan

> Mine is 3.0.0.6908 dated 24 Apr 1998, but this is in the
> Windows\System32 folder where it belongs.  I have no VB*.DLL's in the
> VBA folder you mention only what was put there by MS Office. Have a
> look in your system folder and see if there is one there.  There seems
> to be a bit of a conflict between version numbers and dates between
> yours and mine.  Its looking more and more like a re-installation.

> I am using VB6 SP5 on Win XP Prof and Office XP.

> Stuart Sutherland

Sun, 01 Aug 2004 04:56:47 GMT
 Visual Basic 6.0
I was mistaken... After further investigation, the correct DLL for the VB
Options is VBA6.DLL,
located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98. The version I have
is 6.0.8964,
Dated 08/20/2000. I also investigated other PCs running VB 6, not related to
my development system,
nor my company. They have the same set up...

The other VB*.DLL I hastely named was only for MicroSoft Office 97 VB
development.

Open VBA6.DLL with a Hex Editor... Look at Block 69CB0: Relative offset 04:.
If you have the same version of VB6 and SP5, this block will have the string
"IndicatorColors".
On the other PCs I examined, they did not have a registry key for the
Indicator Colors,
so changing the Break Indicator Color was temporary. I then added the
keystring name
"IndicatorColors" to those other PCs' registry, and by changing the string
value, I made permanent
changes to the Break Indicator Color, but again customizing the Break
Indicator Color
 (/Tools/Options/Editor Format) had no affect on this key, but the key does
effect
 the Break Indicator Color.  I promptly removed the keystring, returning
those
PCs to their proper states.

Perhaps your version of VB 6 is different than mine. Are you in Canada, UK,
Ireland, or Europe based on your spelling "colour"?
Are you running a foreign version, not the USA version?

So either this is a bug or an undocumented feature.
Dan

Quote:

> >Stuart,

> >What version of VBA332.DLL do you have (\Program Files\Common
> >Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA) ? My version is 3.0.7019, dated 07/10/1997,
> >size 1,597,440 bytes. This DLL should be the one which declares the
option
> >settings for Visual Basic. Also, I am running Visual Basic 6 with Service
> >Pack 5.

> >Dan

> Mine is 3.0.0.6908 dated 24 Apr 1998, but this is in the
> Windows\System32 folder where it belongs.  I have no VB*.DLL's in the
> VBA folder you mention only what was put there by MS Office. Have a
> look in your system folder and see if there is one there.  There seems
> to be a bit of a conflict between version numbers and dates between
> yours and mine.  Its looking more and more like a re-installation.

> I am using VB6 SP5 on Win XP Prof and Office XP.

> Stuart Sutherland

Sun, 01 Aug 2004 23:04:27 GMT
 Visual Basic 6.0

Quote:

>I was mistaken... After further investigation, the correct DLL for the VB
>Options is VBA6.DLL,
>located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98. The version I have
>is 6.0.8964,
>Dated 08/20/2000. I also investigated other PCs running VB 6, not related to
>my development system,
>nor my company. They have the same set up...

>The other VB*.DLL I hastely named was only for MicroSoft Office 97 VB
>development.

>Open VBA6.DLL with a Hex Editor... Look at Block 69CB0: Relative offset 04:.
>If you have the same version of VB6 and SP5, this block will have the string
>"IndicatorColors".
>On the other PCs I examined, they did not have a registry key for the
>Indicator Colors,
>so changing the Break Indicator Color was temporary. I then added the
>keystring name
>"IndicatorColors" to those other PCs' registry, and by changing the string
>value, I made permanent
>changes to the Break Indicator Color, but again customizing the Break
>Indicator Color
> (/Tools/Options/Editor Format) had no affect on this key, but the key does
>effect
> the Break Indicator Color.  I promptly removed the keystring, returning
>those
>PCs to their proper states.

>Perhaps your version of VB 6 is different than mine. Are you in Canada, UK,
>Ireland, or Europe based on your spelling "colour"?
>Are you running a foreign version, not the USA version?

>So either this is a bug or an undocumented feature.
>Dan

I cannot find a VBA6.DLL on my system.  Where that comes from I have
no idea.

 I am in the UK so I do spell colour differently than in the US,
however, as far as I am aware there is no difference between the US
and UK versions of VB6, they are both English.  I still get colour
spelt color in the instructions and screen displays.  I guess I will
just have to learnt to live with that:-)

Stuart Sutherland

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 00:21:54 GMT
 Visual Basic 6.0
I use the English spellings when I am in Irish chat rooms,
sort of the "When in Rome/Do as the Romans do." thing.
dan

Quote:

> >I was mistaken... After further investigation, the correct DLL for the VB
> >Options is VBA6.DLL,
> >located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98. The version I
have
> >is 6.0.8964,
> >Dated 08/20/2000. I also investigated other PCs running VB 6, not related
> >my development system,
> >nor my company. They have the same set up...

> >The other VB*.DLL I hastely named was only for MicroSoft Office 97 VB
> >development.

> >Open VBA6.DLL with a Hex Editor... Look at Block 69CB0: Relative offset
04:.
> >If you have the same version of VB6 and SP5, this block will have the
string
> >"IndicatorColors".
> >On the other PCs I examined, they did not have a registry key for the
> >Indicator Colors,
> >so changing the Break Indicator Color was temporary. I then added the
> >keystring name
> >"IndicatorColors" to those other PCs' registry, and by changing the
string
> >value, I made permanent
> >changes to the Break Indicator Color, but again customizing the Break
> >Indicator Color
> > (/Tools/Options/Editor Format) had no affect on this key, but the key
does
> >effect
> > the Break Indicator Color.  I promptly removed the keystring, returning
> >those
> >PCs to their proper states.

> >Perhaps your version of VB 6 is different than mine. Are you in Canada,
UK,
> >Ireland, or Europe based on your spelling "colour"?
> >Are you running a foreign version, not the USA version?

> >So either this is a bug or an undocumented feature.
> >Dan

> I cannot find a VBA6.DLL on my system.  Where that comes from I have
> no idea.

>  I am in the UK so I do spell colour differently than in the US,
> however, as far as I am aware there is no difference between the US
> and UK versions of VB6, they are both English.  I still get colour
> spelt color in the instructions and screen displays.  I guess I will
> just have to learnt to live with that:-)

> Stuart Sutherland

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 01:01:42 GMT

1. do Visual Basic 6.0 and Visual Basic .NET version beta Working Both

2. Visual Basic 3.0 to Visual Basic 6.0

3. Preparing Your Visual Basic 6.0 Applications for the Upgrade to Visual Basic.NET

4. DirectX 6.0 and Visual Basic 6.0

5. Helpfiles for Visual Studio (visual Basic) 6.0

6. using Visual FoxPro Databases in Visual Basic 6.0

7. Visual Basic 6.0 vs. Visual Dbase 7.01

8. visual basic 6.0 interacting with visual foxpro

9. visual basic 6.0 to access2000

10. Access 97 to Visual Basic 6.0

11. How to create a dll using visual basic 6.0

12. Exporting Text File From Visual Basic 6.0